The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Just got back from York. Was rather impressed by the year abroad: you can apply for ones at universities that include: UBC, University of Pennsylvania and a range of University of California ones (including Berkeley and Los Angles). Everything else was pretty much as expected, I thought the library was quite nice though, and there seemed to be a lot of societies to get involved in.

As my insurance, I don't feel that bad about possibly ending up there now. :3
Reply 2981
Original post by Pro Crastination
Just got back from York. Was rather impressed by the year abroad: you can apply for ones at universities that include: UBC, University of Pennsylvania and a range of University of California ones (including Berkeley and Los Angles). Everything else was pretty much as expected, I thought the library was quite nice though, and there seemed to be a lot of societies to get involved in.

As my insurance, I don't feel that bad about possibly ending up there now. :3

Did they mention anything about fees/funding for a year abroad in california particuarly? Its the same at leeds which is my insurance but says nothing on their website...
Original post by abcd1711
Did they mention anything about fees/funding for a year abroad in california particuarly? Its the same at leeds which is my insurance but says nothing on their website...

Yep. They said you get reduced tuition fees for that year, but you pay for your own transport so it evens out.

However, you have to truly keep on top of your studies as your second year (abroad) counts towards your final degree classification.

My concern was the disparity between what's expected of your average York student (no offence) and what's expected of your average UC Berkeley student.

I'm going to email to find out more, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2983
Original post by Pro Crastination
Yep. They said you get reduced tuition fees for that year, but you pay for your own transport so it evens out.

However, you have to truly keep on top of your studies as your second year (abroad) counts towards your final degree classification.

My concern was the disparity between what's expected of your average York student (no offence) and what's expected of your average UC Berkeley student.

I'm going to email to find out more, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So still likely to be an expensive extra year... At leeds it says the year abroad is a pass/fail but doesnt contributed to final degre class so hopefully its not as bad...
Anyone yet to hear back from the statistics department at UCL?
Original post by Hazard17
Anyone yet to hear back from the statistics department at UCL?

Yeah heard a while back regarding Econ+Stats.
Original post by NedStark
Yeah heard a while back regarding Econ+Stats.

Was yours the first open day of the course? Also do you have any idea roughly when the next one would be held? :smile:
Original post by Hazard17
Was yours the first open day of the course? Also do you have any idea roughly when the next one would be held? :smile:

Yes I'm fairly sure it was although I don't know when the next one will be. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Reply 2988
Yes offer for economics from Warwick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark
Yes I'm fairly sure it was although I don't know when the next one will be. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Haha you did help by answering my first question. Thanks bro :smile:
Original post by tan11

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you send your application?
Reply 2991
October 11th i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tan11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Done! Do you mind if ask for your AS grades, Predicted Grades and Offer?
I have offers from Exeter, UEA and Swansea. Still waiting to hear from the other two
Offer from Warwick for Bsc Economics!! :smile:
Original post by tan11

Posted from TSR Mobile

High 5! Haha :P. What time did yours come? Mine was sitting in my inbox since 11:34am this morning...
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Offer from Warwick for Bsc Economics!! :smile:

I knew you would get it, well done. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by purplemind
I knew you would get it, well done. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Thanks! But I had to wait a whole 3 months after you :eviltongue:
Yh, just waiting on UCL now.
Reply 2998
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
High 5! Haha :P. What time did yours come? Mine was sitting in my inbox since 11:34am this morning...

Aha I first received a UCAS "something has changed email", only to see nothing had changed at around half 5. Checked UCAS again at half 6 and there it was lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
i applied for UCL's L100 on October 13th and i havent received anything except a request for module grades... should I be worried?? because a friend of mine has already got the openday invitation and we submitted our application at the same time roughly...:frown:

Quick Reply