The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Does anyone know if they're still giving out interviews?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 861
Original post by mutlibd1
Does anyone know if they're still giving out interviews?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they still are.
Reply 862
Hello hello! I'm completely new here and I have been spending many hours searching the web for answers :

I applied at Liverpool and I'm a french student so I do not know what are the selection criteria for the french baccalaureate - I read about GCSEs percentages (I don't know what the conversion is for the FB) and I'm dying for an answer so any word would be helping me! Thank you everyone xx
ps : I know they rate the PS but I think the grades must be as equally important
Original post by FrenchG
Hello hello! I'm completely new here and I have been spending many hours searching the web for answers :

I applied at Liverpool and I'm a french student so I do not know what are the selection criteria for the french baccalaureate - I read about GCSEs percentages (I don't know what the conversion is for the FB) and I'm dying for an answer so any word would be helping me! Thank you everyone xx
ps : I know they rate the PS but I think the grades must be as equally important

I wish I could help you but I'm not very sure about FB. Is it the same as IB (international Baccalaureate)?
I strongly recommend sending an email to the Admissions.
Or you could ask one of the students here/ thread starter. (If you go to Page1, you can see their posts: click on their names>visit profile>send a message) You could send them a private message; they are very helpful :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 864
Original post by Laurasurreal
I wish I could help you but I'm not very sure about FB. Is it the same as IB (international Baccalaureate)?
I strongly recommend sending an email to the Admissions.
Or you could ask one of the students here/ thread starter. (If you go to Page1, you can see their posts: click on their names>visit profile>send a message) You could send them a private message; they are very helpful :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I am sending an email :smile: Thank you for the tips and to answer your question I don't think they are the same :
we have 9 subjects i think but the grades are not the same everything is on 20 for the FB whereas I think the IB it's on 50 or 60 ? Also the coefficients for each subject are not the same. I already sat 4 subjects : TPE (teamwork and lab project), french (written), french (oral), history-geography. Now I have all the science subjects (maths, biology, physics + speciality in physics) + languages (spanish + english) + sport due from early march until june!
Reply 865
Has anyone else received an email from Liverpool reminding you to apply to student finance? I'm a bit confused as no one has offers, so how can we?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 866
Original post by Daffyd
Hey guys!!

So I'm browsing through the Departmental Supplement pdf and I was trying to see how they hand out offers, and it wasn't too clear on it. It says "the overall interview-scores are ranked, andthe top-scoring applicants are made an offer" but then it goes on to say "combination of both academic achievement/potentialand the interview score of the applicant" are used for borderline decisions (tie-breakers?). So I was just hoping someone could clarify that, all things aside, post-interview they will ONLY use the interview score for making decisions? I'm a little bit scared because I don't think I did the best in my interview (because let's be honest, 15 minutes is unusually short for a med interview) but I think my PS and grades are fairly (if not more so) competitive. I was kinda banking on the UCAS portion being weighed a bit more heavily so I could piggy-back off that to make up for my (self-perceived) interview disaster.

Also, a side question, it seems like Liverpool likes to score its applicants on all the different aspects, eg. interview scores, academic scores, etc etc. Does anyone actually know how many different scores (ie sections) they evaluate us on?

Sorry for the bombard. I'm just super duper antsy and stressed.

Ok ok ok EDIT: I asked a similar question before and Kyalimers linked to a reply they made to someone else in terms of GCSE scores (thanks btw!) but my qualifications aren't UK based so I actually have no idea what those scores mean or what they translate to. From what I gather in that reply, academics don't play much of a role after interview? Was that the point? So what about other things in the PS like "health care career awareness and insight, caring for the localcommunity, and a critical, coherent, and informative approach to written communication" stop playing a role?

Pretty much what I would want to find out as well! We would really appreciate it if anyone could answer :biggrin:
Reply 867
Original post by Student 1
Has anyone else received an email from Liverpool reminding you to apply to student finance? I'm a bit confused as no one has offers, so how can we?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need an offer to apply for student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 868

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I got this as well,confusing! did you get one from Liverpool accommodation about a lost hard drive??
Had my interview this week and I was shocked by how badly it went!! The questions seemed very focused on one area (which, unfortunately, I was weak on) and I didn't like them at all :frown: However, the 2 ladies were really nice which eased my nervousness. Kind of.
Disappointed with my performance and the interview overall, but I'm hoping there will be a twist of fate that leads us to getting offers :tongue: I really love Liverpool and would be crushed to not go there!
Reply 870
Hi which area was this what they asked you .
Reply 871
Original post by Maxxie
You don't need an offer to apply for student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if we have no offers yet is there any point applying for student loan? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 872
But if we have no offers yet is there any point applying for student loan? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Student finance are the slowest people ever, it's rarely a smooth process. Assuming you do get an offer, the best way of ensuring you have finance from day one is applying early.

Of course, there are the lucky few who send of their applications and get their notification of entitlement back after a couple of weeks.
Reply 873
Original post by Daffyd
Ok wait. Did EVERYONE get that email? Because I didn't. Am I en route to getting rejected?! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm sure you're not! I didn't get the other email people were talking about. Have you had an interview? I have, that might be why?
Original post by Daffyd
Ok wait. Did EVERYONE get that email? Because I didn't. Am I en route to getting rejected?! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check your junk mail :smile:
Reply 875
Any current liverpool medic can you please tell us how much case based learning has been implemented now at liverpool and do we need to know about it in great detail for our interview ? Thanks guys!
Reply 876
Original post by Daffyd
Hey guys!!

So I'm browsing through the Departmental Supplement pdf and I was trying to see how they hand out offers, and it wasn't too clear on it. It says "the overall interview-scores are ranked, andthe top-scoring applicants are made an offer" but then it goes on to say "combination of both academic achievement/potential and the interview score of the applicant" are used for borderline decisions (tie-breakers?). So I was just hoping someone could clarify that, all things aside, post-interview they will ONLY use the interview score for making decisions? I'm a little bit scared because I don't think I did the best in my interview (because let's be honest, 15 minutes is unusually short for a med interview) but I think my PS and grades are fairly (if not more so) competitive. I was kinda banking on the UCAS portion being weighed a bit more heavily so I could piggy-back off that to make up for my (self-perceived) interview disaster.

Also, a side question, it seems like Liverpool likes to score its applicants on all the different aspects, eg. interview scores, academic scores, etc etc. Does anyone actually know how many different scores (ie sections) they evaluate us on?

Sorry for the bombard. I'm just super duper antsy and stressed.

Ok ok ok EDIT: I asked a similar question before and Kyalimers linked to a reply they made to someone else in terms of GCSE scores (thanks btw!) but my qualifications aren't UK based so I actually have no idea what those scores mean or what they translate to. From what I gather in that reply, academics don't play much of a role after interview? Was that the point? So what about other things in the PS like "health care career awareness and insight, caring for the localcommunity, and a critical, coherent, and informative approach to written communication" stop playing a role?

pf192
x

Missed this as you didn't quote me!

To answer your question, the interview score seems to be the main criteria for offers. The university itself states this:

All offers are based on interview performance and the threshold varies year on year.

However, those with lower interview scores have managed to get in, albeit under what circumstances, I cannot say; there may well be a reason for this.

They do go on to say:

For both the A100 and A101 programmes, it is usual that, unless issues of concern have been raised, the overall interview-scores are ranked, and the top-scoring applicants are made an offer. In making borderline decisions, it may be necessary to make offers based on the combination of both academic achievement/potential and the interview score of the applicant.

Essentially your PS only really matters for two things; getting an interview and forming a foundation for the interview.

As for how many criteria your are scored on, I cannot answer that question with certainty as they haven't made it too clear what 'form reading score is' but the answer is either 3 or 4. The sub-categories are PS (for which there are 2 form-reading scores), GCSE and interview.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 877
Are they still handing out interviews? Haven't heard anything :frown:
Reply 878
Original post by gaby_xo
Are they still handing out interviews? Haven't heard anything :frown:

Yes they still are!
Reply 879
For the interview we have to report to the medical school building Cedar House right ? and how many minutes before the interview should we arrive !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending