The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8440
Dropping FMaths & Physics

Carrying on with Gen Studies, Maths, Chemistry, Biology

but it all depends on what I get
I'm planning on dropping geography and continuing with chemistry, maths and biology (biology is a lot more useful for chemistry than geography), but I'll see how things pan out in August!
Reply 8442
Yay! Got my mock results yesterday!

Biology F211: A
Chemistry F321: A
Physics G481: A
Still waiting for maths though...

After looking at the grade boundaries I thought I got a C/B! 51/60 for a flippin' A in Chem! :eek:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
But I can't even if I wanted to :tongue:

Definitely want F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry A2 and that takes up 4 blocks which is all I'm allowed!

I'm sure you could. Drop f.maths, you don't need it!!!! Biology is such a nice (and more relaxing) A2 to study. You'll get to learn about photosynthesis and respiration :wink:
I don't really want to do five A2s, but I don't want to drop Psychology :holmes: The crap one of my two teachers is leaving on maternity leave, so we'll have TWO good teachers :awesome:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'm sure you could. Drop f.maths, you don't need it!!!! Biology is such a nice (and more relaxing) A2 to study. You'll get to learn about photosynthesis and respiration :wink:

I don't need F.Maths for Physical NatSci :rofl:

Bio is ****, just memorizing.
I don't need F.Maths for Physical NatSci :rofl:

Bio is ****, just memorizing.

I'm sure you don't :tongue:

Its really not, there's more application tbh
I'm sure you don't :tongue:

Its really not, there's more application tbh

Are you being serious? I can't tell :lol:

How can you 'apply' a fact to a situation, in bio it just is, no explanation as to how it happens!
Are you being serious? I can't tell :lol:

How can you 'apply' a fact to a situation, in bio it just is, no explanation as to how it happens!

I am, why? Lool

You're not serious right? There's no aspect of biology where you can't explain why something happens
I am, why? Lool

You're not serious right? There's no aspect of biology where you can't explain why something happens

Well then f.Maths is basically a necessity for me :rofl: as are physics and Chemistry

Yes there are, there are loads :lol:

Mutations are mistakes in genetic code, we don't know how it happens on a fundamental level or we'd be able to correct it

Plus we're never taught it.

Simple example, mitosis. What's spindle fibres chemical composition, what actually causes it to contract?
Well then f.Maths is basically a necessity for me :rofl: as are physics and Chemistry

Mutations are mistakes in genetic code, we don't know how it happens on a fundamental level or we'd be able to correct it

Simple example, mitosis. What's spindle fibres chemical composition, what actually causes it to contract?

You could use that argument against any subject which doesn't teach 'from first principles' so to speak.

Why does performing an action on one side of the equation still make sense if you perform the same on the other side? Why does gravity exist?

For Nat sciences? Are you sure?

Um, the reasons for mutations are known, and mutations aren't bad things.

If you go into chemical composition, then that's not really biology, is it? The reason you don't get taught why is because its way too complicated for A-level standards
Original post by NikolaT
You could use that argument against any subject which doesn't teach 'from first principles' so to speak.

Why does performing an action on one side of the equation still make sense if you perform the same on the other side? Why does gravity exist?

Biology is the worst for it though, we're not going into abstract logic.

For Nat sciences? Are you sure?

Um, the reasons for mutations are known, and mutations aren't bad things.

If you go into chemical composition, then that's not really biology, is it? The reason you don't get taught why is because its way too complicated for A-level standards

Physical NatSci .

Transcript errors, but what makes that happen? Chemical imbalance or? They can be bad.

So biology is usefless basically... Here is mitosis. It has 4 stages as well as a 5th in its whole cell cycle.

This is what happens in each one. How is that useful? I want to know *how* it actually happens, not just stating what we see.

Physical NatSci .

Transcript errors, but what makes that happen? Chemical imbalance or? They can be bad.

So biology is usefless basically... Here is mitosis. It has 4 stages as well as a 5th in its whole cell cycle.

This is what happens in each one. How is that useful? I want to know *how* it actually happens, not just stating what we see.

So physics, maths and chemistry (maybe even biology for the lols)

Well you are supposed to learn what happens and why, even if it is to a very basic level. A2 biology is more like that tbh so stick around.
So physics, maths and chemistry (maybe even biology for the lols)

Well you are supposed to learn what happens and why, even if it is to a very basic level. A2 biology is more like that tbh so stick around.

I did maths a while ago so I need f.Maths next year because they don't want a gap in maths. Plus I enjoy it.

Yeah, biology a2 would be more fun for me but I don't have the space to do it anyway... I'd have put French ahead but even that I cannot choose.
I did maths a while ago so I need f.Maths next year because they don't want a gap in maths. Plus I enjoy it.

Yeah, biology a2 would be more fun for me but I don't have the space to do it anyway... I'd have put French ahead but even that I cannot choose.

Maths is not fun :|

Oh wells, your loss

Oh wells, your loss

Blasphemy!
Original post by Red Fox
Blasphemy!

I once was as naive as you. I really regret dropping psychology instead of maths

Oh wells, your loss

Yeah it is :rofl:

Nah, not my loss :colone:
Yeah it is :rofl:

Nah, not my loss :colone:

Its really not.

Pretty sure it is
1391282999951.jpg1391283021416.jpg1391283042011.jpg1391283064213.jpg1391283101128.jpg1391283124023.jpg1391283193255.jpg

Latest