The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
did you have to get work experience references?
Reply 861
Original post by great life
Congrats. You must be thrilled! And relieved, I presume.

How was your interview? Mine's on 25th. Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, thrilled and relieved. :smile:
Tips are to study your personal statement and to read up on recent medical news and developments. However, the most important thing is to be relaxed and to be yourself. Sorry - that is so cliché, but it's true! I was asked about healthcare in the USA (because I have lived there) and could not answer it at all. Struggled with some other questions too, and came out feeling like I had failed it. But overall, I did succeed in not being too nervous and had a lovely conversation with the interviewers, that was filled with a lot of smiling and even some laughter.
So yes, keep that in mind! Also prepare for the usual 'Why do you want to study Medicine?' question because, although I did not, many people I spoke to got asked that immediately.
Original post by chi80
did you have to get work experience references?

I presume your question was for me. No, I was not asked to produce any reference. Just the interview mail which says I can upload any references if I wish to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 863
No, got an email today. Interview on 25th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your stats?
Reply 864
Do you know if it's generally advisable to send work experience references even if not demanded by UCL or it doesn't affect your chances much once you have been invited? Also, do people actually ask questions after the interview? I was wondering if it would be better to ask a stupid question or no question at all :biggrin:
Original post by sophiemed
Yes, thrilled and relieved. :smile:
Tips are to study your personal statement and to read up on recent medical news and developments. However, the most important thing is to be relaxed and to be yourself. Sorry - that is so cliché, but it's true! I was asked about healthcare in the USA (because I have lived there) and could not answer it at all. Struggled with some other questions too, and came out feeling like I had failed it. But overall, I did succeed in not being too nervous and had a lovely conversation with the interviewers, that was filled with a lot of smiling and even some laughter.
So yes, keep that in mind! Also prepare for the usual 'Why do you want to study Medicine?' question because, although I did not, many people I spoke to got asked that immediately.

Thanks. I will bear all this in mind, especially the not being nervous bit :-)

Were your interviewers friendly? How many of them on the panel? Sorry for all these questions. I'm pleased to get an interview and want to give it my best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andante22
Do you know if it's generally advisable to send work experience references even if not demanded by UCL or it doesn't affect your chances much once you have been invited? Also, do people actually ask questions after the interview? I was wondering if it would be better to ask a stupid question or no question at all :biggrin:

I sent one reference but I don't know how much that helped in the application or if they even got it! Once you get the interview the offer is based soley on your interview performance. I didn't, I just said everything was answered by the prospectus or higher years at UCL. Seemed to work for me :smile:

Were your interviewers friendly? How many of them on the panel? Sorry for all these questions. I'm pleased to get an interview and want to give it my best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they haven't changed it then it should be 3 people, 2 will answer questions while one will just remain silent. They are really friendly, the nicest interview I had :smile:
Original post by IBMOM
What are your stats?

9A*2A at GCSE, AAAAB, predicted A*AA. Rubbish BMAT of 4.5, 4.8, 3.5A (had no hope of an interview with those scores)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 868

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they were very friendly. They asked me obvious non-interview questions, such as 'so, have you enjoyed your time in London?' - just to strike up conversation and make it less formal.
I had 2 interviewers but others had 3. It varies.
Best of luck! :biggrin:
9A*2A at GCSE, AAAAB, predicted A*AA. Rubbish BMAT of 4.5, 4.8, 3.5A (had no hope of an interview with those scores)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on the interview, and good luck as well :biggrin: you've also given me a boost of hope
Original post by sophiemed
Yes, they were very friendly. They asked me obvious non-interview questions, such as 'so, have you enjoyed your time in London?' - just to strike up conversation and make it less formal.
I had 2 interviewers but others had 3. It varies.
Best of luck! :biggrin:

Thanks. I hope it all goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zhang599

If they haven't changed it then it should be 3 people, 2 will answer questions while one will just remain silent. They are really friendly, the nicest interview I had :smile:

I hope my interview will be as nice. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thebeatlebard
Congrats on the interview, and good luck as well :biggrin: you've also given me a boost of hope

Thanks. Hope you get an interview soon. What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 873
When do ucl usually start sending out rejections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ~Zahra~
When do ucl usually start sending out rejections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Throughout the process! They usually send the interviews and rejections out in batches though. My friend applied last year and got rejected even after the deadline of March.
Reply 875
when i was walking past that hospital opposite euston... the nurses in that place good god almighty!! ucl will defo be a firm ting off that alone fam
Reply 876
Has anyone who had an interview on 5/2 heard back yet???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 877
Original post by mli26
Has anyone who had an interview on 5/2 heard back yet???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing the interview invitations will start to dry up pretty soon... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sausagerolled
I'm guessing the interview invitations will start to dry up pretty soon... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all. I'd say they'll stop giving out interviews in 3/4 weeks which a month left! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending