The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Maths A-Level without Additional Maths GCSE?

I'm applying to sixth forms at other schools at the minute (since my school doesn't have one and I leave this year) and have recently found out that Additional Maths FSMQ is studied along side Maths GCSE at most other schools in my area. This isn't offered at my school, and I understand that this covers a lot of C1 and C2 for Maths A-Level. I'm just wondering if I'll struggle with studying Maths and Further Maths next year, with people who've come across a lot of the topics before.
If so, is there anything anyone can recommend for self-studying before next year? A couple of the schools I'm applying to are pretty prestigious, and I don't want to get left behind.
TL;DR: Will I be at a disadvantage at A-Level if I haven't done Add. Maths FSMQ against people who have, and if so how can I change that?
Thank you for your replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

No, you will be fine, even though with FSMQ, it gives a good advantage.
Original post by yl95
No, you will be fine, even though with FSMQ, it gives a good advantage.

Thank you! I'm fairly competent at maths, I'm just concerned there will be a lot of people with more experience than me :/
Reply 3
As long as you use your summer productively to cover C1 and C2 (shouldn't take more than a few weeks) then you should be fine.

Our year 12 further maths group covered AS maths in 1-2 months, so it is going to be very tough for many people. Just get ahead of the game while you have exam leave and when you come back, it's a matter of revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
As long as you use your summer productively to cover C1 and C2 (shouldn't take more than a few weeks) then you should be fine.

Our year 12 further maths group covered AS maths in 1-2 months, so it is going to be very tough for many people. Just get ahead of the game while you have exam leave and when you come back, it's a matter of revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: are there any good sites or books you/anyone would recommend?
I didnt do add. And did AS maths last year getting 98%. Ive picked up AS FM this year and its not too difficult so de.

Posted from TSR Mobile
examsolutions all the way, google it.

I didn't understand maths until A2, I got an A at GCSE, but a D at AS level.

If I revised in the Summer before AS levels I would have probably gotten an A or B
Reply 7
I didn't do additional maths GCSE and it didn't hinder me at all. I'm sure if you put the work into C1 and C2 it won't matter
Original post by kiirankapoor
I didnt do add. And did AS maths last year getting 98%. Ive picked up AS FM this year and its not too difficult so de.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, this makes me feel a lot better :smile:

Original post by Lord Frieza
examsolutions all the way, google it.

I didn't understand maths until A2, I got an A at GCSE, but a D at AS level.

If I revised in the Summer before AS levels I would have probably gotten an A or B

that site looks brilliant, thank you! i'm targeted an A* at gcse but most people I know in the years above who did maths have failed at AS, or given up, so I don't want to start at a disadvantage :biggrin: I'll try to revise after exams end.
Reply 9
Top Book : Core Maths by Bostock & Chandler.
Original post by jennywasteslives
thanks, this makes me feel a lot better :smile:

that site looks brilliant, thank you! i'm targeted an A* at gcse but most people I know in the years above who did maths have failed at AS, or given up, so I don't want to start at a disadvantage :biggrin: I'll try to revise after exams end.

That's brilliant, the problem is, not getting an A* in GCSE just shows that there are gaps in your knowledge (which may slap you in the face in the future like it did to me). So I would aim to get A* in maths GCSE.

Another tip, once you 'grasp' maths and start to understand concepts first hand and quickly, you'll be one of those type of people that can EASILY get an A* in maths in the end.
But of course, you must put the work in from the beginning.
:smile: good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Old_Simon

This + their Further Pure Mathematics book for FM. Some of the questions are far harder than those in the exams but it will make your exams feel like a breeze if you can go through these books.

BTW I didn't do Additional Maths at GCSE and got 99% in my A Level Maths and am on track for an A* in FM. If you're good at maths it's not going to hold you back.
That's brilliant, the problem is, not getting an A* in GCSE just shows that there are gaps in your knowledge (which may slap you in the face in the future like it did to me). So I would aim to get A* in maths GCSE.

Another tip, once you 'grasp' maths and start to understand concepts first hand and quickly, you'll be one of those type of people that can EASILY get an A* in maths in the end.
But of course, you must put the work in from the beginning.
:smile: good luck!

obviously there are some gaps, but I'm working on them (it helps that my maths teacher is amazing) and I'd be pretty mad tbh if I didn't get an A* at GCSE (not to be arrogant, but I got 193/200 on the last mocks so it would have to be a pretty hard exam). Still, I know I shouldn't get complacent and I'm at a pretty small school at the minute, you know? Like, best in a year group of 100 people isn't the same as at a school with 1000 people :biggrin: Thank you for the help!! :smile:
obviously there are some gaps, but I'm working on them (it helps that my maths teacher is amazing) and I'd be pretty mad tbh if I didn't get an A* at GCSE (not to be arrogant, but I got 193/200 on the last mocks so it would have to be a pretty hard exam). Still, I know I shouldn't get complacent and I'm at a pretty small school at the minute, you know? Like, best in a year group of 100 people isn't the same as at a school with 1000 people :biggrin: Thank you for the help!! :smile:

Good job :biggrin:

Just outta' curiosity, will you be staying the same school or moving to a different one (hate myself for moving lol)
Reply 14
It's perfectly possible to get a good grade in A-level Maths/Further Maths without Additional Maths GCSE.
Original post by Old_Simon

Original post by alow
This + their Further Pure Mathematics book for FM. Some of the questions are far harder than those in the exams but it will make your exams feel like a breeze if you can go through these books.

BTW I didn't do Additional Maths at GCSE and got 99% in my A Level Maths and am on track for an A* in FM. If you're good at maths it's not going to hold you back.

I'll try and pick these up! Had a look on some previews and they look brilliant :smile: Thank you! Everyone seems to have done okay without it, maybe it's just the sixth forms worrying me :P
Reply 16
I'll try and pick these up! Had a look on some previews and they look brilliant :smile: Thank you! Everyone seems to have done okay without it, maybe it's just the sixth forms worrying me :P

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of GCSE Additional Maths until about a month ago :lol:

Definitely get the books if you can, I'm using the Further Pure one right now to go over polar coordinates and it explains things so much more clearly than my abysmal OCR textbook.

Core Maths into the Third Edition now but Second Edition still on sale. Get the new one.
Good job :biggrin:

Just outta' curiosity, will you be staying the same school or moving to a different one (hate myself for moving lol)

Thanks ^-^ I can't stay at my school, we don't have a sixth form! All the other schools near me do the FSMQ, which is why I was so worried, that I was going to a new school and would be immediately behind :P
You can get on top of the first modules over the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest