Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

University of Brighton 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by incoqnito
Thanks a lot for the info, one last thing, did you do a placement year or know any of the details about one? The course im looking to do has the option and im very interested.

Placements:

Basically you'll organise much of it yourself. The careers office may have some openings or maybe a lecturer is taking a year out for research and wants an assistant but generally you'll find the placement yourself.

You submit the necessary documents to the department and they will do a class on the whole process. The placement will count as a module in your 3rd year so alongside whatever work you're doing for the placement you have a few things to achieve a grade for it as well. Towards the end you will have to do a presentation about what you were doing for the people in the year below- you'll know what this is like because you'll have to watch the presentations of those in the year above. In addition you will have to pay about £400ish as admin fees for basically keeping you on the system.

When they say placement option, other than in the business school, it isn't really directed by the uni and more left up to you to do what you like.

Also don't feel that you have to do a placement to get a job but it is useful to have that years experience in a role (for instance a lot of "graduate jobs" ask for a years exp, so having done the placement you'll come out of the degree with a edge). But again not all placements are paid well and it might just be better to give it a miss- I think people don't always register that a placement is still the same amount of time as a years work after you graduate :P.
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by ZakV
Placements:

Basically you'll organise much of it yourself. The careers office may have some openings or maybe a lecturer is taking a year out for research and wants an assistant but generally you'll find the placement yourself.

You submit the necessary documents to the department and they will do a class on the whole process. The placement will count as a module in your 3rd year so alongside whatever work you're doing for the placement you have a few things to achieve a grade for it as well. Towards the end you will have to do a presentation about what you were doing for the people in the year below- you'll know what this is like because you'll have to watch the presentations of those in the year above. In addition you will have to pay about £400ish as admin fees for basically keeping you on the system.

When they say placement option, other than in the business school, it isn't really directed by the uni and more left up to you to do what you like.

Also don't feel that you have to do a placement to get a job but it is useful to have that years experience in a role (for instance a lot of "graduate jobs" ask for a years exp, so having done the placement you'll come out of the degree with a edge). But again not all placements are paid well and it might just be better to give it a miss- I think people don't always register that a placement is still the same amount of time as a years work after you graduate :P.

Thanks again, do you know if there are there opportunities to go abroad?
Reply 82
Original post by incoqnito
Thanks again, do you know if there are there opportunities to go abroad?

Depends what you're looking for and what your language skills are like. The general advice regarding placements is to try to not treat it like a gap year, e.g. teaching English in Japan or building schools, and instead do something productive (in which you can actually earn decent money).

I'm not saying there aren't any opportunities but you'll be hard-pressed to find them and they may not be as useful as placements available here :smile:.
Yeah I've applied to Brighton to do Adult Nursing :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Applied for PE. Just waiting for a reply!
Hi xx I am starting Adult Nursing course in September at Eastbourne campus :smile: very happy ,yeeeee
Original post by anavertliugov
Hi xx I am starting Adult Nursing course in September at Eastbourne campus :smile: very happy ,yeeeee

Aw congrats :biggrin:
My application for Brighton has been rejected :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MiriHam
I have! For Fashion with Business studies :biggrin:

Same! Have you got an interview?! And did you have to do an e portfolio because they said you did at an open day but haven't asked for one?
Hello Again,
I have another question regarding accomodation, I am very confused about how rent and things are worked out for halls.
The halls I have chosen to stay in costs 128 per week, and I am trying to work out how much of my loan/grant I will need to spend on halls per term/semester and basically I am trying to sort out my whole budget. I worked out I will be getting around 2400 per term and I am not sure how much of this I will need to spend on rent because tbh I am not very good at maths! I hope someone is, I am not sure how many weeks are in a term or if I have even worked it out right...
Hope you can help

From Jen :cute:
Reply 89
Original post by Jennywbu
Hello Again,
I have another question regarding accomodation, I am very confused about how rent and things are worked out for halls.
The halls I have chosen to stay in costs 128 per week, and I am trying to work out how much of my loan/grant I will need to spend on halls per term/semester and basically I am trying to sort out my whole budget. I worked out I will be getting around 2400 per term and I am not sure how much of this I will need to spend on rent because tbh I am not very good at maths! I hope someone is, I am not sure how many weeks are in a term or if I have even worked it out right...
Hope you can help

From Jen :cute:

The contract lasts for 39 weeks which means in total you will be paying £4992. The rent tends to be split into three almost equal lump sums each term and not based on how many weeks there are in each term. Also you would pay your first four weeks of rent in advance as a 'holding fee' but you won't need to pay a deposit.

So you would pay £512 for the first four weeks which leaves you £4480 left to pay in three sums each term. Whilst they aren't split exactly equally, it is easier to look at it as being split directly into three equal sums which would be £1494 each term.

It is worth bearing in mind that although you have applied for that specific accommodation, you are not guaranteed that place. I didn't get my first choice but fortunately ended up with my second. This means that you may in fact be paying more if you are allocated a different accommodation. There are always some people that don't secure a place in halls as well but fingers crossed it isn't the case, although it has to happen to someone!
Reply 90
Original post by Frankie342
Same! Have you got an interview?! And did you have to do an e portfolio because they said you did at an open day but haven't asked for one?

Nah, not yet but the admissions tutor said that i should expect to hear from them soon :tongue: Yeah i had to do one, they'll decide whether to take you for an interview based on your portfolio. Oh i see, have you done an online portfolio?:smile:
oooo that's exciting! See that's what's worrying me- I've booked/been invited to an interview but haven't had to send an online one at all? So i'm worry that i've got it wrong! Are you on Foundation at the moment?
Reply 92
Original post by Frankie342
oooo that's exciting! See that's what's worrying me- I've booked/been invited to an interview but haven't had to send an online one at all? So i'm worry that i've got it wrong! Are you on Foundation at the moment?

Ah you haven't got anything to worry about, some of my friends have an interview without having to do the online thing, whereas another friend of mine has to do the online portfolio as well. I think the reason i had to do it is cause I applied last year but my work wasn't as strong to submit. When is your interview? Good luck for it! :biggrin: Yeah I'm on foundation at the moment, we're doing prep stuff our final main project :tongue:
Reply 93
Was wondering when we can apply for accommodation?? I've just made Brighton my firm choice for International Business.
Reply 94
Original post by tiaait
Was wondering when we can apply for accommodation?? I've just made Brighton my firm choice for International Business.

You'll be sent an email regarding applying for accommodation nearer the time - it won't be that long off if I recall correctly.

Don't forget there is also the option of student housing which many first years opt for instead of halls and not everybody that applies for accommodation is guaranteed it which means a rush to look for a house in August, the majority will get accommodation and those that don't, there will be other people looking for houses too so you can search together.
Reply 95
I've applied for Fashion with Business Studies but I have an interview for Fashion Marketing as they are starting it as a new course in 2014. I don't have to take a portfolio or anything!

Was also wondering if anyone else has been offered the chance to study Fashion Marketing? Anyone know anymore information on it as I'm preping for my interview but I can't really make it specific to Brighton without knowing much about the course
Hi I'm going to be trending the applicant open day this Wednesday (19th) and will be travelling by train from London. I was wondering how far the Falmer campus is from the Falmer railway station and if it is difficult to find? Or will the university have a minibus of some kind that will pick up attendees of the open day an drop them off at the university? Would really appreciate a reply as I will be travelling by myself. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by 1education
Hi I'm going to be trending the applicant open day this Wednesday (19th) and will be travelling by train from London. I was wondering how far the Falmer campus is from the Falmer railway station and if it is difficult to find? Or will the university have a minibus of some kind that will pick up attendees of the open day an drop them off at the university? Would really appreciate a reply as I will be travelling by myself. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! From Falmer Railway, the uni is literally a 5min walk, you'll see the main building, it's hard to miss :smile:

I'm not too sure about a minibus service though. hope you like it!
Reply 98
As prospective students to the University of Brighton, I imagine you will be considering the cost of travel etc ...

Please sign this petition to get the unizone rail discount (that's nearly 50% off for those who are living in brighton areas) extended to the Eastbourne and Hastings Campus too!!

It would be very helpful and really appreciated by existing students like myself and hopefully will make a difference to any of the future students!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/southern-rail-extend-the-unizone-ticket-to-eastbourne-hastings?share_id=IbaPGexGGW&utm_campaign=share_button_mobile&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition
Original post by --Lauren
Hey! From Falmer Railway, the uni is literally a 5min walk, you'll see the main building, it's hard to miss :smile:

I'm not too sure about a minibus service though. hope you like it!

Ok thanks very much for this, it was much needed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending