The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah it was a fantastic performance from Ward - he was hanging on for most of the match so to turn it around in the final two the way he did against a top player took bravery.

Italy and Argentina are both winnable ties I believe, especially Italy.

Yeah if only he could play at that level more consistently!

Yeah Italy and Argentina are winnable especially if Delpo isn't playing. If it is Argentina I am pretty sure we will be at home and Italy I think it will be randomly choosen. Currently 1-1 and 1-1 in sets in the doubles.
Reply 341
Who do you think had a better net game JMac or Pete Sampras?
Team GB beats USA 3-1 in the Davis Cup! :biggrin: first time into quarters since 1986 :eek: Querrey really pushing Murray in those first couple of sets but Murray coming out on top, incredible performance by Ward a couple of days ago as well :yep:
Reply 343
Yesterday Ivo Karlovic lost one point on serve in the first set and lost it!! :eek: 7-6 (4)

Quite unbelievable to be that good on your serve and still not win the set!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 344
Original post by ubi1
Who do you think had a better net game JMac or Pete Sampras?

JMac definitely. Remember, Sampras was following in to the net on the back of a big serve, whereas Mac didn't have that luxury. Mac had the most natural touch of all players. Sampras' volleys were a bit overrated, but he was also very good certainly better than all of the players currently on the tour.
Reply 345
Original post by Roger1
JMac definitely. Remember, Sampras was following in to the net on the back of a big serve, whereas Mac didn't have that luxury. Mac had the most natural touch of all players. Sampras' volleys were a bit overrated, but he was also very good certainly better than all of the players currently on the tour.

Aye there's no footage of Mac on youtube!:frown:
Reply 346
Original post by ubi1
Aye there's no footage of Mac on youtube!:frown:

Lol, there is plenty. Obviously, not as much as that of the modern guys, but that is understandable given that youtube, internet didn't even exist back in Mac's day.
Reply 347
Original post by Roger1
Lol, there is plenty. Obviously, not as much as that of the modern guys, but that is understandable given that youtube, internet didn't even exist back in Mac's day.

Bad quality though! I cant even see the ball.
Reply 348
Original post by ubi1
Bad quality though! I cant even see the ball.

Watch him on senior tour.
Reply 349
Original post by Roger1
Watch him on senior tour.

Nole just posted on his Fb that he is going to win RG:frown:
His already started practising while Nadal withdraws from Buenos aires citing stomack problem!:frown:
Reply 350
Original post by ubi1
His already started practising while Nadal withdraws from Buenos aires citing stomack problem!:frown:

Nole has been saying that for the last 3 years. He better do it this year, because his window of opportunity is slowly closing with each passing year.

About Nadal.... It's only a stomach virus, nothing major. He'll be fine for Acapulco.
Reply 351
Original post by ubi1

It's just words, he'll need more than that to win RG this year! Nadal's a big boy I'm sure he'll be fine :smile:
Dan Evans performing well in Zagreb. Just defeated Kohlschreiber in 3 sets and advanced to his ATP semifinal.
Original post by Roger1

You say it as though Sampras was given that serve by some higher power and never worked on it.
Reply 354
Original post by Damning Eden
Dan Evans performing well in Zagreb. Just defeated Kohlschreiber in 3 sets and advanced to his ATP semifinal.

Great to see him making progress at ATP level. He plays Haas today at around 5 o'clock this evening. He will move to around 120-125 in the rankings if loses and a win will see him go to about 110.

Also, after pitting her name on the entry list Serena has decided not to play at IW this year. She has not played their since 2001 after the alleged racist remarks and booing were aimed at the Williams.
Reply 355
Murray accepted the wildcard for Rotterdam, he and Del Potro could be a good final.
Reply 356
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/02/7/ATP-World-Tour-2015-Calendar.aspx

The 2015 calendar will feature 62 tournaments in 31 countries across six continents and, for the first time, will incorporate a three-week grass-court swing in the lead up to The Championships, Wimbledon.

The extended grass-court swing will be comprised of events in Stuttgart, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, London-Queen’s, Halle, and a new 48-draw event in Nottingham (previously held as a 28-draw in Eastbourne). Newport will continue to be held the week after Wimbledon. In addition, Queen’s and Halle will be re-categorised as ATP World Tour 500 events, bringing the grass-court season additional weight in the 52-week Emirates ATP Rankings with a 75 percent increase in points attributed to the surface.
Reply 357

About time, to be quite frank. Really should have happened at least 10 years ago - I'm still surprised there's no Masters 1000 event being held on grass
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 358
Original post by Krish4791
About time, to be quite frank. Really should have happened at least 10 years ago - I'm still surprised there's no Masters 1000 event being held on grass

Personally i'd like a minimum 2 months for each surface. At 6 weeks we have made progress for grass though.
Reply 359
Gulbis took out Del Potro and Murray is now down a set to Cilic.

Hewitt doing well though, now back above 40 in the world and i'd wager will be seeded for Paris and Wimwbledon.

Quick Reply

Latest