The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queens Mary Maths test - HELP

Hi everyone i got called in to do a maths test at queens mary. It is gcse standard.
The reason why i got called in is because i don't hold grade B in gcse maths which is required for their Computer Science course.
Has anyone else been called in for a maths test at queens mary?

I wanted to know what type of topics should i revise. Revising the whole gcse would be quite impossible along with college work.

Please help!

thank you for all replies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi mate I think you have done it now but I have it on the 12th of feb I would really appreciate it if you feed me with any knobs of info you know about this test.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Alhamzah
Hi mate I think you have done it now but I have it on the 12th of feb I would really appreciate it if you feed me with any knobs of info you know about this test.

Hi,

The questions i can remember are:
Simultaneous equation, percentages, circles (circumference, diameter etc), metrics conversion, integration, logarithms, simplifying and deriving.

Hope i helped. There are 40 questions and they are all multiple choice. You get 1 hour to complete the test...no calculator allowed.
They said the test was 'gcse' standard but for real it had mostly A level Maths questions towards the end loool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
when did you take the exam? I need to go this Wednesday,,:d

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by iliedm
when did you take the exam? I need to go this Wednesday,,:d

Posted from TSR Mobile

Went back in december 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
did you pass it? how long took them to give you the result?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I took the test today..it Isn't exactly the gcse level..I solved a few gcse tests and in all of them ( includind the higher tier) they give you most of the geometry formulas that you need during the test..but in the queens mary exam they don"t give any..the last part( 6 question I believe) are integration and derivation..( for me were the most difficult and I didn"t have the time, either to solve them...the test lasts one hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by iliedm
I took the test today..it Isn't exactly the gcse level..I solved a few gcse tests and in all of them ( includind the higher tier) they give you most of the geometry formulas that you need during the test..but in the queens mary exam they don"t give any..the last part( 6 question I believe) are integration and derivation..( for me were the most difficult and I didn"t have the time, either to solve them...the test lasts one hour

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh it only had like 5 or so gcse questions, rest were ALevel Maths Standard. Its very unthoughtful of them to give you such questions when in their email they blatantly said the test will be 'gcse' standard. And i haven't asked them tbh...i don't wana know loool. But u can just email them and ask like tomorrow. 👍
I hope you passed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I might call them tomorrow:smile: did you pass it btw?do you plan to go to queens mary?I am a bit undecided.,I have one more option..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by iliedm
I might call them tomorrow:smile: did you pass it btw?do you plan to go to queens mary?I am a bit undecided.,I have one more option..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope i totally doubt it! And erm nah didn't really want to go qmul. I'm either going city or king's, but haven't received my offer from king's yet they are taking forever to reply! What is your other option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
brunel..they gave me and offer coditioned just by the Ielts..I didn"t apply to kings..or any other from top 10..good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by iliedm
brunel..they gave me and offer coditioned just by the Ielts..I didn"t apply to kings..or any other from top 10..good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh right i see. I too got offer from brunel but not planning on going there because got a offer from king's yesterday. Have to retake my maths though...
Did u pass the queen mary test then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi, like yourselves,
i have been asked to attend a maths GCSE standard test on the 14th.
ive read a previous post talking about the questions that will be included however i was wondering whether each set of test would be different?

the reason i am asking is because the previous post said it covered
rectangles and vloume
basic geometry
percentages
circle questions
algebra
and Sine Cos Tan

the topics you said that were covered differ..
Reply 13
I passed the test:smile:..It has 40 questions ..all of them the same value,,the last part is quite difficult..if you don"t practice( logaritms , integration etc) learn by heart the formulas for geometric formulas..manly volumes( sphere , con etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh can someone help pleaseeee!

I've been asked in for a 40 question multiple choice maths 'gcse' exam - apparently it isn't anywhere near gcse questions - I have it in a few days... Can anyone help please?!
Original post by littlemaya
Ahhh can someone help pleaseeee!

I've been asked in for a 40 question multiple choice maths 'gcse' exam - apparently it isn't anywhere near gcse questions - I have it in a few days... Can anyone help please?!

Multiple choice........should be very easy, should be quite gcse like, probably more towards alegbra,stats, etc
How hard was the test dd you revise for it and do you know how many marks you need to pass
Congrat for passing i have this test next month and i am wondering how hard is it do i need to revise

Original post by iliedm
I passed the test:smile:..It has 40 questions ..all of them the same value,,the last part is quite difficult..if you don"t practice( logaritms , integration etc) learn by heart the formulas for geometric formulas..manly volumes( sphere , con etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I need some help on what content to cover
I am also doing a maths GCSE exam in queen marys on the 20th of this month. Does anyone know the topics that are in the exam and will you be given the results on the same day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending