The Student Room Group

Security Officer Telephone Interview: Heathrow

Hello!

I've passed both online tests and telephone interview.

I've looked up for any help on preparing for the next stage, but haven't really found much.

Does anyone have any experience / or been through this stage? Was just wondering what the next assessment interview is like. I'm sure there will be another competency based interview (one on one). Does anyone else know what's involved?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Aeroship
Hello!

I've passed both online tests and telephone interview.

I've looked up for any help on preparing for the next stage, but haven't really found much.

Does anyone have any experience / or been through this stage? Was just wondering what the next assessment interview is like. I'm sure there will be another competency based interview (one on one). Does anyone else know what's involved?

Thanks

Hi

you probably been through all the stages by now, and I was hoping you can share you experience. I am about to go through the same process
Reply 2
Hi

you probably been through all the stages by now, and I was hoping you can share you experience. I am about to go through the same process

Mr poster, how did yours go ? I have my assessment day next week, can you share with us on what they test you on ? Thanks
Reply 3
How did you all get on? I have just been through their selection process and out of the 30 in my group I think only around 5 passed, I have a start date of the 27th of January.

If anyone needs any advice about my experience I will be happy to offer some assistance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
hey, congrats for your selection :smile:! How did your assessment go on ? whats sort of activities are inlcuded ? Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by dar123
hey, congrats for your selection :smile:! How did your assessment go on ? whats sort of activities are inlcuded ? Thanks.

You will be asked to attend 2 assessment days that will take place over a half day, first assessment consists of 2 written tests and a screen x test on a computer.

Day 1

The first test I did was an error checking test, you are given pages with correct customers detail and one with errors, your task is to spot what is incorrect and mark it on an answer sheet.

The second was 5-6 paragraphs of information on a terminal, in which you have 5 mins to read and remember the information, after the time is up the booklet is removed and you answer questions on what you have just read.

The third test is a screen x test on a computer, basically 2 shapes will pop up and you have to hit a button when there is a difference ( basically spot the difference).

Day 2

First is a team building exercise which is very straight froward.

Second is a competency based interview.

Third is the dreaded role play, this consists of 6 of the most extreme customers you will face, they come into a room one after another and the scenario is you're on a security check point and have to deal with them best you can, don't worry too much as you are given a brief beforehand.

Hope this helps.......if you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll answer best I can.
(edited 10 years ago)
so glad this has been posted can any1 describe how difficult it is and what characteristic they look for
so glad this has been posted can any1 describe how difficult it is and what characteristic they look for
Reply 8
Hey,

It is nice to hear that you passed the first two stages successfully ! Very well done !

I applied for the security officer role and passed the online test stages. I have a telephone interview coming up very soon, I would much appreciate your help if you could share your experience with me.

How long was the interview?

How type of questions were you asked in the telephone interview?

Did they give you a feedback straight after or you got an email sent out confirming the next stage?

Many Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by sayzhuz
Hey,

It is nice to hear that you passed the first two stages successfully ! Very well done !

I applied for the security officer role and passed the online test stages. I have a telephone interview coming up very soon, I would much appreciate your help if you could share your experience with me.

How long was the interview?

How type of questions were you asked in the telephone interview?

Did they give you a feedback straight after or you got an email sent out confirming the next stage?

Many Thanks

The telephone interview is around 15 - 20 mins and they will tell you at the end if you have passed or failed.

They will basically ask you questions like 'describe exceptional customer service' or ' can you think of a time you exceeded a customers expectations' my advice would be to think about similar experiences you have had and write them down so you have them at hand during your interview.

Don't worry too much, I got very nervous during my telephone interview and started to waffle on really fast, was sure that I had blown it and still past, just keep claim and you'll do fine...........good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for your post, but i have an enquiry. Basically I passed both on-line assessments and now they asked me to give them 5 years of reference while they check my application. After I gave them my 5 year reference do you know how long it would take for them to reply back. Also what comes after that?
Reply 11
Original post by Evil Limey
The telephone interview is around 15 - 20 mins and they will tell you at the end if you have passed or failed.

They will basically ask you questions like 'describe exceptional customer service' or ' can you think of a time you exceeded a customers expectations' my advice would be to think about similar experiences you have had and write them down so you have them at hand during your interview.

Don't worry too much, I got very nervous during my telephone interview and started to waffle on really fast, was sure that I had blown it and still past, just keep claim and you'll do fine...........good luck :smile:

Hi,

Once again thanks for your reply. I have been preparing for the same, now I believe the best way to find out more about it is just to go through the experience itself.

Thanks for the luck, need it !

:smile:

Cheers
Reply 12
Hello, I have an assessment coming up just wanted to know how u dealt with the extreme customers during the role play, also what terminal did u start your training at?
Original post by Ublock
Hello, I have an assessment coming up just wanted to know how u dealt with the extreme customers during the role play, also what terminal did u start your training at?

Hi ublock, my best advice would be deal with them politely, be clear with your instructions and advice, most importantly stay calm and listen to what the passenger is telling you, sometimes a sympathetic ear is all it takes to defuse the situation, before your test do some practice role play with friends and family it really dose help.

As for the terminal it's down to HR each terminal has it's own training team, whatever terminal you are allocated that is where you will train, it's 2 weeks classroom based at the compass centre on the bath road then 2 weeks operational training at your allocated terminal.

PS. they will tell you in the assessment centre that terminal security don't work nights I am proof they do, they are not on your roster often and unless you are allocated early roster you will be expected to work nights.

Good luck I am sure you'll be fine :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Evil Limey
Hi ublock, my best advice would be deal with them politely, be clear with your instructions and advice, most importantly stay calm and listen to what the passenger is telling you, sometimes a sympathetic ear is all it takes to defuse the situation, before your test do some practice role play with friends and family it really dose help.

As for the terminal it's down to HR each terminal has it's own training team, whatever terminal you are allocated that is where you will train, it's 2 weeks classroom based at the compass centre on the bath road then 2 weeks operational training at your allocated terminal.

PS. they will tell you in the assessment centre that terminal security don't work nights I am proof they do, they are not on your roster often and unless you are allocated early roster you will be expected to work nights.

Good luck I am sure you'll be fine :wink:

Hi Evil Limey,

Wish I had seen this thread before, may have helped me to be more prepared!

Please can you explain how long they took to contact you after the second assessment day?

Also, what happens next in the process if successful? Will it be the medical? If so, what's involved? How long does it take to complete?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply 15
Thanks a bunch definitely taking your advice for the role plays u been really useful :wink:
Hi, Evil Limey.

I have also just passed the second stage of assessment and been invited to do a medical. Can you tell me if they start doing background checks and referee checks immediately or do they wait until you've passed the medical?
Original post by Veeedub
Hi Evil Limey,

Wish I had seen this thread before, may have helped me to be more prepared!

Please can you explain how long they took to contact you after the second assessment day?

Also, what happens next in the process if successful? Will it be the medical? If so, what's involved? How long does it take to complete?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi veeedub,

I think it took round about 4 days for them to contact me, once they do they'll then book you in for a medical, the medical is very basic and they only test things like your hearing, eyesight and blood pressure.......etc, unless you have a serious medical condition I wouldn't worry about the medical.

*EDIT* - it takes around half an hour for the medical

Good luck :wink:

FAO everyone......just bear in mind HAL operates a zero tolerance illegal drugs policy and carry out random testing on a regular basis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr Pointment
Hi, Evil Limey.

I have also just passed the second stage of assessment and been invited to do a medical. Can you tell me if they start doing background checks and referee checks immediately or do they wait until you've passed the medical?

Cool :smile: well done, to be honest I don't really remember but you will know when they start the vetting process as you will be asked to complete your CTC (counter terrorism check), I do know they apply for the personal references 28 days before your start date.

I have to say that the HR team are fantastic and will keep in regular contact with you, if it helps it took around 2 months from when I passed my assessments to when I started my first day of training.
Hiya, I've got my telephone interview on Tuesday, can anyone tell me what are the exact questions they ask you during the interview? Thanks in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending