The Student Room Group

Physics GCSE

I'm failing physics and so are most of the others in my class. Physics is my least favourite area of science so I find it hard revising for it because I just can't be bothered. I know that's not a good excuse but how can I motivate myself to revise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nadine_08
I'm failing physics and so are most of the others in my class. Physics is my least favourite area of science so I find it hard revising for it because I just can't be bothered. I know that's not a good excuse but how can I motivate myself to revise?

Hey!
I am just like you. Physics is my least fav out of all the sciences but I do Triple Science so i have to learn it anyway.Try to figure out your learning style. Visual , Kinaesthetic or Auditory and use that method. if you find mind maps useful then use them. I just bite my teeth and manage myself to learn the facts. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by missmay
Hey!
I am just like you. Physics is my least fav out of all the sciences but I do Triple Science so i have to learn it anyway.Try to figure out your learning style. Visual , Kinaesthetic or Auditory and use that method. if you find mind maps useful then use them. I just bite my teeth and manage myself to learn the facts. Good luck!
Yeah I think the mind maps are a good idea for me because I am mostly a visual learner. I'm definitely not an auditory learner in physics, I can't remember a word my teacher says. And her accent doesn't help either. I do triple science too and I'm doing worst in physics. Most of the people in my class are on a grade D-including me .
You should look into the CGP Physics GCSE Books. I have one of them. It's very concise and funny revision guide, my school gave them to Triple Students for free :biggrin:
Reply 4
Are you good at maths? Physics gcse has a good chunk of maths involved so you won't do too bad if you got the maths right.

If you can afford it, see if you can get some physics books. A black and purple cgp book about 10-15&0£ has eveything you need in there to know. (I have it myself!).

Although google 'bbc bitesize' which has a short revision area for most subjects and a small test on each topic.
Reply 5
Original post by Bobjim12
Are you good at maths? Physics gcse has a good chunk of maths involved so you won't do too bad if you got the maths right.

If you can afford it, see if you can get some physics books. A black and purple cgp book about 10-15&0£ has eveything you need in there to know. (I have it myself!).

Although google 'bbc bitesize' which has a short revision area for most subjects and a small test on each topic.
I'm alright at maths and yeah physics has a hell of a lot of formulas to remember. I have the AQA student book and it's really good if that's your school's exam board because it has everything you need to know for the exam. I've barely even used it though :ashamed2:.
Reply 6
Original post by Alan-K
You should look into the CGP Physics GCSE Books. I have one of them. It's very concise and funny revision guide, my school gave them to Triple Students for free :biggrin:
Your school's awesome. I have to buy my own revision books. I bought the book particular to my school's exam board and it's really good but I've hardly used it.
Reply 7
I'm alright at maths and yeah physics has a hell of a lot of formulas to remember. I have the AQA student book and it's really good if that's your school's exam board because it has everything you need to know for the exam. I've barely even used it though :ashamed2:.

you won't have to remember the formulas, they should be given to you via a formula sheet in the exam (although confirm this with your teacher if your exams are different).

the only thing you''l have to remember which is vital is rearranging the formulas and the units (n, kg, w, v, a etc.).

where is this aqa student book? a link possibly? thanks..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bobjim12
you won't have to remember the formulas, they should be given to you via a formula sheet in the exam (although confirm this with your teacher if your exams are different).

the only thing you''l have to remember which is vital is rearranging the formulas and the units (n, kg, w, v, a etc.).

where is this aqa student book? a link possibly? thanks..

Oh yeah I think we are provided the formula sheet. Here's the link to the book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Physics-Science-Students-Book/dp/140850832X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391445555&sr=8-3&keywords=aqa+gcse+physics+student+book
Reply 9
The best thing u can do it's to do some past exam papers .. they are so useful .. they will help u to understand how to answer the questions in the exam.

Good Luck
:smile:

Reply 10
Yeah I think the mind maps are a good idea for me because I am mostly a visual learner. I'm definitely not an auditory learner in physics, I can't remember a word my teacher says. And her accent doesn't help either. I do triple science too and I'm doing worst in physics. Most of the people in my class are on a grade D-including me .

U won't have 2 learn the equations off by heart cuz u will b given an equation sheet with all the equations that u wud need 2 know for the exam.
the CGP books (not the thin revision guides) but there are these fat books with packed info for all three sciences, u have to buy 3 separately for each science and at the moment I am finding them really useful. So u might want to give it a try. Good luck!
Your school's awesome. I have to buy my own revision books. I bought the book particular to my school's exam board and it's really good but I've hardly used it.

Change that. Buy all the work-books you can find on the syllabus you're doing and do every question in them.
I was exactly like you with physics last year in year 11. I absolutely loathed the subject and my teacher but was determined to come out with a B despite being predicted a C.

Like others have said, try the CGP books and there's always My-GCSEscience on Youtube too :smile:
Reply 13
If the problem is that you lack motivation I would suggest looking at some interesting videos that show you where physics is used, such as YouTube channels like Sixty Symbols, Minute Physics, Sci Show, etc.
Reply 14

I'm on AQA for science and the questions are usually similar for every year. My best tip is to do past papers and learn how to work out the equations from the physics data sheets. YouTube is very useful so just search up any topic you struggle with in particular. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by smozsolution
I was exactly like you with physics last year in year 11. I absolutely loathed the subject and my teacher but was determined to come out with a B despite being predicted a C.

Like others have said, try the CGP books and there's always My-GCSEscience on Youtube too :smile:

My predicted grade is a C too but I want a B and you've motivated me now so thank you:smile:. Yeah I heard My-GCSEscience videos are really good so I'm gonna use them more often.
Reply 16
Original post by alow
If the problem is that you lack motivation I would suggest looking at some interesting videos that show you where physics is used, such as YouTube channels like Sixty Symbols, Minute Physics, Sci Show, etc.

Thanks, I'll try that:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by missmay
U won't have 2 learn the equations off by heart cuz u will b given an equation sheet with all the equations that u wud need 2 know for the exam.
the CGP books (not the thin revision guides) but there are these fat books with packed info for all three sciences, u have to buy 3 separately for each science and at the moment I am finding them really useful. So u might want to give it a try. Good luck!

Thank you:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by yoomi
The best thing u can do it's to do some past exam papers .. they are so useful .. they will help u to understand how to answer the questions in the exam.

Good Luck
:smile:

Yeah I also think they're really useful and I'm going to start using them more. Thank you:smile:
Reply 19
I am doing my science coursework at the minute and I'm really struggling with the research task. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply

Latest