The Student Room Group

Sudden realisation I don't really like uni (the people)

Okay so I'm a first-year at UON, and well firstly, I really hope this is just the result of an unsuccessful night-out, but I just kind of feel like, I really don't like the people here at all.

I had a pretty good first semester, settled in well, made a group of friends, but as the time has worn on I've been increasingly feeling as though I can't really connect with the people here/can't relate to them.

There's a hell of alot of posh, elitist ***** with their heads stuck so far up their arses honestly. I'm also more and more disliking the university culture, take these 'neckandnomination' videos for example, I mean, just why.

I just want to be with people, who don't think that because they got A's in their A-Level's that makes them better than 99% of the population.

I really don't know what to do
Original post by closeenemies
I just want to be with people, who don't think that because they got A's in their A-Level's that makes them better than 99% of the population.

The sad truth of academically gifted in Britain.

"I got all these A's, I demand a job in a very competitive industry & became a social activist after seeing a video on YouTube of a bad man I never heard of running around Uganda abducting kids"
Reply 2
Original post by Silver Arrows

"I got all these A's, I demand a job in a very competitive industry & became a social activist after seeing a video on YouTube of a bad man I never heard of running around Uganda abducting kids"

in many industries, there is absolutely no correlation between academic success and success in their chosen industry.
Original post by Silver Arrows

#Kony

OP: so you are quiting uni because you don't like the students there? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kidomo
#Kony

OP: so you are quiting uni because you don't like the students there? :s-smilie:

I don't want to quit but much of the culture just infuriates me
Reply 5
Original post by uannoyme
in many industries, there is absolutely no correlation between academic success and success in their chosen industry.

Such as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

any aspect of media, speaking for experience. especially in this day and age.
I don't want to quit but much of the culture just infuriates me

Good. Honestly, don't quit! Only 2 more years or 3 if you're on meng, then you will never have to see them again!
I'm also at Nottingham and I know what you mean, there are A LOT of ex-public school students here and the ones who aren't seem to act differently to fit in anyway. That's definitely *not* to say that public school students are all stuck up or anything, but it is hard to find people you get on with sometimes when you have a different background from what seems like the majority. You're still in your first year so it's not too late to find a group of like-minded mates on your course. Also, join some societies or sports teams until you find one you fit in with.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
They can't all be like that surely? Just find a group of normal friends and get into your degree, it is why you're there after all.
Reply 10
Maybe it IS a sign that you went down the wrong path.

For example if you are at a University where most people will become lawyers, accountants and doctors.

Are you more the person who wants to become an artist, designer or director? (Maybe art college is for you?)

Are you the kind of person who wants to become a chef? (Food college)

Or the kind of person who wants to become an actor? (Drama school)

There are many other opportunities besides University.

After all if you don't like the people in University they are going to be the same people if you become a lawyer (or whatever) that you will be working with for the rest of your life!!!
Reply 11
Join a sports team or society, all my closest uni friends are in the Jitsu club with me, its really social and to be honest uni life would be quite crap without it.

Or even better start your own society, I was at a Uni last semester with an alternative society called Karpe Noctun, It was basically a collection of students that didn't enjoy traditional university societies and activities and so got together and decided amongst themselves what they wanted to do, chances are you are not the only one at your uni feeling this way.
Reply 12

I had a pretty good first semester, settled in well, made a group of friends, but as the time has worn on I've been increasingly feeling as though I can't really connect with the people here/can't relate to them.

I can relate with this, exactly how I felt in first year.
Reply 13
I'm thinking about looking into transferring into the second year at the University of Brighton's Business School, anyone know if this would be possible?

Quick Reply

Latest