The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlottejt27
People that got into UCl, would you mind just telling me what experiences you've had?

Hey. I just got offered a place at UCL for the 2014 intake. I spent 2 years volunteering for The Stroke Association with a social group and went to a few meetings at a Headway group. I had a morning shadowing a paediatric therapist, which led to a voluntary role for 6 weeks over summer in an SLT playgroup. I took a module in BSL at uni and spent a year volunteering at a youth group for deaf people. This year, I started helping a young person with down's syndrome in mainstream school with their homework. This lead to being introduced to a playgroup for children with down's. I also spent a bit of time volunteering in a nursery. I also studied the diagnosis of specific language impairment in bilingual kids in my dissertation. Apart from the opportunity that arose from shadowing, none of the rest of my experiences were directly alongside slts. basically what's most important is what you draw from it. I gave up pestering therapists for shadowing because they're too busy with the students they're allocated from the courses already. think outside the box - I worked in a nursery to gain an understanding of typical development, this is afterall the benchmark as to what all communication difficulties/disorders are compared with. most all of, don't up! reading these posts I never in a million years thought I could have a chance of getting in (i'm not joking) they can tell if you really, really want it - you've just got to show them! good luck!
Congratulations to all of you getting into UCL...Well done! I can't wait to find out who will be joining me at City... Not long now! :biggrin:
Congratulations to everyone who received offers from UCL. I am like many others on this forum waiting to hear back from city as it's the only Uni that I applied to. What's funny is my daughter came home from nursery yesterday saying "mum I have a speech and language letter from my nursery" when I looked it was a consent form from city uni asking if one of their speech and language therapy students can talk to my daughter. I was like how funny is that. I will definitely give my consent.

Fingers crossed to all of us who are still waiting patiently x
Hi Danielle,
Yeah I was pretty sure it was you I heard talking to some other people but wasn't sure whether to disturb you or not. Oh I am so delighted you got an offer and it just proves your interview didn't go badly. I can only imagine what conflicting opinions and emotions you are having about deciding between Limerick and London. You've to decide by March with Limerick isn't it? Well only you can decide which is the best for you and I am sure you will do fantastically no matter where you go! Although, it would be nice to see someone from home over in London I must say!

Hi Charlotte,
My bachelors degree is in Linguistics and Sociology so would obviously have the language background with Linguistics and the research background with Sociology. I spent 2 days a week for a year shadowing an independent SLT who worked in a school for children with autism. She also was the resident SLT in my area for Down syndrome Ireland so I had contact with various different clients with Down syndrome. I organised, co-ordinated and conducted a playgroup for 3 non-verbal boys with Down syndrome for about 2 months. I also have a TEFL qualification as I thought it would benefit for L2 learners. I've theoretical courses dealing with autism and I am Lámh trained (Irish equialent of Makaton) and I have a qualification in Special Needs Assistant.
In comparison to other people on the forum I felt that I didn't have a broad enough range of experience or a decent length of time spent volunteering. I would suggest that you don't compare your experience to others, which I know is difficult, but the interviewers seem to be more interested in what you have gained from the experience more so than anything.
Chin up and think positively.
All the best,
Lauren
Reply 364
Hey everyone! congratulations on the offers! has anyone else got an offer from Newcastle? I am potentially going to have to move up there, so looking for housemates! I am still waiting to hear from Sheffield, which I assume isn't good news! Has anyone had an offer from Sheffield yet? Its all very exciting! X
Reply 365
Anyone know if there is a fb page for people with offers to UCL? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 366
Hi,

There is usually a Facebook group set up around March-April for those who have firmly accepted offers at UCL. Invites to join are sent by the administrator or tutor.

Ava
Reply 367
Ah ok! Thank you! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Hey! I have an offer from Newcastle, another girl has set up a page on FB, MSc language pathology 2014 :smile: Cant wait to meet everyone! X
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to all those with offers! I've been offered a place in QMU, has anyone else accepted a place there? I've also got an offer from Limerick, but I'm leaning towards QMU. It's a huge relief to get an offer, as last year I was rejected from all unis I applied to. So, anyone who has been unsuccessful this time round, don't give up! xx
Reply 370
Original post by kellsbells88
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to all those with offers! I've been offered a place in QMU, has anyone else accepted a place there? I've also got an offer from Limerick, but I'm leaning towards QMU. It's a huge relief to get an offer, as last year I was rejected from all unis I applied to. So, anyone who has been unsuccessful this time round, don't give up! xx

Hi Kellsbells,

Congratulations on your offers. I've been lucky enough to get several offers including QMU and Limerick but have recently turned down QMU and am currently deciding between my other choices.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for considering QMU over UL? I find choosing between my options very difficult. I'm not sure where you're from. I'm Irish, therefore, UL is the more feasible option for me. QMU's fees are slightly higher than ULs and UL includes the Dysphagia qualification whereas many of the UK unis do not. I understand QMU stance to be less science and more clinically based than UL. Also it has the option of the PgDip as opposed to the straight MSc.
Please forgive the nosiness, it's interesting how choices differ.

Congrats again and I'm sure wherever you end up will be the right choice.

Dani
Reply 371
Me too! See you in September!!
Reply 372
Original post by SJL233
Hi I have an offer from Newcastle! Another girl has set up a page on FB MSc Language Pathology 2014. Cant wait to meet everyone! x

Me too. Look forward to meeting you in sept. Mark x
Reply 373
Hey guys!

Congratulations to all those who have received offers so far! :smile: Good luck to those still waiting to hear :smile:

I received an offer from UCL last week and it still hasn't sank in! I didn't want to get carried away dreaming so hadn't started looking into the practicalities of moving to London until now! Sooo much to sort, where do we even start! Haha x
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by x-Jen-x
Hey guys!

Congratulations to all those who have received offers so far! :smile: Good luck to those still waiting to hear :smile:

I received an offer from UCL last week and it still hasn't sank in! I didn't want to get carried away dreaming so hadn't started looking into the practicalities of moving to London until now! Sooo much to sort, where do we even start! Haha x

Original post by x-Jen-x
Hey guys!

Hey Jen,
Oh I know what you mean. Where are you moving from? I'm trying to look into postcodes and figure them out and where would be suitable. I want to be close enough but London will be so expensive. I'm looking at tube maps seeing where would be feasible! So much to think about
Reply 375
Original post by cosmic.love
Hey Jen,
Oh I know what you mean. Where are you moving from? I'm trying to look into postcodes and figure them out and where would be suitable. I want to be close enough but London will be so expensive. I'm looking at tube maps seeing where would be feasible! So much to think about

I'm moving from Liverpool. What about you? :smile: x
Original post by x-Jen-x
I'm moving from Liverpool. What about you? :smile: x

I'm moving from Ireland so across the pond.. Are you familiar with places in London or as in the dark as I am?
Reply 377
I've just been offered a place at City! Has anyone else? So exciting as it is my only offer!
Reply 378
Ah congratulations!!! Me too but have already accepted at UCL. Just wanted to say though my email appeared in my junk folder so those still waiting make sure you check! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 379
I'm on the waiting list for City... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed I get a place this year!

Latest