The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Julia,

I'll ask about the language of the simulator, I'm pretty sure that there is the possibility to switch to English.. I'll tell u asap..
Concerning the questions you asked:

- I know that to be admitted as non-EU it is far less competitive compared to the EU list. Not many students come from non-EU countries and generally they are not fantastic performers, I must admit.
- Many are from US, some also from Canada. I know two Canadian guys, and at least six US people. But along the four classes I bet there are many more, I know mostly Italians, sadly..! Don't worry about the age, we have an Australian lady who's married and has family, a guy from US who's reaching his 30s and one of the Canadians too.. In general, I cannot say that we are ALL around 20 :smile: and well.. being at the university makes us all the same, no matter the age, we study, work and go out together

Feel free to ask more

Marco
Hello!

I'm a Canadian student & hopefully I'll be applying next year. I was just wondering if the medical curriculum is on par with those in Canada and the US because I want to come back and practice in North America. Is there any USMILE preparation?
How would you rate the teaching style, organization, clinical & teachers from 1-10 with ten being the highest? Is the people there friendly? Is there any discrimination? Do they offer Italian language course? How long would it take to learn Italian?

Sorry for so much question >.<
Reply 22
Hi Marco,

Thanks for replying. Which forum are you talking about? I don't want to sound conceited, but I'm sure I'd be a "fantastic performer" considering my background. I'm actually surprised by how many Italian students want to study medicine in English (that's a good thing!). And I'd be happy to be surrounded by many Italians, I've been to Italy several times and I'm in love with the history, culture, people, food, fashion, language (really beautiful language!)...everything really. I'm just at a point right now where I'm confused as to where I want to go to pursue medicine. Moving to Italy for the next 6 years and maybe forever is very daunting. I guess I'd be taking a huge risk if I ever wanted to come back to the US and get a residency here. No offense, but I'm a little apprehensive about Italy and what my life would be like over there if I decided to stay. I've heard from expats about the difficulty gaining citizenship, getting accepted to a residency and finding a job as a physician (Italy has the highest doctor-patient ratio in the world) and really low salary(?), climate would not be the best fit for me considering the hot/humid summers and extremely cold winters (I prefer hot and dry). What is the European educational system like, specifically what are the oral exams like? It's a scary thought, maybe it's not so bad? LOL. Oh and why are there nothing but exams for 3 whole months, instead of spread out throughout the year? We get ~a month extra for vacation per year, so that's a little disappointing too. If I did decide to come back to the US, the extra 2 years I'd spend there because of the 6-year program would seem like a waste of time, but if I decided to stay and practice as a general physician there then it wouldn't be. There's a lot to think about, I think if you only think about the positives, then you'll be in for a surprise and disappointment.

Julia
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Does anyone know how many people generally apply for the non-eu test? thanks
ok I just realized that the messages were in the second page.. I'm sorry guys.. I'll leave this post anyway

Hi Julia,

http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=177

if you follow this link the simulator should be in English! Anyway I'm sure that it exists in english, somewhere :P You should try to change the language once inside the simulator, maybe.

To be admitted as a non-EU it is not competitive at all, at least not as competitive as for the EU list. I say this because every year they have to do a second call for the non-EU list, since they don't fill the 32 places, and many of the competitors are not prepared and perform below the minimum needed to be admitted.

I know at least two students from Canada, but I'm sure that there are others :smile:

Many of the guys in the EU list are italian and thus are around 19-23

Instead the non-EU are older, we have guys even over 30

Any time

Marco
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Hi. I know this is a stupid question, but what is the address for the test location in Milan? On the "banda di concorso" it gives some funny address which google maps can't find. Thanks
Original post by bdavid
Hi. I know this is a stupid question, but what is the address for the test location in Milan? On the "banda di concorso" it gives some funny address which google maps can't find. Thanks

1) In Italy in MILANO: Fiera Milano City Gate 5 “Teodorico”, Viale Scarampo /Via Teodorico, Milano.
Candidates must present for registration at 14.30. The test will begin when identification and registration has been done

https://goo.gl/maps/Fw0Im

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AishaaAbdii
Hello!

I'm a Canadian student & hopefully I'll be applying next year. I was just wondering if the medical curriculum is on par with those in Canada and the US because I want to come back and practice in North America. Is there any USMILE preparation?
How would you rate the teaching style, organization, clinical & teachers from 1-10 with ten being the highest? Is the people there friendly? Is there any discrimination? Do they offer Italian language course? How long would it take to learn Italian?

Sorry for so much question >.<

Probably 99% of the US and Canadian students we have do plan to come back home to practice, and the courses are all in fact based on USMLE contents. Indeed, every six months we have the chance to test ourselves on the topics we have just studied on a pc-based exam containing questions coming directly from the NBME, from the USMLE pool.
Well rating my university 10 would be too easy, and not true actually. We have of course some minor problems, but trust me if I say that teachers and organization deserve a 9 :wink:
Italians are the most friendly people you can meet, and also the guys who come from abroad are nice, they would do such a course if they weren't open minded and friendly!
No discrimination, and yeah my friends attended an Italian language course, and if you want you can learn fast, as any other language!

Any time
Original post by missoni
Hi Marco,

Thanks for replying. Which forum are you talking about? I don't want to sound conceited, but I'm sure I'd be a "fantastic performer" considering my background. I'm actually surprised by how many Italian students want to study medicine in English (that's a good thing!). And I'd be happy to be surrounded by many Italians, I've been to Italy several times and I'm in love with the history, culture, people, food, fashion, language (really beautiful language!)...everything really. I'm just at a point right now where I'm confused as to where I want to go to pursue medicine. Moving to Italy for the next 6 years and maybe forever is very daunting. I guess I'd be taking a huge risk if I ever wanted to come back to the US and get a residency here. No offense, but I'm a little apprehensive about Italy and what my life would be like over there if I decided to stay. I've heard from expats about the difficulty gaining citizenship, getting accepted to a residency and finding a job as a physician (Italy has the highest doctor-patient ratio in the world) and really low salary(?), climate would not be the best fit for me considering the hot/humid summers and extremely cold winters (I prefer hot and dry). What is the European educational system like, specifically what are the oral exams like? It's a scary thought, maybe it's not so bad? LOL. Oh and why are there nothing but exams for 3 whole months, instead of spread out throughout the year? We get ~a month extra for vacation per year, so that's a little disappointing too. If I did decide to come back to the US, the extra 2 years I'd spend there because of the 6-year program would seem like a waste of time, but if I decided to stay and practice as a general physician there then it wouldn't be. There's a lot to think about, I think if you only think about the positives, then you'll be in for a surprise and disappointment.

Julia

Hum :smile: well answering to you post is not an easy task.. it comes to personal, subjective evaluations, and I cannot really tell what's like from the point of view of a foreign student.
From my point of view, Italian, the IMDP is the best english course of medicine we have in Italy, San Raffaele university is the best university we have (this is said by newspapers and rankings) and the San Raffaele Hospital is the best in Italy (again, official rankings).
So, if you come, you'll get the best Italy can offer!
According to me, salaries are high, for doctors. Doctors are one of the richest category of workers in Italy. Many doctors will retire in the next years and we'll have a great need of new doctors (this is due to the fact that, many years ago, they decided to put an entrance test to lower the number of people becoming doctors)
Don't know about the citizenship.. I must admit that Italian bureaucracy is pretty slow, though.
in our course the system is different from the other Italian universities: from the third year on, the "semester" system is abandoned and we start having exams after each course, and not 3 months with only exams.
But the semester system is not bad, trust me, thousands of people got their degree in medicine like that and became great physicians.. it's a matter of study, only that, and this you probably already know :wink:
weather in Italy is great..! Not in Milan, but for sure as soon as you go a bit down along the coast and on the mountains, it's great, really!

Hope I was of some help!
Reply 29
Original post by marcomontagna
1) In Italy in MILANO: Fiera Milano City Gate 5 “Teodorico”, Viale Scarampo /Via Teodorico, Milano.
Candidates must present for registration at 14.30. The test will begin when identification and registration has been done

https://goo.gl/maps/Fw0Im

hope this helps :smile:

That's great! Grazie
Original post by bdavid
Does anyone know how many people generally apply for the non-eu test? thanks

It seems that they were 60/70
Reply 31
Hi Marco,

What sort of a score on the simulator would be considered good enough to get in (for EU and non-EU)? thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Is the test the IMAT? When is the deadline ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
Is the test the IMAT? When is the deadline ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no this is not the IMAT, this is the international MD program at San Raffaele university which is a private school, differently from universities where you enter through the IMAT which are public

http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=161 find here the info u need
Original post by bdavid
Hi Marco,

What sort of a score on the simulator would be considered good enough to get in (for EU and non-EU)? thanks

Hi David,

I really do not know, ask to my secretariat, [email protected] , nicole will be glad to answer
Reply 35
Thanks but what's on the test?

Also do they accept alevel students who have done their alevel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Thanks Marco.I sent her a an email a few days ago and she was very helpful.
Reply 37
Guys , where can I get all the info in the dates and the application process ?

Need help!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
Guys , where can I get all the info in the dates and the application process ?

Need help!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

medicine.unisr.it

here you can find all about the university and about the admissions

good luck!
Reply 39
Am I right in saying the tuition. Fees are 19,000 euro here for eu international applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest