The Student Room Group

Max UMS for OCR A Science A Levels

Hi all.

Title.

I haven't found any online raw score converters or anything like that.

And my teachers didn't know so for modules such as:

F321 - F325 and G481 - G485

So the exam papers and not the coursework.

In other words, the papers which are out of 60 (raw) and 100 (raw), on a standard paper with 80% of the raw marks being an A i.e. so like 48 being an A on the first and 80 being an A for the second. How many raw marks would be needed for 90 and 150 UMS respectively.

Thanks
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Hi all.

Title.

I haven't found any online raw score converters or anything like that.

And my teachers didn't know so for modules such as:

F321 - F325 and G481 - G485

So the exam papers and not the coursework.

In other words, the papers which are out of 60 (raw) and 100 (raw), on a standard paper with 80% of the raw marks being an A i.e. so like 48 being an A on the first and 80 being an A for the second. How many raw marks would be needed for 90 and 150 UMS respectively.

Thanks

The marks are different for each paper, generally around 80%=A 70%=B etc but if it's just for past papers then the exact boundaries will be online. When you get your UMS mark after the exams, they mark your paper, scale it up or down depending on where the grade boundaries lie for that paper, and then multiply by 1.5 to scale to a max of 90 or 150. So basically, to get 90 you generally have to get 100% (ie 60/60) but sometimes marks are scaled up so dropping a couple of marks can sometimes not affect your grade (i skipped over a 2 mark question on my G482 paper and got 150 UMS last year). Hope that helped a bit! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EveryNameIsTaken
The marks are different for each paper, generally around 80%=A 70%=B etc but if it's just for past papers then the exact boundaries will be online. When you get your UMS mark after the exams, they mark your paper, scale it up or down depending on where the grade boundaries lie for that paper, and then multiply by 1.5 to scale to a max of 90 or 150. So basically, to get 90 you generally have to get 100% (ie 60/60) but sometimes marks are scaled up so dropping a couple of marks can sometimes not affect your grade (i skipped over a 2 mark question on my G482 paper and got 150 UMS last year). Hope that helped a bit! :smile:

Oh right thanks, that clarifies it. Really helpful. Did you get 98 on that paper then xD.
Oh right thanks, that clarifies it. Really helpful. Did you get 98 on that paper then xD.

I assume so, i don't know exactly how much the paper was scaled up that year but i must have got around that. It must have been partly luck, i was expecting that to be my weakest exam and it ended up being my strongest from my AS's! Are you taking AS levels this year? :smile:
Reply 4
I assume so, i don't know exactly how much the paper was scaled up that year but i must have got around that. It must have been partly luck, i was expecting that to be my weakest exam and it ended up being my strongest from my AS's! Are you taking AS levels this year? :smile:

Wow thats really good. Well done :smile:

Nope I am doing A2 at the moment.
Wow thats really good. Well done :smile:

Nope I am doing A2 at the moment.

Ah i see! Same as me then
Reply 6
Ah i see! Same as me then

Nice, have you started revising yet :tongue:
Nice, have you started revising yet :tongue:

Haha... yeah, revision. I will start soon, I got swept up in the whole YOU WILL PUT ALL YOUR EFFORT INTO UNIVERSITY mentality of my tutors and haven't been paying any attention to my actual subjects... what about you?
Reply 8
Haha... yeah, revision. I will start soon, I got swept up in the whole YOU WILL PUT ALL YOUR EFFORT INTO UNIVERSITY mentality of my tutors and haven't been paying any attention to my actual subjects... what about you?

Haha I see. Tbh I am trying to complete the Unit 2/G485/F325 content atm. But yeah increasing revision/study time etc.

How are you finding the content in Physics this year :wink:
Haha I see. Tbh I am trying to complete the Unit 2/G485/F325 content atm. But yeah increasing revision/study time etc.

How are you finding the content in Physics this year :wink:

Well the first module i thought was quite good because I find the mechanics stuff easier, the magnetic/electric fields stuff we're doing at the minute I'm struggling on though! It looks like it will get more interesting after capacitors though, i'm just waiting for the nuclear physics :biggrin:
Did you do january exams for the other modules? My college stopped doing them so all of mine are summer, is every school doing that this year?
have you guys done evaluative task on "Determination of a formula".. i dont know what could come up as its soooo vague....
please help!!!!!
Reply 11
Well the first module i thought was quite good because I find the mechanics stuff easier, the magnetic/electric fields stuff we're doing at the minute I'm struggling on though! It looks like it will get more interesting after capacitors though, i'm just waiting for the nuclear physics :biggrin:
Did you do january exams for the other modules? My college stopped doing them so all of mine are summer, is every school doing that this year?

I really like Newtonian World topics and enjoy it more personally. I like the capacitor works but I don't like the circuit stuff so I will need to brush up on that.

Yeah that does look interesting.

Yeah I don't think they do exams in January for A Level anymore except in Wales, or the CIE afaik. Yeah I have all my modules in summer too.
I really like Newtonian World topics and enjoy it more personally. I like the capacitor works but I don't like the circuit stuff so I will need to brush up on that.

Yeah that does look interesting.

Yeah I don't think they do exams in January for A Level anymore except in Wales, or the CIE afaik. Yeah I have all my modules in summer too.

Me too, and I haven't started the capacitor stuff yet I've just on transistors. My college decided to trial the summer exams last year in science anyway so this is pretty much the same as last year, but I'm glad I got maths out of the way before they took january modules out! That much maths in one go is far too much to remember!
Reply 13
Me too, and I haven't started the capacitor stuff yet I've just on transistors. My college decided to trial the summer exams last year in science anyway so this is pretty much the same as last year, but I'm glad I got maths out of the way before they took january modules out! That much maths in one go is far too much to remember!

Capacitors are really interesting and a common exam topic from what I've seen. Yeah, its annoying that they stacked up the exams at the end of the year. I guess it gives more time to learn the work.

Are you applying for Physics then :smile:
Capacitors are really interesting and a common exam topic from what I've seen. Yeah, its annoying that they stacked up the exams at the end of the year. I guess it gives more time to learn the work.

Are you applying for Physics then :smile:

No, chemical engineering :smile: what about you?
Reply 15
No, chemical engineering :smile: what about you?

Nice, have you done the EES :wink:

I will apply for Economics.
Nice, have you done the EES :wink:

I will apply for Economics.

What's the EES? (I guess from the fact I had to ask, the answers probably no!)
Are you taking a gap year first?
Reply 17
What's the EES? (I guess from the fact I had to ask, the answers probably no!)
Are you taking a gap year first?

Yep applying in the fall.
I wish I'd done that now, it's been so stressful! I've literally not had a break, from one interview to another and the horrible wait in between, at least next year your offers will be unconditionals. where were you thinking of applying?
Reply 19
I wish I'd done that now, it's been so stressful! I've literally not had a break, from one interview to another and the horrible wait in between, at least next year your offers will be unconditionals. where were you thinking of applying?

I'd like to apply to the top unis. But that depends on my results. Yeah I guess thats true, at least you got the offer though! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest