The Student Room Group

ALevels A/B students

Hey is there ANYONE out there who started hardcore revsion in feb (or later) and STILL got As or Bs or anyone whos teachers expected them to fail but they proved them wrong???? Please reply if yes, i just need hope!
Reply 1
Original post by smallbridge22
Hey is there ANYONE out there who started hardcore revsion in feb (or later) and STILL got As or Bs or anyone whos teachers expected them to fail but they proved them wrong???? Please reply if yes, i just need hope!

for summer exams??? most people dont start till easter!
Reply 2
Original post by willp93
for summer exams??? most people dont start till easter!

Yeah for summer ones. What???? Really!? My teachers tell us if you begin revising in feb its too late and youv'e got not hope

My school was awful so my attendance for A2 was around 25 percent. I started around easter time and still got ABB.
Reply 4
The earlier the better but Easter should leave you plenty of time to get A*/As
Depends more on how you revise rather than how hard you revise
Reply 5
Original post by i-love-coffee
My school was awful so my attendance for A2 was around 25 percent. I started around easter time and still got ABB.

25% and you still did amazingly. I guess i sort of have hope now thanks! I do biol chem maths and history did you any of those?
Reply 6
Original post by ermm
The earlier the better but Easter should leave you plenty of time to get A*/As
Depends more on how you revise rather than how hard you revise

You dont understand how good that is to hear! I thought starting in feb was too late nevermind easter! Goshh thanks! Do u do ALevels?
Reply 7
Yeah for summer ones. What???? Really!? My teachers tell us if you begin revising in feb its too late and youv'e got not hope

if you do feel some pressure, do a little bit of revision every day until easter (maybe an hour a day on a different subject), and then start to increase the amount
Reply 8
Original post by willp93
if you do feel some pressure, do a little bit of revision every day until easter (maybe an hour a day on a different subject), and then start to increase the amount
good idea i should start doing that thanks!
25% and you still did amazingly. I guess i sort of have hope now thanks! I do biol chem maths and history did you any of those?

Thanks, I literally did sit at home though when I wasn't at school and teach myself/revise all day 9-5 pretty much.

Nope sorry, I did Law, Philosophy & Politics which seem a bit lighter content wise!
Reply 10
Original post by i-love-coffee
Thanks, I literally did sit at home though when I wasn't at school and teach myself/revise all day 9-5 pretty much.

Nope sorry, I did Law, Philosophy & Politics which seem a bit lighter content wise!
ah its alright! Well you seem pretty dedicated to your revsion how do you stick to it or how do you actually revise?
I was predicted a D for English Language, got a B 4 marks off an A loool. I didn't really revise tbf. I revised for my Child Language stuff for about 2 weeks before exam :P

Irony was: I revised everything but Grammar and Grammar came up and I still got a B in the exam. 1 mark of an A for that section. Oh I love irony (when it's good) :P
Reply 12
You dont understand how good that is to hear! I thought starting in feb was too late nevermind easter! Goshh thanks! Do u do ALevels?

I finished mine last year. One piece of advice, don't leave things to the last minute - it makes life very stressful. The most successful people in my year were by no means the cleverest, but those who managed their time the best.

If you start in March and revise moderately, one/two hours of just revision every day, there's no reason you can't get A*s regardless of how 'clever' you are! My chemistry teacher used to say; A levels are a game, learn how to play the game and you'll win. This is so true, although I realised it a little late.
Reply 13
Original post by ermm
I finished mine last year. One piece of advice, don't leave things to the last minute - it makes life very stressful. The most successful people in my year were by no means the cleverest, but those who managed their time the best.

If you start in March and revise moderately, one/two hours of just revision every day, there's no reason you can't get A*s regardless of how 'clever' you are! My chemistry teacher used to say; A levels are a game, learn how to play the game and you'll win. This is so true, although I realised it a little late.
Thankyou i'll try to dp that! I find chemistry the hardest, what was your revsion methods/resources?
I started revising a week before exam and got AAB at AS (B due to extenuating circumstances). I'd advise starting revision as early as possible, I was being a retard and paid the price. This year I started revision before the year even started, hoping to get them A*s. :rolleyes:
ah its alright! Well you seem pretty dedicated to your revsion how do you stick to it or how do you actually revise?

I'm more of a crammer, so rather than doing 1hr for each topic and splitting it up, I would do long intensive sessions of one topic. i.e. one day politics, one day law, one day philosophy.

Then for a week before each exam (mine were nicely spread out) I'd focus solely on that subject.

I'm a verbal learner so I used verbal testing a lot- wrote Q&As and paid my younger brother to test me every other night haha!

I think the key to passing was really reading through every single past paper that ever existed, and then planning my own answers to those questions. Even if you learn no new knowledge, just by reading them over and over you get into the 'exam board mindset' and start to write how they want you to write. After all, marking is so subjective and a lot is based on your structure rather than content. (although not sure it's the same for your subjects)

Another thing I also did was expand my subjects from being purely A Levels. When I got ready for school I'd listen to Radio 4 Politics rather than music, or instead of aimlessly going on facebook I'd read a philosophical journal or something instead.I made sure they were part of my everyday life. Not only did this keep my brain active and thinking, but it also just made me feel more confident in the exam as I felt I actually knew my subjects rather than just remembered what I needed for the exam.
I started revision 6-8 weeks before my exams and had very poor attendance as I took several months of of college at the beginning of my A2 year (I gave birth in the first week of term) and got A*A*A in biology, chemistry and maths.
Reply 17
I started about a week before each exam and got A*A*A
Reply 18
I started to revise for AS exams last year in march and I got 4 As. Do like half an hour to a hour revision most days and you'll do fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest