The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ooh, see I don't want to do an actual exchange per se...

Is everyone telling you how good your French is?:tongue:

This one is organised by the school, we're in Reims at the moment.

Haha! They are, yes, my host family said I hadvery good French and the girls in my class hâve been telling the French people that "He's really good" :lol: But my name is tough for thème to say!

(French keyboard is so confusing!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aasvogel
This one is organised by the school, we're in Reims at the moment.

Haha! They are, yes, my host family said I hadvery good French and the girls in my class hâve been telling the French people that "Eoin is réal l'y good" :lol: But my name is tough for thème to say!

(French keyboard is so confusing!)

Yeah ours was school too but I just didn't want to do it :colondollar:

:rofl: it's an azerty, keyboard... We could talk in French instead if you wanted to make it easier for you, but a different thread.
Original post by MangoFreak
At least in my textbook (OCR), the C1 exercises may require calculators, even if you wouldn't actually get questions requiring them (although with quadratics, leaving answers in fractional form is fine).

Might come to Pembroke...

Been told that a few years ago a very good IB Natural Scientist from my school got rejected, without even an interview. People from my school have only ever got into Pembroke for English. But times are changing, I think I can match their standard offer and write a killer PS. My teachers have also told me that their reference of me will be 'glowing' so, fingers crossed.
Original post by Bude8
Been told that a few years ago a very good IB Natural Scientist from my school got rejected, without even an interview. People from my school have only ever got into Pembroke for English. But times are changing, I think I can match their standard offer and write a killer PS. My teachers have also told me that their reference of me will be 'glowing' so, fingers crossed.

Your PS needs to be a work of art.
Original post by Cantabcyte
Your PS needs to be a work of art.

I know that and I think I can pull it off. Well, I need to see what the rough standards are first anyway.
Original post by Bude8

I have no idea how to write a PS, although once I find out I have no doubts I'll be able to nail it :tongue:
I have no idea how to write a PS, although once I find out I have no doubts I'll be able to nail it :tongue:

"4000 characters, or 47 lines, whichever comes first. Times New Roman size 12." We had a brief talk about it today :tongue:
Original post by Bude8
"4000 characters, or 47 lines, whichever comes first. Times New Roman size 12." We had a brief talk about it today :tongue:

When do you recommend we should write PS?

As I understand it, your school/college takes you through the process during the back end of Year 12 and start of Year 13. (Although 'enrichment'-y stuff should be going on throughout the year, the stuff you actually put on your PS.)

I have little experience of writing PSs... I've got a very weak, empty-looking CV and I've only had to write 150 word PSs for the Uni of London taster courses. :/ I had to be very, very succinct.
Original post by Bude8

Thank you for your wisdom :ahee:

Saying that I am terrible with character/word limits; one of my Creative Writing coursework pieces is about 3000 words, when we're supposed to submit 3000 words max in total :mmm:
Original post by NikolaT
Although 'enrichment'-y stuff should be going on throughout the year, the stuff you actually put on your PS.

lolok

I suppose I'm lucky that my Physics teacher loves trips :mmm:
lolok

I suppose I'm lucky that my Physics teacher loves trips :mmm:

Same, we went on a trip to NASA in Florida last year. It was amazing.
Same, we went on a trip to NASA in Florida last year. It was amazing.

zomg someone on here was talking about a trip to CERN earlier on in the year.

Why does Physics have to be the most interesting/cool trips A-level I'm not doing. :frown:
Original post by NikolaT

Why does Physics have to be the most interesting/cool trips A-level I'm not doing. :frown:

We have a trip to CERN too but we I am kind of strapped for cash atm :P. The NASA trip took years of financial planning for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NikolaT

CERN was fun :h:
Thank you for your wisdom :ahee:

Saying that I am terrible with character/word limits; one of my Creative Writing coursework pieces is about 3000 words, when we're supposed to submit 3000 words max in total :mmm:

apparently 'not one character over 4000 or it won't save'

I'm thinking of starting now. Depends on how keen/motivated you are. Try to 'strike while the iron is hot' - write down anything good you have.
Original post by Bude8
apparently 'not one character over 4000 or it won't save'

Yeah I've known that for a couple of years actually :tongue:
:bl::yum:
Anyone doing Eng Lit AS?
CERN was fun :h:

my school had a trip to CERN last year, applied to go but didn't get chosen to go (there were only ten places) :frown: really wish i could've gone!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sam Jackson
my school had a trip to CERN last year, applied to go but didn't get chosen to go (there were only ten places) :frown: really wish i could've gone!

I'm going to CERN this year, sooo excited!!

Latest