The Student Room Group

I'm a Convicted Hacker and Ex Prisoner - Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WGR
My mind is still clearly on the original discussion which was a request for a clear explanation as to why killing someone who threatens you with a weapon is murder.

I think it was the point in the original post about why did he have a weapon already and we don't have the same "self defence" laws as America etc where you can go and kill people for this. It's not a simple clear cut case but there must have been other circumstances for why it's not manslaughter...

Also, If you guys want to talk about this take it to PM. This thread is an awesome AMA and i don't want it ruined by your petty arguments.
Reply 301
Original post by Motorbiker
I think it was the point in the original post about why did he have a weapon already and we don't have the same "self defence" laws as America etc where you can go and kill people for this. It's not a simple clear cut case but there must have been other circumstances for why it's not manslaughter...

Also, If you guys want to talk about this take it to PM. This thread is an awesome AMA and i don't want it ruined by your petty arguments.

Sorry about that, it is indeed an absolutely awesome AMA.
Original post by Motorbiker

Well said.

Next question,what are the specs of your trusty laptop? and do you need anything impressive spec wise to do your line of work? :smile:
Reply 303
Original post by cascadingstylez
You've probably answered this already but how EXACTLY would someone with absolutely no experience start to learn programming? What first project should they aim to make? How should they learn it - books, videos? What code would be best? Thanks for answering! :biggrin:
Original post by JammyGit07
Well said.

Next question,what are the specs of your trusty laptop? and do you need anything impressive spec wise to do your line of work? :smile:

I use a 2013 15" Macbook Pro. Prior to this I had a 13" 2011 Macbook Pro and a 13" 2010 Macbook Air. I also have a 2010 Mac Pro which is my workhorse, and a Samsung All-in-One touch screen computer which runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu on dual boot.

Specs wise they're all top of the line. I make a point to upgrade the RAM on my machines to at least 16GB.
I use a 2013 15" Macbook Pro. Prior to this I had a 13" 2011 Macbook Pro and a 13" 2010 Macbook Air. I also have a 2010 Mac Pro which is my workhorse, and a Samsung All-in-One touch screen computer which runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu on dual boot.

Specs wise they're all top of the line. I make a point to upgrade the RAM on my machines to at least 16GB.

May I ask what you view as the pro's and cons of macbooks and windows pc's?

Oh and do you play games on any of these computers? ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
What programme do you use to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (e.g. BootIt)?
Reply 307
Have you heard of using a proxy and not boasting on twitter. No offense, wouldn't you consider it smarter to do that rather than get caught.
Reply 308
I use a 2013 15" Macbook Pro ...

I cannot wait for all the replies rolling in proclaiming that Macs are only for hipsters and no pundit would ever use them for anything serious :biggrin:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been very busy with work and family at the moment and haven't had a spare moment to myself.

May I ask what you view as the pro's and cons of macbooks and windows pc's?

Oh and do you play games on any of these computers? ^^

Mac's are based on BSD (Unix). I grew up using FreeBSD in the early days. I spend a lot of my time in the Terminal for various reasons, so that's one factor for me. Also stability. Regardless of what the guys on the Windows fence say, Macs are more stable than Windows. Over time windows becomes sluggish, and needs maintenance. I don't get this issue with Macs. My 2010 Mac Pro was running on 2GB RAM for 2 years and I used it for everything from graphic design, web development and music production without any issues.

Another thing is I'm a music producer too. I use Logic Audio which is only available for Mac.

I don't hate Windows. I use it alot when I work in Visual Studio. I just preferrer Mac due to the nature of my work.

Original post by ModernScholar
What programme do you use to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (e.g. BootIt)?

I partition the drive and use GRUB2.

Original post by Adamk_14
Have you heard of using a proxy and not boasting on twitter. No offense, wouldn't you consider it smarter to do that rather than get caught.

Proxy's are useless. But yes I protected myself. If I was never in touch with the biggest grass on the planet I'd have never been caught. Boasting on Twitter didn't really matter at the time because in reality I should never have been caught.

Original post by Sir Fox
I cannot wait for all the replies rolling in proclaiming that Macs are only for hipsters and no pundit would ever use them for anything serious :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 310
Original post by Sir Fox

Awkward because only a hipster hacker would back a thread like this.
What makes you a hacker as opposed to just being another script kiddie like most of anonymous/lulzsec and those silly e-clubs?
Who is the best hacker in the world in your opinion.

btw this is best thread i have read on this site.
How did you come up with your name of cascadingstylez?

And how does it differ hacking say an online game where it runs off a .exe to hacking a website? :smile:
Reply 314
How did you come up with your name of cascadingstylez?

And how does it differ hacking say an online game where it runs off a .exe to hacking a website? :smile:

'cascadingstylez' is a reference to CSS - Cascading Style Sheets which are used to change the way html appears.
My business website was deleted by my old web designer, who was basically jealous of my new website that I recently had built by someone else, On Christmas Day 2013 my website was deleted. We easily found out who it was as he left an IP address behind which was traced back to his laptop. He has been arrested, laptop is with the police, currently on bail pending his laptop being searched for evidence.
He has admitted the offence and given a silly excuse that we owed him money which is untrue, he deleted a website that didn't belong to him.
Apparantly he said he set up some sort of timer that went into sleep mode & when he next accessed his laptop, which happened to be Xmas morning, the timer completed deleting my website.
The police have said that you need to have technical information in order to delete a website, its not just a case of entering passwords & pressing a delete button, is this true ?
Also why would a web designer who has technical knowledge knowingly delete a website, knowing full well that his IP address would be left behind ?
This has caused my business a heavy loss in sales & I'm just hoping that I won't lose my business through this happening, I'm also hoping that he gets charged & a jail term.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by juleswhite
My business website was deleted by my old web designer, who was basically jealous of my new website that I recently had built by someone else, On Christmas Day 2013 my website was deleted. We easily found out who it was as he left an IP address behind which was traced back to his laptop. He has been arrested, laptop is with the police, currently on bail pending his laptop being searched for evidence.
He has admitted the offence and given a silly excuse that we owed him money which is untrue, he deleted a website that didn't belong to him.
Apparantly he said he set up some sort of timer that went into sleep mode & when he next accessed his laptop, which happened to be Xmas morning, the timer completed deleting my website.
The police have said that you need to have technical information in order to delete a website, its not just a case of entering passwords & pressing a delete button, is this true ?
Also why would a web designer who has technical knowledge knowingly delete a website, knowing full well that his IP address would be left behind ?
This has caused my business a heavy loss in sales & I'm just hoping that I won't lose my business through this happening, I'm also hoping that he gets charged & a jail term.

Was it hosted on his own servers (was he a developer/web host)? If not he must have had the passwords to the account/server. Did you give him the passwords? Web designers/developers don't always know a lot about server software/security, or maybe he just didn't know what the consequences would be (or that you'd get the police involved).

I don't see why he would get jail unless he admitted to gaining access by unauthorised means (exploit or social engineering) he could just say he was given access and deleted it by accident.
Is the matrix real?
Have met neo?
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Was it hosted on his own servers (was he a developer/web host)? If not he must have had the passwords to the account/server. Did you give him the passwords? Web designers/developers don't always know a lot about server software/security, or maybe he just didn't know what the consequences would be (or that you'd get the police involved).

I don't see why he would get jail unless he admitted to gaining access by unauthorised means (exploit or social engineering) he could just say he was given access and deleted it by accident.

He had the passwords we never thought to change them, the site was hosted by streamline. We have an email from him that he sent last April saying that he no longer could work on our website, so we have proof of unauthorised use. This was a malicious attempt to ruin my business. I just don't understand why he would set a timer up to delete it, unless he planned for it to be deleted on xmas day. I don't know much about the technical stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest