The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Anon 16 - I think it's unlikely that you're pregnant but have you had a period yet? If not, go back and speak to the doctor.

Anon 17 - Big congratulations :biggrin: Yeah the tiredness at first can be so draining. Hang in there.

randdom - I'm the total opposite to you. I've never worried about my pregnancies at all. I totally understand your concerns though but try to stay positive - you have no medical reason why anything should go wrong. I'm glad your scan went well.

Anon 14 - I bet you're really looking forward to your scan. Hopefully your morning sickness won't last too much longer.

madders - 27 weeks eek it's going by so fast!

My parenting update :

Lydia - hmm not much to say about her. She's 8 but has the attitude of a teenager. God help me when she actually becomes a teenager!

Alex - Typical 6 year old. He dotes on his baby brother.

Jason - Yesterday he projectile vomited all over the staircase, and then spent the rest of the day with a dodgy stomach. Then had runs in the evening. Not good. He was off nursery last week because of having a cold, and now I've had to ring them up to say he's off again with a dodgy tummy. No idea what's up with him - norovirus? No clue. Anyway he seems a little better today.

Nathan - He's 6 and a half months old now. He's eating 2 solid (pureed) meals a day as well as still on breastmilk. We decided against baby-led weaning because it was pointless. He'd have one tiny suck of the food, drop it, and then the dog would eat it. At the moment he's really really full of cold. He had a temperature but calpol seems to be keeping it under control more or less. Poor kid though it's so hard for him to breathe at night lying down so he had a really fitful night last night. We've brought him downstairs this morning and put him in his bouncer and he's dropped off. He must be shattered. The bouncer seems to be better for him as it's upright.

The eldest 3 have started swimming lessons. Costs a blinking fortune though. £20 a month EACH child on direct debit. My mother is helping out for those lessons.

Hmm that's about it really.

Recent pics :

Lydia
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/59953_458753250918175_616458367_n.jpg

Alex
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1505355_458753327584834_1030575753_n.jpg

Jason (and me)
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1524811_457346191058881_439255206_n.jpg

Nathan
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1535676_458753370918163_750298469_n.jpg
Hi guys!

Sorry I've not posted in ages, been a busy few weeks. Well, I had that ultrasound and everything is good - it turns out I was really early - only 8+4 when I had the scan, so we've got another booked in for early March, when I should be around 13+3 I think.

It's nice to actually have a date in mind now - I looked it up online and my due date is apparently September 7th! We also saw the baby's little heartbeat on the scan, which was nice, and the sonographer said that everything looks as she would expect it to at this point. This means that today I am 9+5! Coming along nicely.

I also waaaaaay overdrank for the scan - next time I will actually count out a litre and stick to it - and the sonographer commented that I had the biggest bladder she had ever seen, and told me to go and empty some of it out because they couldn't see enough with my bladder taking up so much space. It was also horrendously painful :frown:

But yes, all good news. This means we'll be 'coming out' and telling people in less than a month now! And I read that once you can see the baby's heartbeat you're much less likely to miscarry, so I feel good about that too.

:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys!

Sorry I've not posted in ages, been a busy few weeks. Well, I had that ultrasound and everything is good - it turns out I was really early - only 8+4 when I had the scan, so we've got another booked in for early March, when I should be around 13+3 I think.

It's nice to actually have a date in mind now - I looked it up online and my due date is apparently September 7th! We also saw the baby's little heartbeat on the scan, which was nice, and the sonographer said that everything looks as she would expect it to at this point. This means that today I am 9+5! Coming along nicely.

I also waaaaaay overdrank for the scan - next time I will actually count out a litre and stick to it - and the sonographer commented that I had the biggest bladder she had ever seen, and told me to go and empty some of it out because they couldn't see enough with my bladder taking up so much space. It was also horrendously painful :frown:

But yes, all good news. This means we'll be 'coming out' and telling people in less than a month now! And I read that once you can see the baby's heartbeat you're much less likely to miscarry, so I feel good about that too.

:smile:

Great news :smile: are you feeling ok? Do you have much nausea?

24 weeks today. Have just spent the last seven hours driving to see my in-laws and am shattered.

We are starting to get things ready now and have a few books to read. Everyone in the house is interested as demonstrated by the picture below :tongue:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391801031.148374.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randdom
Great news :smile: are you feeling ok? Do you have much nausea?

24 weeks today. Have just spent the last seven hours driving to see my in-laws and am shattered.

We are starting to get things ready now and have a few books to read. Everyone in the house is interested as demonstrated by the picture below :tongue:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391801031.148374.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The nausea has changed a little - I don't feel anywhere near as sick, but I still throw up about the same amount, it just comes very unexpectedly. I've stopped opening the fridge before 1pm because it's brought on sickness a few times! All in all a little better.

That's very cute! Have you got the nursery sorted yet?
Oops. Replied on my phone. I guess that's me unanonymised...
Original post by Kater Murr

Congrats on your pregnancy :smile:
Reply 1266
Original post by randdom

24 weeks today.
Posted from TSR Mobile

:five: That was a particular medic-Mummy-to-be milestone for me too! :tongue:

We didn't have any books - then about 3 weeks in panic bought Gina Ford, Baby Whisperer, What Mothers Do etc. I do think feeding definitely something to read up on though - I felt woefully underinformed and undersupported (although everyone is very big on BF lipservice - when it comes to practicalities...)! There are some good websites too.

So - our Nursery still isn't sorted - but might have furniture in by the start of April... only 11 months late. :biggrin:
Elles - The best thing you can do is go with your instincts. YOUR baby, YOU know best. You'll get all sorts of conflicting advice from reading books anyway.
Listen to your baby, and take your cues from how well or not so well things seem to be doing.

Whatever you do, unless there's some bloody good reason why you shouldn't be doing it, carry on doing it if it works. If your baby is happy and contented, then don't let some well meaning relative or ignorant health visitor (yes, even health visitors can give stupid advice) tell you otherwise.

That's about it really for that.

Kater - haha oh the over drinking for the scans. I've done that too a few times. Glad everything went well.

randdom - the tiredness only gets worse in the last tri. Rest whilst you can (easier said than done when your body is feeling uncomfortable, I do realise this.) In many ways though, it does get easier when baby comes along. Well it does if you co-sleep anyway (which is an entirely personal choice). I get more sleep now with a baby than I did when I was pregnant.
The nausea has changed a little - I don't feel anywhere near as sick, but I still throw up about the same amount, it just comes very unexpectedly. I've stopped opening the fridge before 1pm because it's brought on sickness a few times! All in all a little better.

That's very cute! Have you got the nursery sorted yet?

I know that feeling a little too well...

I had a scan last weekend - because I was bleeding all week- which said I was 6 weeks 4 days and baby is fine and has a heartbeat :h:

When did you guys 'feel pregnant'? I just get reminded of it at random when I can't eat or my mind wanders into the future and I realise I'll have a baby by next Christmas....

I had a scan last weekend - because I was bleeding all week- which said I was 6 weeks 4 days and baby is fine and has a heartbeat :h:

When did you guys 'feel pregnant'? I just get reminded of it at random when I can't eat or my mind wanders into the future and I realise I'll have a baby by next Christmas....

I've been feeling 'pregnant' since quite early on - I get reasonably bad ligament pains which feel a little like cramps but more generalised. Sometimes I have to put a pillow underneath my lower back in bed for ten minutes to get them to go away, damn pains.

Otherwise - and apart from the morning sickness - I actually don't feel too different. A little more tired, but not quite the exhaustion I was expecting tbh. Though I do now get up three times a night to wee, so that's making tiredness a little worse.
I've been feeling 'pregnant' since quite early on - I get reasonably bad ligament pains which feel a little like cramps but more generalised. Sometimes I have to put a pillow underneath my lower back in bed for ten minutes to get them to go away, damn pains.

Otherwise - and apart from the morning sickness - I actually don't feel too different. A little more tired, but not quite the exhaustion I was expecting tbh. Though I do now get up three times a night to wee, so that's making tiredness a little worse.

I didn't even mean to anonymise this post :facepalm:
Slightly pregnancy related- no not pregnant although had a 'scare' (not really scary as wouldn't be the worst thing in the world) a few weeks ago after having no period for 2 weeks and a deep feeling of nausea and aversion to the smell of fish..then aunt flow arrived late :rolleyes:

However have decided after two years of nursing and not being 100% happy and at a point where I can either progress or not- I'll be applying for midwifery in April for the 18 month course that qualified nurses can do. I spent a week with a community midwife in the local area in January, got to see a few homebirths :smile: Anyway it's all very exciting- will be putting off any baby making plans which we were hoping to start this year or even housebuying for 3 years now so I can get the course finished and settled in my potential new career.

So I'll now be stalking this thread with a professional interest lol

I am glad that the scan went well.

I think I am just starting to "feel pregnant" but still not completely convinced. I spent the first 18 weeks feeling just sick and then after than I just felt tired. I now have a bump and very strong movements which makes it easier to believe but I don't really feel any different.
I didn't even mean to anonymise this post :facepalm:

I'm in pain anyway quite a lot (I'm hypermobile and my hips and lower back hurt a lot of the time...) so although I think my hips are hurting a little bit more I'm assuming that's just because I've been too tired to do my physio as regularly as I should. I can't wait until I see it at 12 weeks, how did it look when you had your 8 week scan?

Original post by Subcutaneous
Slightly pregnancy related- no not pregnant although had a 'scare' (not really scary as wouldn't be the worst thing in the world) a few weeks ago after having no period for 2 weeks and a deep feeling of nausea and aversion to the smell of fish..then aunt flow arrived late :rolleyes:

However have decided after two years of nursing and not being 100% happy and at a point where I can either progress or not- I'll be applying for midwifery in April for the 18 month course that qualified nurses can do. I spent a week with a community midwife in the local area in January, got to see a few homebirths :smile: Anyway it's all very exciting- will be putting off any baby making plans which we were hoping to start this year or even housebuying for 3 years now so I can get the course finished and settled in my potential new career.

So I'll now be stalking this thread with a professional interest lol

Aaaah that explains your Facebook status last week then! Awesome! Good luck with the career change :smile:

Original post by randdom
I am glad that the scan went well.

I think I am just starting to "feel pregnant" but still not completely convinced. I spent the first 18 weeks feeling just sick and then after than I just felt tired. I now have a bump and very strong movements which makes it easier to believe but I don't really feel any different.

I'm looking forward to the bump bit a lot, and when it's actually moving. Have the last few months gone quickly for you?

I'm looking forward to the bump bit a lot, and when it's actually moving. Have the last few months gone quickly for you?

I would love to be able to tell you that they have flown by but to be honest they haven't :frown: however time seems to be speeding up a bit now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in pain anyway quite a lot (I'm hypermobile and my hips and lower back hurt a lot of the time...) so although I think my hips are hurting a little bit more I'm assuming that's just because I've been too tired to do my physio as regularly as I should. I can't wait until I see it at 12 weeks, how did it look when you had your 8 week scan?

Mostly like a fetus but less well defined - a bit more like a little lump. Seeing the heartbeat was cool though; that was very clear!
I am going to lower the tone by asking personal questions.

I am amid a long preg scare made indefinitely worse by google.

How common is the combination of bleeding and negative preg tests at what would be 8 weeks?

Did any of you have neg hpt and period like symptoms. I know tests claim to be 99% a week after a period so if I was that would be in 1% to start with.

Secondly implantation bleeding occurs in 25%-30% of pregnancy so not too common and usually spotting.

My January and Feb were more than this - even if implantation did not occur in time for the period which apparently happens in 10% of cases.

My bleeding is normal for my menustral cycle maybe slightly lighter but that may not be fact but rather overanalysing things. If I was pregnant at this point it would be 'decidual' bleeding which is even less common.

I am stressing about it all. I'm in a LDR so if I was pregnant I'd either be 6months or 2 months - last viable date would have been 29th December because the following was 5th January which would have left a 3day luteal cycle so unlikely to stick. Surely I would know if I was 6 months pregnant (or 2 months).

TLDR: Did any of you ladies have negative hpt and bleeding throughout?

How can I let go?
I am going to lower the tone by asking personal questions.

I am amid a long preg scare made indefinitely worse by google.

How common is the combination of bleeding and negative preg tests at what would be 8 weeks?

Did any of you have neg hpt and period like symptoms. I know tests claim to be 99% a week after a period so if I was that would be in 1% to start with.

Secondly implantation bleeding occurs in 25%-30% of pregnancy so not too common and usually spotting.

My January and Feb were more than this - even if implantation did not occur in time for the period which apparently happens in 10% of cases.

My bleeding is normal for my menustral cycle maybe slightly lighter but that may not be fact but rather overanalysing things. If I was pregnant at this point it would be 'decidual' bleeding which is even less common.

I am stressing about it all. I'm in a LDR so if I was pregnant I'd either be 6months or 2 months - last viable date would have been 29th December because the following was 5th January which would have left a 3day luteal cycle so unlikely to stick. Surely I would know if I was 6 months pregnant (or 2 months).

TLDR: Did any of you ladies have negative hpt and bleeding throughout?

How can I let go?

It really doesn't sound like you are pregnant. Is there anything in particular that is making you worried that you might be? If you are stressed you might find that your periods change. Sitting here at nearly 6 months pregnant I would be extremely surprised if you were and didn't know by 6 months (though I know that it does happen to a very small number of people). With a negative pregnancy test and bleeding I really would be reassured that you aren't.

If you are really struggling to let go you could go to your GP and ask if there is any chance that they could do a blood test, they would probably be very reluctant to.

Congratulations :smile:
Anon 18 - I've never had any bleeding at all during my pregnancies. Not that some people don't, I know some do, but it would be surprising, as randdom says, for you not to realise you weren't pregnant by 6 months!

Quick Reply

Latest