The Student Room Group

Madeleine McCann - police close in on suspects - thread for apologies

As police move in on suspects in Portugal, the time draws near....

.... for one of the largest apologies in blogging and forum post history.

Who am I talking about?

* All the people who have banged on endlessly about the McCanns being guilty.

* Cast aspersions on their characters, suggested cover-ups, told lie after lie about their conduct and motives.

You may now prepare to post your apologies here! :cool:

Or perhaps you think the Metropolitan Police leading this investigation are all nuts? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I removed a link to a Daily Mail story which contained suggestions that the police are focusing on a possible gypsy involvement; replacing with this link to the story in the Guardian.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/31/madeleine-mccann-met-plea-portuguese-police-trio
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fullofsurprises
As police move in on suspects in Portugal, the time draws near....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550836/Maddie-McCann-detectives-probe-Portuguese-gypsy-site-15-minutes-hotel-three-year-old-snatched-2007.html

.... for one of the largest apologies in blogging and forum post history.

Who am I talking about?

* All the people who have banged on endlessly about the McCanns being guilty.

* Cast aspersions on their characters, suggested cover-ups, told lie after lie about their conduct and motives.

You may now prepare to post your apologies here! :cool:

Or perhaps you think the Metropolitan Police leading this investigation are all nuts? :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? This by no means signifies anyone's guilt or the McCann's innocence. This is just another lead the police are following up; it may lead to the real perpetrators, it may not but you're jumping the gun massively

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Are these people anymore suspects than madelines parents?
Original post by Wade-
Are you kidding? This by no means signifies anyone's guilt or the McCann's innocence. This is just another lead the police are following up; it may lead to the real perpetrators, it may not but you're jumping the gun massively

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is that the direction of the police investigation shows that (a) they don't believe for a moment that the McCanns were involved and (b) they have good evidence to demand interviews with suspects and investigations into sites in Portugal. The conclusions are obvious.
Original post by MJ1012
Are these people anymore suspects than madelines parents?

Please direct us to the news story showing that the Met Police are questioning the McCanns over their involvement?
The police have no ****ing clue regarding who took her or what happened to her, they really don't

Madeleine is probably dead, lets be honest. And whoever took her is probably on the other side of the world living in peace.
This story gets so much media attention. Not sure why its more important than the other hundreds of kids that go missing every year?
Reply 7
The point is that the direction of the police investigation shows that (a) they don't believe for a moment that the McCanns were involved and (b) they have good evidence to demand interviews with suspects and investigations into sites in Portugal. The conclusions are obvious.

Plenty of people have duped the police and got away with crimes either for a long time or even forever. I'm in no way saying they are involved (although I think criminal charges should be brought against them) but I'm also not going to rule it out, the police aren't by any means saying they 'don't believe for a moment the McCanns were involved' they just have no evidence to suggest they were so it's a pointless line of investigation.

That depends on what you deem 'good evidence' - what they mention in that article: a phone recording of three people in the area that they believe are the men they want to speak to and one of them being an ex-employee is incredibly circumstantial and wouldn't last 5 seconds in a court room

Posted from TSR Mobile
Madeleine McCann + child stealing gypsies = Daily Mail's wet dream

I wouldn't believe a thing until it's gone through the courts.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Madeleine McCann + child stealing gypsies = Daily Mail's wet dream

I wouldn't believe a thing until it's gone through the courts.

Yes, but what if it's also actually true? :eek:

Either way, I think an awful lot of bloggers and posters are soon to be eating pretty large slices of humble pie.
I've never thought her parents were guilty, I have always maintained that they were grossly negligent.
When the police find either her body or her alive amongst the gypos I'll feel sorry, but there's no evidence anyone other than her parents did this.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I've never thought her parents were guilty, I have always maintained that they were grossly negligent.

Not saying this is true of you, but I expect this will be the standard line of the McCann-bashers - "we never thought they were murderers, just bad parents"! :lol:
Why are you so emotionally invested in this case?
Not saying this is true of you, but I expect this will be the standard line of the McCann-bashers - "we never thought they were murderers, just bad parents"! :lol:

You're acting as if it's been proven that they're not guilty - it hasn't and probably never will be.
Original post by Algorithm69
Why are you so emotionally invested in this case?

I'm not sure that it's 'emotional', at least, not if that's a put-down! :biggrin: I do get irritated when truth is sacrificed to hype and propaganda and when mistakes first promulgated by the tabloids become accepted as mainstream views. I would say that the dominant popular opinion is that the McCanns were somehow involved. This is outrageous, given the actual facts of the case. I care about truthfulness. There have been few cases attracting so much distortion, especially on the web.

I'm also interested in crime cases. :cool:
Reply 16
I don't think anyone needs to apologise for casting aspersions on their characters. Ignoring all conspiracy and sticking only to fact, their conduct was shameful.
Yes, but what if it's also actually true? :eek:

Either way, I think an awful lot of bloggers and posters are soon to be eating pretty large slices of humble pie.

I think the chances of that are very remote. There have been stories about gypsies stealing children circulating for the last 500 years, and almost all of them have proved false. Hence, I'll believe it when I see it.
Original post by manchesterunited15
You're acting as if it's been proven that they're not guilty - it hasn't and probably never will be.

It definitely can be, if and (it looks increasingly likely, thanks to the UK police at last having taken the case) will be when the guilty parties are identified. You can prepare your apology in the meantime. :colone:
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think the chances of that are very remote. There have been stories about gypsies stealing children circulating for the last 500 years, and almost all of them have proved false. Hence, I'll believe it when I see it.

Time will tell, but I agree with you on the background.

Latest

Trending

Trending