The Student Room Group

Homophobia is a form of Oppression.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/02/03/this-drag-queens-brilliant-response-to-homophobia-will-move-you-to-tears/

Read. Listen. Comment.

As a gay man myself I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of homophobia. It certainly does feel oppressive, and the gay rights activists all over the world are doing a marvellous job at stamping out this oppression, as any kind of oppression, large or small, should be stamped out. If oppression makes us want to fight back, it is not because we want something to which we can fight back - goodness knows there is enough in this world to fight back against - it is because we know that oppression posits us to question something about our self-worth: Is there something wrong with us? The question does not exist except as a response to oppression.

The problem is the oppression not the person being oppressed. Nor is the oppressor the problem, for he too his oppressed by his own feelings of resentment and cruelty. There is a cause elsewhere that this is the problem. And whilst I do not think we can tackle the true cause of this oppression, because human society is not perfect, we must accept that dealing with any cause is better than none at all.
Reply 1
What do you mean by stamping out oppression?

Is it oppression if I publicly state that I don't support or condone gay marriage/homosexual behavior?
Reply 2
Original post by Martyn*
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/02/03/this-drag-queens-brilliant-response-to-homophobia-will-move-you-to-tears/

Read. Listen. Comment.

As a gay man myself I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of homophobia. It certainly does feel oppressive, and the gay rights activists all over the world are doing a marvellous job at stamping out this oppression, as any kind of oppression, large or small, should be stamped out. If oppression makes us want to fight back, it is not because we want something to which we can fight back - goodness knows there is enough in this world to fight back against - it is because we know that oppression posits us to question something about our self-worth: Is there something wrong with us? The question does not exist except as a response to oppression.

The problem is the oppression not the person being oppressed. Nor is the oppressor the problem, for he too his oppressed by his own feelings of resentment and cruelty. There is a cause elsewhere that this is the problem. And whilst I do not think we can tackle the true cause of this oppression, because human society is not perfect, we must accept that dealing with any cause is better than none at all.

Amen.
It's telling you should choose what appears to be Nietzsche on your user name.
Gay people have had to be their own 'Supermen' sometimes to counter what to any sane person would appear to be utterly illogical hate against people who happen to prefer those of the same sex. It's not even anyone's business what I have for my tea, let alone who I lie in bed with.

Fortunately there are few serious 'Supermen' of the opposite view.

I am not gay but what could be more manly than wanting to be with a man anyway? (What could be more eye watering to my mind..)
I am sure it is always been partly the feminine part of anti-gay heads (whether the anit-gay person is male or female) that feels threatened by the idea that masculinity could 'turn in on itself' between 2 people, threatening the female desire to be being cared for.
Ironically, gay men might make very good friends to women.

It is entirely strange to me how anyone could feel any ounce of hate towards gay people.
They must be psychopathic in part.
Reply 3
Original post by Zorgotron

Is it oppression if I publicly state that I don't support or condone gay marriage/homosexual behavior?

No. But it is oppression if you or anyone publicly intimidates me or hits me in the face for being gay. Gay marriage is a separate issue. And what exactly is "homosexual behaviour" and how is it worse than the hooligan, beer-swilling, expletive behaviour of a lot of heterosexual males?
Reply 4
What you call "homophobia" (and I would call natural revulsion) is an immutable birth characteristic. A familiar concept? You are telling "homophobes" to control their impulses whilst refusing, as a homosexual, to do so yourself. You are also insisting that "homophobes" as well as society views everything through the queer prism, no matter how idiotic it gets. The public's sense of charity if you keep claiming "oppression" will extend so far, but it's not their struggle so ultimately they don't really care about your mental problems.
Original post by thesabbath
What you call "homophobia" (and I would call natural revulsion) is an immutable birth characteristic. A familiar concept? You are telling "homophobes" to control their impulses whilst refusing, as a homosexual, to do so yourself.

The obvious difference being that a homosexual acting on his impulses harms no-one, whereas a homophobe acting on his impulses (being a yob, throwing bottles at gay couples, shouting "poof" in the street) as behaving like a common thug.

You are also insisting that "homophobes" as well as society views everything through the queer prism, no matter how idiotic it gets. The public's sense of charity if you keep claiming "oppression" will extend so far, but it's not their struggle so ultimately they don't really care about your mental problems.

Ah yes, the promised backlash against gay people that homophobes have been promising for years. It's never happened, the only backlash has been against the bigots. We wiped the floor with you in the gay marriage debate :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MostUncivilised
The obvious difference being that a homosexual acting on his impulses harms no-one, whereas a homophobe acting on his impulses (being a yob, throwing bottles at gay couples, shouting "poof" in the street) as behaving like a common thug.

I have done none of the things you attribute to me, but have nonetheless been labelled by political opponents and intolerant homosexuals as a "homophobe" on many occasions for daring to voice my opposition to the Marxist deconstruction of marriage.

If you wish to engage in abnormal practices be my guest. I do not seek to prevent you from doing so, but do not expect me to approve of it. Why didn't homosexuals leave it there? They are far more bigoted than those they shout down.

Ah yes, the promised backlash against gay people that homophobes have been promising for years. It's never happened, the only backlash has been against the bigots. We wiped the floor with you in the gay marriage debate :smile:

You seek society's approval and you think you can force it. That is what this same-sex marriage nonsense is all about. Pink polls and a host of laws discouraging opposing viewpoints from being aired don't cut it I'm afraid.
Reply 7
Original post by Martyn*
No. But it is oppression if you or anyone publicly intimidates me or hits me in the face for being gay. Gay marriage is a separate issue. And what exactly is "homosexual behaviour" and how is it worse than the hooligan, beer-swilling, expletive behaviour of a lot of heterosexual males?

Homosexual behavior is conducting sexual acts with someone of the same gender. While you can't choose whether you're a homosexual or not, you can still choose whether you behave on these impulses.

You can do whatever you want on your own private property or hell, even on public property - but don't except people to love you and cheer for you for it.

In actual reality however, it seems to me that for pro-gay advocates, anything less from cheering and being 100% supportive of gays and their aspirations is homophobia and bigotry. Anyone who isn't 100% behind gay marriage and doesn't think homosexuality is a very good thing should be silenced from public discussions.

People always talk about the value of diversity and the plurality of opinions when in reality, the only opinions that are allowed are the ones that tickle these PC progressive leftist ideological preconceptions. Anyone who dares to voice conservative values (both social and economic) are always vilified as bigots, homophobes, racists - you name it. The oppressed have now become the oppressors.
Reply 8
How is this even a debate? Clearly it is. Well acting on it anyway; I mean if you're against gay rights you're a bit close minded but as long as you aren't openly slamming gay people I don't see that it matters much.
Reply 9
I think both gay women and transgender folks have it harder than gay men in the present day and age. Although very effeminate men may come up against similar challenges.

I would feel oppressed if every time I had physical contact with my partner in public men comment about turning me/threesomes or gather around to watch. Which is the frequent experience of my lesbian friends.

Also no offense to Irish but it is certainly more anti-gay than the UK
Reply 10
Gay people want equality. Acceptance etc. Fair enough but do gay activst accept the rights of other party? I can't speak for everyone but from what I witnessed they tend to insult Church or any other institutions that are against them. I guess you should realize that you won't get acceptance if you don't accept other's beliefs. Equality only works in two direction.

I don't think you are opressed. Opressed ar old people who had led a christian/muslim life and bow need to accept young people fight for a right to legally have a Dick up their ass. You should understand its hard for some cultures to accept that and instead of insulting them for being closedminded let them understand that gay isn't any sickness or a sin but your form of expressing your sexuality and uts more than a Dick in the ass
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thesabbath

You seek society's approval and you think you can force it.

(1) I don't care about society's approval, only equal protection under the law

(2) I already have society's approval. People like you are hated and despised by a majority of the population, homophobes are more hated than gay people. You are the ones who are seen as abnormal and weird.
Reply 12
(1) I don't care about society's approval, only equal protection under the law

Are gays being discriminated by law? How?

(2) I already have society's approval. People like you are hated and despised by a majority of the population, homophobes are more hated than gay people. You are the ones who are seen as abnormal and weird.

Now you've shown your true colors. You've called him a homophobe simply for stating conservative opinions. Your previous statement that homophobia is about either behaving violently towards homosexuals or directly insulting them is a complete distortion by your own admission.

Apparently, all it takes to be a homophobe is simply making conservative public statements. You can be a homophobe without ever insulting gays or acting violently towards them. All it takes is a differing view and making that view heard. How convenient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending