TSR MakeADifference AMA Thread Watch

Bridget Jones
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
We feel we have started off on the wrong foot with the TSR community. We apologise for all of our previous mistakes and we hope we can start afresh.

We feel the best way to correct this is a thread: Ask Us Anything! We will try to answer as soon as possible to the best of our abilities!

Any member of the team (see below) or I will be happy to answer! Although, some of them may not know enough (ie they have not been an active part of the society yet) to answer.

(Original post by chocolatesauce)
x
(Original post by cupcakes87)
x
(Original post by de_monies)
x
(Original post by flou_fboco2)
x
(Original post by Hellcat12)
x
(Original post by kers123)
x
(Original post by krollo)
x
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
x
(Original post by Mazzini)
x
(Original post by p.thayaparan)
x
(Original post by Padwas)
x
(Original post by StarvingAutist)
x
(Original post by Saada)
x
(Original post by Shooks)
x
(Original post by TheBBQ)
x
(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
x
(Original post by xmertic)
x
(Original post by luckylaurax)
x
(Original post by IqraHaq)
x
(Original post by Foo.mp3)
x
(Original post by RVNmax)
x
(Original post by imjustnotnormal)
x
(Original post by kittien9)
x
(Original post by spotify95)
x
Thank you guys!
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is it you think you can achieve by jumping from one "good cause" to the next day after day? If you actually want to achieve something, you need to stick to one thing and run with it, rather than keep starting afresh. And make sure that one thing has solid planning, and potential.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem, I'll stay around and if I need to i'll ask you if I need help
StarvingAutist
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)
What is it you think you can achieve by jumping from one "good cause" to the next day after day? If you actually want to achieve something, you need to stick to one thing and run with it, rather than keep starting afresh. And make sure that one thing has solid planning, and potential.
We haven't stopped supporting any one of them. We are going to organise the petition in a few days, as some of us have mock exams to prepare for. We are not going back on our ideas.

Also, does this not have potential? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2584669
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
We are actually trying to simultaneously run campaigns for all the good causes, ie alcoholism, issues highlighted in Hollyoaks, forced marriage, vegetarianism. And yes, I agree, we do need to make sure we plan thoroughly.
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We haven't stopped supporting any one of them. We are going to organise the petition in a few days, as some of us have mock exams to prepare for. We are not going back on our ideas.

Also, does this not have potential? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2584669
I'm not saying you haven't supported them. I'm just saying when there's only a handful of active members in the group, it would be best to stick to just one cause. You're thinning yourself out, and that means it will never work.
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
No problem, I'll stay around and if I need to i'll ask you if I need help
Thank you! Havent seen you around yet, so wanted to talk! What are your reasons for joining TSR MAD and what do you hope to contribute?
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)
I'm not saying you haven't supported them. I'm just saying when there's only a handful of active members in the group, it would be best to stick to just one cause. You're thinning yourself out, and that means it will never work.
I understand.
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nivvy21)
We are actually trying to simultaneously run campaigns for all the good causes, ie alcoholism, issues highlighted in Hollyoaks, forced marriage, vegetarianism. And yes, I agree, we do need to make sure we plan thoroughly.
As I explained to the other guy, when there's only a few of you, you can't solve every problem. You need to find one that you all agree on, and stick to that. You can do more that way. You won't be able to achieve anything if you are trying to do a million things at once.

Just a bit of advice.
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
(Original post by CJG21)
As I explained to the other guy, when there's only a few of you, you can't solve every problem. You need to find one that you all agree on, and stick to that. You can do more that way. You won't be able to achieve anything if you are trying to do a million things at once.

Just a bit of advice.
Again, as SA said, we understand.

What would you say is the most pressing issue today?

x
Discuss this?
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, those campaigns aren't really very good, imo.

You're abstinence campaign seems a little farfetched, there's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation.
Issues highlighted in Hollyoaks is a bit of a joke tbf.
Forced marriage is a religious issue, it's very difficult to do anything about.
Vegetarianism is not really something that is good. There's nothing wrong with it, but human beings are omnivores, and having meat is not a bad thing.

Just my two cents.
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)

You're abstinence campaign seems a little farfetched, there's nothing wrong with drinking in moderation.
Vegetarianism is not really something that is good. There's nothing wrong with it, but human beings are omnivores, and having meat is not a bad thing.

Just my two cents.
Abstinence - Our aim was not to prevent people from drinking, but to raise awareness for alcoholism
Hollyoaks - I wont disagree there, but I found the issues raised in Hollyoaks interesting and was unsure on how to go about it
Forced Marriage - We are simply offering any advice and guidance, and lending an ear and also, supplying resources, charities, numbers and organisation; we are not trying to prevent it
Vegetarianism - I agree, but SA has presented a worthy case imo
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)

Just my two cents.
No, I agree, there is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. It's about raising awareness for alcoholism - a sponsored abstinence.
Vegetarianism - it is debatable that we are omnivores, being descended from chimps. But aside from that, which is not important, the food you eat does have an environmental effects, the main one in meat production being methane. Not to mention animal cruelty, which can be absolutely appalling.
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)

Just my two cents.
Also, not attacking you here, but being a Philosophy and Ethics A2 student, I have to point out the is/ought fallacy: because we are, doesn't mean we have to.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you! Havent seen you around yet, so wanted to talk! What are your reasons for joining TSR MAD and what do you hope to contribute?
I was given an invite to join so thought I'd have a look in

I don't know yet what I hope to contribute, though I do hope to contribute something great!
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
I was given an invite to join so thought I'd have a look in

I don't know yet what I hope to contribute, though I do hope to contribute something great!
Oh, really? Who invited you? And hopefully, yes, we all will contribute to something great!
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, really? Who invited you? And hopefully, yes, we all will contribute to something great!
I believe it was Kers123

Thank you again for inviting me! (you don't mind me saying this do you? )
Bridget Jones
Rep:
?
I believe it was Kers123

Thank you again for inviting me! (you don't mind me saying this do you? )
Oh, she told me she would be doing that! And of course not, I don't bite!
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Speaking of not biting - neither do I! Come with the questions! :teeth:
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, not attacking you here, but being a Philosophy and Ethics A2 student, I have to point out the is/ought fallacy: because we are, doesn't mean we have to.
I'm not saying we have to. People have a choice in the matter, and there's nothing wrong with eating meat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads