The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8480
why is it called football?
Original post by Olie
Yep, no joke, a Super Bowl record, yet they lost in one of the most one-sided SBs of all time, its unbelievable, just lots and lots of small and often meaningless gains, many against that defense not getting first downs.

Denver ended up ahead in first downs too, 18-17. Mostly because Seattle kept having to kick off to them... :smile:

They also had more passing yards (279 vs 206), fewer penalties (5 vs 10) for less than half the yardage (44 vs 104), only gave up one very minor sack (one yard lost), and weren't far off equal possession time (28:07 vs 31:53).
Reply 8482
Original post by Qari
why is it called football?

Not a bad question, the ball is in players' hands far more than its kicked:confused:
Reply 8483
Original post by Olie
Not a bad question, the ball is in players' hands far more than its kicked:confused:

ok can you give me the basics about the game?
Reply 8484
Original post by Qari
ok can you give me the basics about the game?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=american+football+basics
Reply 8485
Original post by Sammy Lanka
They said that game would be won in the trenches and it definately was. I am not for one second saying that manning had a good game but his o line was not good enough. I cannot remember a single play in which he had three un pressured seconds to throw the ball. The reason he threw int's and check downs was because there was no time for his receivers to get down field. Compare this to Wilson who has ages to throw the ball and you go a long way towards determining why the hawks won

Posted from TSR Mobile

Denvers WRs weren't getting enough separation either. The amount of short slants, checkdowns and stick routes manning threw to was ridiculous. That secondary coverage combined with an effective pass rush comfortable won the game. .
It turns out that Richard Sherman has said that the Seahawks defenders cracked Manning's hand signals during the first quarter. This would have given them a significant advantage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551566/Seahawks-star-Richard-Sherman-says-cracked-Peyton-Mannings-hand-signal-code-Super-Bowl-able-predict-play.html
C'mon, what does DM know about football. At least link the espn article.

I'm not on about the actual story, i'd read it on espn. It's because they don't know what they're talking about and just riding on the superbowl wagon for extra readers. When thinking of NFL news, DM is hardly the first place one would go to for in depth analysis.
Original post by Tokyoround
I'm not on about the actual story, i'd read it on espn. It's because they don't know what they're talking about and just riding on the superbowl wagon for extra readers. When thinking of NFL news, DM is hardly the first place one would go to for in depth analysis.

That is hardly relevant to the matter being discussed, is it? And certainly not worth spamming the thread about.
Original post by ..DT..
Denvers WRs weren't getting enough separation either. The amount of short slants, checkdowns and stick routes manning threw to was ridiculous. That secondary coverage combined with an effective pass rush comfortable won the game. .

Agree with you there. Bloody impressive display tbh.

It would be interesting to see a game between SF and Denver. If SF can push Seattle as hard as they did I recon they would have a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8492
Christ almighty, can I get a refund on my Jags ticket now? All I keep reading is that they'll take Clowney if he's available and they want Georgia Gamecock Aaron Murray (Who dat!?) as their Franchise QB? Are they serious? I really hope the real prospects make movements at combine to steer the franchise away from this disaster waiting to happen.

Not to mention that Clowney, despite immense upside, at the minute lacks work ethic and he's a one hit wonder with a big ego! Richard Sherman backs his ego up big time, for me, this guy hasn't really done that yet and he's spouting that he should be the #1 pick in the draft.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8493
Clowney wont go to the jags.
Reply 8494
What do you mean? Because he'll go higher or because he'll be one of those pathetic refuse to play players who as far as I'm concerned don't deserve their spot in the NFL
Reply 8495
Original post by Wattsy
Christ almighty, can I get a refund on my Jags ticket now? All I keep reading is that they'll take Clowney if he's available and they want Georgia Gamecock Aaron Murray (Who dat!?) as their Franchise QB? Are they serious? I really hope the real prospects make movements at combine to steer the franchise away from this disaster waiting to happen.

Not to mention that Clowney, despite immense upside, at the minute lacks work ethic and he's a one hit wonder with a big ego! Richard Sherman backs his ego up big time, for me, this guy hasn't really done that yet and he's spouting that he should be the #1 pick in the draft.

Fishing for another team to trade up to take him ?
Reply 8496
Original post by Wattsy
What do you mean? Because he'll go higher or because he'll be one of those pathetic refuse to play players who as far as I'm concerned don't deserve their spot in the NFL

If clowney goes #1 or 2 Jags are taking a QB, if he doesn't they're trading away.
I've seen a lot of mock drafts where "experts" have the Rams picking Clowney up. I know that Fisher lives by the Best Available Player rule but I'd prefer to see us trade down or pick up an OT like Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews. I've seen both mocked as high as #2 or as low as #16, so I have genuinely no idea where they're both going to land.

Dream scenario for our 2 first rounders: one of those two OT (or Lewan, for that matter) and Sammy Watkins :sogood:
Reply 8498
I'm really not about that best player available hype. I think you should pick best player for your team (translate as need) and your scheme available at that point in the draft. Pete Carroll won a bowl based on picking Pete Carroll type players, I think that is the formula for success.
Reply 8499
Lets be honest though, 2 months is a long time before the draft. Of course teams have prospects and their eyes on certain players but a huge trade offer on the draft day or an incident involving a player the week before the draft could hugely change the dynamic.

Latest