The Student Room Group

Footballers you cant stand?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
sigh. Heard there was some nonsense about that, thought Spurs fans themselves had come out and said its not an offensive term?

Anyone who thinks that an Arsenal fan calling a Spurs fan a 'Yid' is making some kind of anti-semetic rant is out of their mind imo.

Yeah they did lol but the organisations still think it's anti-semetic :rolleyes:
Original post by FKLW
Yeah I know, I added the kidding comment as you were quoting me :tongue: I was more attacking all the butt-hurt authorities who brand everything 'racism' or unequal. It ****** me off. Aren't you part foreign anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dutch mother...

Actually speaking of that, Ajax are a club with historical Jewish links as well and Ive been to Ajax games where opposition fans have chanted about ''de joden'' as Ajax are sometimes called. Never once thought someone was directing anti-semetic abuse in my direction. It's pretty clear when someone is being actually anti-semetic tbh.
Original post by The Assassin
Yeah they did lol but the organisations still think it's anti-semetic :rolleyes:

ah well fair enough, world is gradually losing its common sense.

Even Jewish Arsenal fans call non-jewish Spurs fans yids. Makes absolutely no sense. How are you supposed to abuse Spurs fans then? ''**** off you lillywhites''? :rolleyes:
Reply 63
There are players who care too much about their image. I think this is especially true of young players and I think it's the effect of constant social media exposure. Older players who had time to mature before social media really kicked in generally seem more comfortable in their own skin (e.g. Rosicky, Flamini, Mertesacker, hell even Bendtner). To me that makes those players more likable. Of course there also are older players who seem desperate about their image - you can see this in how they interact with the media. I think those are mostly English players (Gerrard, Barton, Terry, Ferdinand) - perhaps because they have learned to fear the English press or something, I don't know. Anyway it's something that puts me off.

One problem of all this is that someone who is trying not to be himself (to project a certain image) is generally not a very good leader of others because he's too scared to stand out in the wrong way.
Reply 64
David Luiz. His hair makes me want to punch a baby seal to death.
Reply 65
Original post by Peggles_*
He's too much of a hot head though, passion and fight is well and good, but with Jack I just feel like he's always a red card waiting to happen.

This + I sometimes feel like he's just doing it to stand out (i.e. because he likes to hear everyone comment on how much "passion" he has). I'm hopefully wrong though because that would just be really dumb. Regardless, he seems to like his own image a bit too much. Can't blame him though given how the English press love to build up youngsters. In contrast, Flamini has "fight and passion" too but more class than Jack or at least seems more authentic in a way.
Reply 66
Original post by Zürich
Dutch mother...

Actually speaking of that, Ajax are a club with historical Jewish links as well and Ive been to Ajax games where opposition fans have chanted about ''de joden'' as Ajax are sometimes called. Never once thought someone was directing anti-semetic abuse in my direction. It's pretty clear when someone is being actually anti-semetic tbh.

Is berkgamp your favourite arsenal player then? :holmes:

Exactly man, there's too much PC bull nowadays that's ruining banter inside football. Obviously some things are not on (openly being racist/anti-Semitic/homophobic) but considering spurs fans call themselves 'yid army' it's obviously not. lol the amount of times people try and display PC around me in case their being racist is unreal, it makes me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
anyone that dives, which is quite a few sadly :tongue: or talented people that don't make the most of their skills.
Original post by FKLW
Is berkgamp your favourite arsenal player then? :holmes:

Exactly man, there's too much PC bull nowadays that's ruining banter inside football. Obviously some things are not on (openly being racist/anti-Semitic/homophobic) but considering spurs fans call themselves 'yid army' it's obviously not. lol the amount of times people try and display PC around me in case their being racist is unreal, it makes me laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either him or Overmars. :coma: Actually met Bergkamp once briefly outside Highbury when I was about 9 and he's actually a very funny guy. When he realised I spoke Dutch he gave a little running commentary to me on the guys he was signing autographs for. He was like ''can you smell this guy's breath man?'' Nice guy :moon:

You know racism when you see it, pointless for busybodies to try and legislate like that.
Reply 69
Original post by Zürich
Either him or Overmars. :coma: Actually met Bergkamp once briefly outside Highbury when I was about 9 and he's actually a very funny guy. When he realised I spoke Dutch he gave a little running commentary to me on the guys he was signing autographs for. He was like ''can you smell this guy's breath man?'' Nice guy :moon:

You know racism when you see it, pointless for busybodies to try and legislate like that.

Wow really? That's actually an amazing anecdote, would be so cool to meet your hero man :colondollar:.
Reply 70
Raheem Sterling. Disgusting woman beater. The Chris Brown of football.
Original post by FKLW
Wow really? That's actually an amazing anecdote, would be so cool to meet your hero man :colondollar:.

Highbury was very easy to meet players as they literally had to walk out the front door onto the street to get onto the coach.

Not always that great tho, remember once after a Leeds game, Mark Viduka came over to me(without me making any attempt to attract him) and signed my programme. I was just like

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Zürich
Highbury was very easy to meet players as they literally had to walk out the front door onto the street to get onto the coach.

Not always that great tho, remember once after a Leeds game, Mark Viduka came over to me(without me making any attempt to attract him) and signed my programme. I was just like

Hahaha, what a beg :tongue: Viduka was probably slightly before my time tbh but from what I've seen was quality.

Fair enough then... Did you ever meet Henry? :drool: the only united footballer I've met is Vidic, got a pic with him on the evening we won the title in 2011 :cool: heroes aren't always what they're hyped up though tbh, remember finally meeting Afridi and he was a massive let down :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frimpong - Famous for his twitter career instead of his ability.

Wilshere - Pipe down shortarse.

Dennis Wise - Eww.

John Terry - Utter cock

Rio Ferdinand - Thick Chav.

Januzaj - Nothing against the lad, but I'm sick of constantly hearing about him.

Patrice Evra - Annoying.
Original post by FKLW
Hahaha, what a beg :tongue: Viduka was probably slightly before my time tbh but from what I've seen was quality.

Fair enough then... Did you ever meet Henry? :drool: the only united footballer I've met is Vidic, got a pic with him on the evening we won the title in 2011 :cool: heroes aren't always what they're hyped up though tbh, remember finally meeting Afridi and he was a massive let down :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah never even close, another cool guy though Id say :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Zürich
Nah never even close, another cool guy though Id say :smile:

Him and bergkamp are the 2 arsenal players i'd want tbh, although I've never really understood the idea of refusing a pic with an opposition team player if you saw them (unless for certain circumstances eg I wouldn't with Tevez and you wouldn't with RVP) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by FKLW
DA*** is wrong with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite common sentiment outside of England actually, although he tends to get romanticised among PL-followers :erm: Don't like his demeanour, also think his play has gotten a little one-dimensional since playing in la liga, compared with how he used to play for United that is. Liked him more back then, was way more exciting to watch.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by qua
Quite common sentiment outside of England actually, although he tends to get romanticised among PL-followers :erm: Don't like his demeanour, also think his play has gotten a little one-dimensional since playing in la liga, compared with how he used to play for United that is. Liked him more back then, was way more exciting to watch.

He's still a united legend to me :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Arjen Robben. First of all his look and cocky smiles irritates me soo bad. And as BVB fan, I cant stand him being in Bayern and scoring the winning goal in last year CL final
Wilshere, don't know who he thinks he is. Wasteman. Same goes for Evra, Dembele and Van Persie.

Chico Flores recently, man up.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest