The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Information on Access to HE course to gain entry to Brunel to study OT - pls!

I'm looking for an access to HE course relevant to Occupational Therapy.
Brunel would be my first choice of uni and South Bank second since I am in Middlesex and would be able to get to either by public transport.

Has anyone here done an access to HE course and gone on to study at either of these two Unis? If so, could you give me some info on the course please. Also, if you were a mature student, did you have to do English and Maths alongside it?

Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I can't provide you with information on a course relevant to Occupational Therapy but I am currently studying a 1 year access to HE course (sport studies) and my main choice is likely to be Brunel if I get an offer from them. They're entry criteria is fairly high expecting 30 distinctions and 15 at merit, at Level 3. That may not make a whole lot of sense if you're not currently studying an access course but still it is similar to AAB A-levels. Most degrees require Maths, English & Science at GCSE grade C or above. There is a Numeracy and IT module on my course and Science modules however I think if you do not have GCSE grade C in those subjects you'd need to take it as an extra through your college.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi GeorgeD91,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I contacted Brunel and was told that as long as do an access course in health and social care and get 45 credits (with 15 credits in English and 15 credits for Maths?) I should get in.

I haven't studied for 17 years so I'll have to brush up on my English (which is not my first language) and Maths before I even attempt to get accepted onto an access course.
The two colleges I have contacted have also told me that I would need to seat a test and an interview to get on to their access course. Therefore I have arranged to do a week long course (7 full days for English and 7 full days for Maths) with learn direct, which if free.
Wish me luck!
Thanks again
The Brunel criteria is very confusing. On the UCAS website it says you need 65% of units at Merit or Distinction for my course, but on the Brunel website it says you need 30 distinctions and 15 merits as mentioned above.

Good luck to anyone else trying to apply for Brunel via Access anyhow. Judging by the Open Day I went to, it's a very nice Uni :smile:
Reply 4
Probably worth contacting them to check, what course are you applying for? Good luck with your coursework/exams also!
Reply 5
Hi,I am not sure if you have solved your query however I am doing Access to nursing at West Thames college and have applied for Brunel. When I first looked into it I was advised by Brunel that the Access Course to Nursing is the correct route as I would need science (especially biology) and nursing studies.
Reply 6
Hi GeorgeD91,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I contacted Brunel and was told that as long as do an access course in health and social care and get 45 credits (with 15 credits in English and 15 credits for Maths?) I should get in.

I haven't studied for 17 years so I'll have to brush up on my English (which is not my first language) and Maths before I even attempt to get accepted onto an access course.
The two colleges I have contacted have also told me that I would need to seat a test and an interview to get on to their access course. Therefore I have arranged to do a week long course (7 full days for English and 7 full days for Maths) with learn direct, which if free.
Wish me luck!
Thanks again
Reply 7
Thanks for that.
Reply 8
Hi Ty Ty,

Thank you for your reply.

I was also advised nursing with health studies would be the right one.
Now I am looking for a good course around where I live that would give me a choice of getting into Brunel as I understand that the competition is very high and getting the merits/credits is quite hard.

Good luck with your studies.

Original post by Ty Ty
Hi,I am not sure if you have solved your query however I am doing Access to nursing at West Thames college and have applied for Brunel. When I first looked into it I was advised by Brunel that the Access Course to Nursing is the correct route as I would need science (especially biology) and nursing studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending