Hitler as chancellor

Watch
Waqar Khanny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What were the main reasons why Hitler was appointed as chancellor in 1933? Did he have any limitations to his power?
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
By 1934 he was a dictator. The Reichstag was burned down and he used it as an excuse to suspend civil liberties blaming the communists. Then the German parliament voted for him to be able to rule without parliament, so he had total power.

Quite how he became chancellor i'm not sure, I can't remember.
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He was underestimated, there were "intrigues" going on amongst certain people (who exactly I forget, sorry), to shut him up, because only he could call off the SA. There's a few reasons for you to go on that I got taught.

Initially he had to have Parliament ratify his laws but when he asked for Article 48 to be used to grant him emergency powers, and then when he passed the order for the protection of the people and the state and the enabling act, there was no going back.
Waqar Khanny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jjj90)
By 1934 he was a dictator. The Reichstag was burned down and he used it as an excuse to suspend civil liberties blaming the communists. Then the German parliament voted for him to be able to rule without parliament, so he had total power.

Thanks mate
Waqar Khanny
Rep:
?
(Original post by JD95)
He was underestimated, there were "intrigues" going on amongst certain people (who exactly I forget, sorry), to shut him up, because only he could call off the SA. There's a few reasons for you to go on that I got taught.

Initially he had to have Parliament ratify his laws but when he asked for Article 48 to be used to grant him emergency powers, and then when he passed the order for the protection of the people and the state and the enabling act, there was no going back.
Thanks
Apocrypha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)

There were many elections to which the Nazi party obtained huge amounts of votes, Hitler wanted the Chancellor position for a while until he got it, it was given to him, after previous chancellors were given the position with considerably less votes.

Initially, he was given the position in hope that it would calm down the Nazi's push for a majority in government, and then the Reichstag burned down.

If you watch Hitler: Rise of Evil, its a pretty realistic perception of it.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Apocrypha)
There were many elections to which the Nazi party obtained huge amounts of votes, Hitler wanted the Chancellor position for a while until he got it, it was given to him, after previous chancellors were given the position with considerably less votes.

Initially, he was given the position in hope that it would calm down the Nazi's push for a majority in government, and then the Reichstag burned down.

If you watch Hitler: Rise of Evil, its a pretty realistic perception of it.

This is pretty much the sum of it. It was done to keep him in check, it was assumed that public opinion would turn quickly against him with him as the figurehead of blame for all of the problems. Hindenburg still had well over 50% of the votes (and Hitler around 30something% off the top of my head) and he felt he would be easily capable of keeping him in check.

It's worth remembering that Papen had made Hitler vice chancellor via offer in 1932, to propose him as Chancellor, but Von Schleicher got the offer from Hindenburg. Hindenburg then tried to make Papen 'his man' by getting him to keep tabs on Hitler, and the two were confident they could keep him under control following this subterfuge once he became chancellor.
JD95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd also recommend Rise of Evil. It does miss out some key things (my teacher said at the time but I can't remember what exactly - it's been over a year now) but it's an interesting watch and it does put across what went down well enough.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hitlers party was the largest in parliament, but he did not have a majority and had just lost two presidential elections in quick succession. At the time however the parliament had scarcely any real power and the country had been ran by a succession of chancellors through emergency decree. Hitler became Chancellor because of a series of agreements between himself, Hindenburg (the president), and the old chancellor (forgot his name), Hitler wanted the chancellorship, Hindenburg did not want to give him this, and the old chancellor still wanted power. The old Chancellor told Hitler that he still had sway with Hindenburg, and told Hitler he would make him Chancellor if he made him the vice, the old Chancellor thought he would be able to reign in and control Hitler and that's what the told Hindenburg, who reluctantly appointed Hitler, who was threatening more violence and unrest from his already very violent Nazi party.

Check everything that I said before using it, this was just off the top of my head and I could have got a few things wrong.
JD95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's a good summary, right there.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The constitutional arrangements in Germany after 1918 were a recipe for instability. Then as now coalitions were a big thing. The Nazis began getting enough members into the Reichstag to disrupt the process by refusing to collaborate. Hence there were several elections. In the end they appointed Hitler as Chancellor to bring stability (ie the guy causing instability was appointed to stabilise it). He then quickly altered the constitution to suit himself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
14.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (6)
12.24%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (5)
10.2%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
40.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
18.37%

Watched Threads