The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muffyn
Hi guys, I've been following this thread for a while and I just thought I might as well join in on the discussion as well. I'm doing further maths maths economics physics. Maths and economics exam went well, physics didn't because I didn't use a calculator (I didn't know! They didn't say!!) but hahahahahahha I got the interview!!! And for physics as well!!!! Now I know I will have to make up for my poor exam results in this interview. I hope I have an interview with the headmaster (I thought he had a maths background as well as physics - who knows) because I had a good impression of him when I was in the further maths group with him so it would be good if he interviewed me. I know you've been sworn to secrecy but can anyone who's done the interview tell me if it's really tense? I'm so nervous right now - mines on the 15th. Is it formal or friendly? Also, I bought a sort of suit-like outfit (black jacket and long black skirt) is that what other interviewees wore to the interview cause they said smart wear - no jeans? Thanks :smile:

There were a few who I distinctly remember in the triangle further maths group with the Headmaster. There was a tall, well educated boy and an Asian girl that both repeatedly answered every question. I was the Indian one in the gray suit.
Original post by Muffyn
Oh ha I think by Asian you mean Chinese? If so, that was me (I think.). Did you get an interview in the end? And for which subject? I am sorry I can not recall your face. Still, it is nice to have someone who is also trying out for Harris Westminster.

Yes, I remember you :biggrin: And yes, I got an interview for Maths on the 5th but I decided not to attend because of an offer from, in my opinion, a slightly better school for my purposes (King's College School). Good luck, I'm sure you'll get in :wink:
I'm a student from South London and I have applied for Harris Westminster. I'm very tense as I have chosen to be interviewed on Biology and Biology consists of many different elements. By looking at this forum I can understand that I'm not the only person who is nervous. I would like to know if anybody else here is doing an interview on biology.
Original post by Muffyn
hi I do not have biology as one of my alevels but seeing as you are online I will just seize the chance to talk to you about it. ;p are you going to wear a suit for the interview?

I'm going to wear a casual shirt and a trouser. I might wear a suit if my mum forces me to.

I just searched up Westminster school and this video came up. After watching this video I would really want to go to Harris Westminster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBW3zSRLxkU

Watch The Video Above
Original post by Muffyn
Just watched all of it. Very inspiring. I like the fact that WS pushes you to think deeper into the subject rather than just going by the syllabus. I really hope Harris Westminster can be the same as well but who knows. If you are wearing a suit then I am wearing a suit then. Thanks! Have you prepared for the interview yet? I haven't. It is not looking good because I have to two upcoming course work due next week and I have not prepared/done any. Ah well.

Are the questions in the interview gonna be specific questions or questions like 'what do you like about biology ?'. I am not sure if I should prepare for the interview as others in my school don't seem like they are preparing for the interview.
Original post by Muffyn
. Example questions would be like: "what do you like about x" "what career are you thinking of going into" I read somewhere that in Westminster they test your character so it could be like "what would you do if tomorrow was the end of the world" and some more insightful questions about the world around you such as "what do you imagine the world would be like jn 500 years time?" (I got that in a year7 interview) or "what is currently the biggest issue, in your opinion, of the world today?" Perhaps they might even ask you about your extracurriculars (which I am going to fail at if they do ask). Who knows. Or perhaps they are just going to focus on the subject being interviewed and your understanding/potential/passion for it and nothing else. NOTE to everyone reading: this is not me divulging anything about the interview but merely my hunch - I myself have not done the interview yet, just to clarify. I would prepare because you need to be able to talk about a topic which really interests you. I do have some topics which I like but that is only to gcse knowledge - to really stand out in and interview you would need to be able to discuss a chosen topic in depth whih goes beyond the gcse syllabus otherwise the interviewer might think you do not care for the subject that much.

Thank you. I'm most likely to plan and prepare for the interview with the hints you have given. The tips you have given seem very useful to me.
Reply 266
I have biology tooooo!!!!!
Reply 267
Hey guys,have you heard anything about the interview timings because iv'e heard nothing about them.
Original post by Jboyn247
I have biology tooooo!!!!!

How are you gonna prepare for the interview?
Reply 269
Original post by Muffyn
Me neither. If by Thursday evening, still nothing, then I'm calling them. Edit: just saw on mr handscombe's twitter site. Emails out tonight.

Oh cool,thanks :smile: me and my friend were planning on doing the same thing because it had been a while. So anyways, have you prepared much for the interview?
Reply 270
My interview time is 11am! I have no idea how to prepare for Religious Studies aha xD
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 271
Original post by Muffyn
Lol nope. I really need to. But I have English coursework and history controlled assessment due this week and it is not working out very well. I don't like how everyone on here are taking the interview so seriously. Makes me nervous. Will probably do something Thursday night (after coursework hand in)

I genuinely feel sympathy for you because they are both so long and should focus on them but I agree with you about the overprep thing. My subject is Spanish and I don't have a clue on what I should prepare on but,I do have points which I will include but it looks like nobody on this thread picked a language which is awkward.:/
Reply 272
I finally got my interview letter!! Phew! My interview is at 10am, on English lit. Good luck to everyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 273
I emailed them. My interview is at 2pm.
Has anybody, who has a English Literature interview, been able to read any of the books that were part of "Suggested Reading" ?
Reply 275
My interview is at 2pm aswell
Got a conditional offer.

Swag.

:colonhash:
Reply 277
Original post by StrangeBanana
Got a conditional offer.

Swag.

:colonhash:

Well done! If you don't mind me asking what projected grades did they give you for your conditional offer?
Oh carp, my mistake! xD Wrong school. Sorry for worrying anyone. :tongue:

By the way, Muffyn, I wouldn't stress so much. You'll be fine! :biggrin:
Reply 279
Original post by StrangeBanana
Oh carp, my mistake! xD Wrong school. Sorry for worrying anyone. :tongue:

By the way, Muffyn, I wouldn't stress so much. You'll be fine! :biggrin:

Darn! I thought the wait was finally over :'(

Quick Reply

Latest