The Student Room Group

Squats and Scooby Snacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AreebWithaHat
how do you do your barbell rows? yates style or is your back more angled?

Yates style.
who does a 100kg+ row ffs

IN
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Yates style.

Out of interest, how long do you rest between sets (for both compound exercises and isolation).

I'm considering trying higher rep/volume for a while to see if it leads to more muscle gain but what no one seems to talk about is optimum rest between sets...
Original post by In One Ear
Out of interest, how long do you rest between sets (for both compound exercises and isolation).

I'm considering trying higher rep/volume for a while to see if it leads to more muscle gain but what no one seems to talk about is optimum rest between sets...

I remember seeing 4 minutes for compound lifts. I don't understand how anyone does any less. I'm resting a lot, I time myself.
everyone else seems content to do sets a minute after each other
Original post by tehforum
I remember seeing 4 minutes for compound lifts. I don't understand how anyone does any less. I'm resting a lot, I time myself.
everyone else seems content to do sets a minute after each other

I much prefer long rest periods too, have to compromise way too much on weight if my rests are short.

But I was wondering if long rest periods are pretty much irrelevant with respect to hypertrophy so long as you are still under high tension and failing in the 8-10 rep range and do enough volume?
Original post by In One Ear

In short, it depends. It isn't so much a case of compound vs isolation, it's a case of how much weight I'm lifting. Also, it depends how I feel on the day, sometimes everything feels light and I can get away with really short rests, somedays everything is HEAVY no matter how long I rest.

Usually I rest about 3 minutes (give or take) for my heavy bench/row/squats etc, then when I drop the weight a little, I'll rest say 2 minutes as I don't need any longer. Pure isolation stuff, like preacher curls, I rest about 60 seconds.

Like I say though, it depends. The last few times I've done heavy dumbbell shoulder presses I've rested 4-5 minutes, and it's really been beneficial as it's meant I can go heavy, set after set.

I think rest times fall into place when you learn your body more, I don't time them or look at a clock, I sit there and day dream, I just 'know' when I'm ready.

Ultimately it's about putting weight through the muscle. I think lifting heavy is far more beneficial than worrying about time under tension, and all that jazz. I incorporate TOT a little bit, but not at the expensive of lifting heavy. I suppose the optimum rest period is the amount of time it takes you to be able to recover in order to be able to lift heavy again, and not a second longer.
Sunday 9th February 2014

Chest and Shoulders

Chest:

Barbell bench press -
110kg X 6, 5

Incline dumbbell bench press (hammer grip) -
40kg X 7, 6

Incline barbell bench press -
80kg X 10, 8, 6
60kg X 8, 6, 4

Shoulders:

Dumbbell press -
30kg X 8, 6
25kg X 8

Felt so weak and tired. Drank too much Friday night, I'm still pretty dry and dehydrated. Too much rough sex too, all that cardio is killing my gains! (serious)
Wtf are you training like a fat powerlifter now :biggrin: okay you italicised your excuses. Just this one time...

Sent from my HTC One
Original post by silent ninja
Wtf are you training like a fat powerlifter now :biggrin: okay you italicised your excuses. Just this one time...

Sent from my HTC One

I'll bro it up again real soon!
Below 8 reps on bench?! You relying ok mate? Also lol at the incline bencher on your fb, would have been funny if he got pinned by the bar.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Below 8 reps on bench?! You relying ok mate? Also lol at the incline bencher on your fb, would have been funny if he got pinned by the bar.

He was a right ****ing ****. I wanted to incline bench too, but he was using it... Hence the two sets of incline dumbbells, which I hate. I wish he had dropped the bar on his face.
Sunday 9th February 2014

Chest and Shoulders

Chest:

Barbell bench press -
110kg X 6, 5

Incline dumbbell bench press (hammer grip) -
40kg X 7, 6

80kg X 10, 8, 6
60kg X 8, 6, 4

Shoulders:

Dumbbell press -
30kg X 8, 6
25kg X 8

Felt so weak and tired. Drank too much Friday night, I'm still pretty dry and dehydrated. Too much rough sex too, all that cardio is killing my gains! (serious)

You ain't fooling anybody with those raisens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RollerBall
You ain't fooling anybody with those raisens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They may not be good excuses, but they're my reasons and I'm sticking to them :biggrin:
Thursday 13th February 2014

Legs:

Leg extension/Hamstring curl superset
90kg/40kg X 12/10, 10/8, 8/6

Leg extension (drop-set)
75kg/60kg/45kg X 10/6/6, 8/4/4

Hamstring curl (drop-set)
30kg/20kg X 10/6, 8/4

Incline leg press -
160kg X 15, 12
200kg X 8, 6

Seated calf raise -
40kg X 12, 8
20kg X 10, 8

Standing calf raise -
60kg X 10, 8
50kg X 8, 6

Them feels when no longer eating toblerone. RIP gainz.
Monday 17th February 2014

Chest

100kg X 6, 4
90kg X 4
80kg X 4
70kg X 8, 6, 5
60kg X 20, 10, 9

Them feels when no toblerone in system. Them weak feels. :frown:
First workout in 5 days and only incline BP. Are you feeling okay, Scoobie? :frown:

Still beastly, though. That 100kg incline. Plate by 20.
Reply 436
dont be sad
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
First workout in 5 days and only incline BP. Are you feeling okay, Scoobie? :frown:

Still beastly, though. That 100kg incline. Plate by 20.

It was 'only' 4 days as I lifted on the Monday, just didn't update as I was being lazy.

Had an ice hockey game Saturday night, it's INCREDIBLY draining/leaves me dead the day after, so I didn't lift at the weekend :frown: All those wasted gains!

Just incline barbell benching is my new chest workout, I've decided I hate flat bench as it's such a pain in the arse having to get a lift off during warm up sets, let alone during working sets.

Plus, it's much easier on my triceps, shoulders, biceps, wrists and elbows.
It was 'only' 4 days as I lifted on the Monday, just didn't update as I was being lazy.

Had an ice hockey game Saturday night, it's INCREDIBLY draining/leaves me dead the day after, so I didn't lift at the weekend :frown: All those wasted gains!

Just incline barbell benching is my new chest workout, I've decided I hate flat bench as it's such a pain in the arse having to get a lift off during warm up sets, let alone during working sets.

Plus, it's much easier on my triceps, shoulders, biceps, wrists and elbows.

I know that feel :frown: I've been off since Saturday but hopefully upper session tonight. No time for legs

Sent from my HTC One
Original post by silent ninja
I know that feel :frown: I've been off since Saturday but hopefully upper session tonight. No time for legs

Sent from my HTC One

Is there ever time for legs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest