The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hey. Thanks for sharing this guys. I am starting my application now and really excited to work @ commonwealth games. Many of my friends worked during Olympics and I really missed that opportunity and hope I will make it this time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Hey guys!
I can't seem to find anyone who got rejected like I did! Had my interview in April and flew to Glasgow for it, I thought it went pretty well but it obviously didn't.

Here's what I got:

Thank you for applying to be a Glasgow 2014 clyde-sider and for your patience during our recruitment programme. Unfortunately today I must inform you that your application has not been successful.

I appreciate this news will be disappointing but I would like to thank you for your support and remind you that interest in volunteering for the Games has been unprecedented - more than 50,000 people submitted an application.

I have huge respect and admiration for everyone who put their name down to be a clyde-sider and you should feel proud of the fact that you offered to give up your time to support the Games. I hope you will continue to do so!

Due to the large numbers of applications received, unfortunately we are unable to provide you with further feedback.

Anyone else??
You are not alone! Lots of rejection emails going out today. Just the ones that I have come across are at least 20. Such a shame to find out that you didn't make it almost a year after applying. Best of luck to everyone who is applying to be a ceremonies volunteer, that should be very exciting as well!
Original post by ziglone
Hey. I am starting my application now and really excited to work @ commonwealth games. and hope I will make it this time :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to say, but applications closed last year, but why not apply to be in the cast for the Opening /Closing ceremony
Original post by Divingbrit
Sorry to say, but applications closed last year, but why not apply to be in the cast for the Opening /Closing ceremony

Unless he means for actually WORKING at games rather than volunteering?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Unless he means for actually WORKING at games rather than volunteering?

That's true, a lot of G4S and catering staff were students
Original post by Divingbrit
That's true, a lot of G4S and catering staff were students

Yeah a few of my friends are going to be working there and I know there was a massive jobs fair in Glasgow a few days ago for them.
Reply 227
Original post by pericula_ludus
You are not alone! Lots of rejection emails going out today. Just the ones that I have come across are at least 20. Such a shame to find out that you didn't make it almost a year after applying. Best of luck to everyone who is applying to be a ceremonies volunteer, that should be very exciting as well!

I know! I live in London as well. Ah well! My cousin got through so I'm happy for her :smile:
Good luck to everyone!
Original post by Cherrytree1

hi! I've been offered a place at Hampden park precinct too :smile: do you know what events are run in the 'precinct' area as supposed to actual Hampden park itself? And I'm not too sure what advice to offer you about the training... Maybe email them and see what they say? Also are you going as part of a group of volunteers or just on your own?

Oh awesome! Unfortunately not no, I'd just assumed it was athletics :s-smilie:
Yeah I've emailed them, and they asked for evidence so I sent them my proof of enrollment here and all. I just arrived yesterday !
I'm going on my own, what about you?
Reply 229
After being told I was a reserve and thinking I didn't have a chance, I got offered a role at Barry Duddon doing press operations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pagie537
After being told I was a reserve and thinking I didn't have a chance, I got offered a role at Barry Duddon doing press operations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:woo: congrats!
Has anyone received emails about booking Role Specific Training Sessions yet?
I got an email yesterday from them... this is for Spectator Services, just wanting to know who's going and to which!
Reply 232
Original post by Sugarbelly
Has anyone received emails about booking Role Specific Training Sessions yet?
I got an email yesterday from them... this is for Spectator Services, just wanting to know who's going and to which!

Hey! :smile:

I've booked for the 25th June!
Original post by Hero-H
Hey! :smile:

I've booked for the 25th June!

Ahh awesome! I'm still trying to find out when the cheapest flights are and fit everything in. How long do we have to decide on a date do you reckon?
Reply 234
Original post by Sugarbelly
Ahh awesome! I'm still trying to find out when the cheapest flights are and fit everything in. How long do we have to decide on a date do you reckon?

I think it will remain open for a while if I'm honest - I'd say the earlier you book the better so you can get the best date for yourself but generally you should be fine as long as you book within the next few weeks or so :smile:

I'll probably see you at some point during the summer as we're both working on Spectators' Services :smile:
Reply 235
Trying to find accommodation is a nightmare :frown:
Original post by pagie537

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's brilliant! Congrats! :biggrin: I'm hoping to have the same luck :-)
Original post by ChrissyH
Trying to find accommodation is a nightmare :frown:

http://campinginglasgow.com/volunteer-special/
I'm really still unsure when I would be booking accommodation for :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending