The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yzhang
Me too!! Have you heard anything from LSE

they've given me a 7 week deadline. By the way, may I ask your grades and what emails they have sent you
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by crazycodmonkey
Wow! You live in such a cool place :smile: Do you take the IB Diploma programme or are you doing A-levels? (IB for me..:eek: :P ) I think I'll have to stop waking up at 4am every morning (even though this doesn't make any sense as i'm GMT+8) to check my email and just focus on getting good grades now .. LSE is slowly killing me. lol

I do A-Levels :smile: tell me about it... My work ethic is slowly declining :s-smilie:
Original post by Theacademic
I live in Abu Dhabi! I've applied for Economics and Economic History :smile: yeah it's a weird situation to explain hahah

I didn't realise I was talking to someone so close to home - what a coincidence! Where else have you applied?
Original post by Theacademic
I do A-Levels :smile: tell me about it... My work ethic is slowly declining :s-smilie:

Which school do you go to?
Original post by zendesk
Actually, they couldn't care less whatever other offers you have had - only the Admissions Assessor reads emails sent to [email protected], and non-UCAS information is strictly not considered by the Admissions Selector in making decisions about who to admit.

Since you have an Oxford offer, then go ahead and firm it with insurance being one of your other offers, you expecting LSE to send you an offer/decision according to your whim and fancy just because you have received all other decisions is tbh selfish. If you can't wait, don't and withdraw from your choice so someone else who is waiting on LSE for their firm can be considered for the place. I also don't get the point of waiting for an insurance from a uni with the same conditional offer as your firm.

Peace.

Original post by ilovefoodandmore
I RATE YOU zendesk. We all go through this, Caesar95, all of us got 4/5 replies so far. It's LSE we're talking about, they get 19,000 applications, do you want them to fully consider your application and give you an appropriate answer or do you want to be rejected sooner? Just because you email them and say 'yo i got my other offers so far, hurry up with the reply' doesn't mean they'll as much as CARE. you probably sounded so irritating to them, I hope it were the Selector who read your email, so you can free up a space for someone more sensible.

The point I was trying to make is that they stated deadlines they themselves didn't respect; that's unfair. Oxford said we would get an answer on the 8th, we got an answer on the 8th.

I don't expect anything from them. At this point of the game, I just want to know if I would get an offer from them or not. That's it.

Sorry if I offended any of you.

P.S. If they had given me a decision earlier, I would probably have considered them along the others. That was the point in waiting for them, but now it's got late. I don't want to go somewhere where they weren't that sure about me and, above all, they didn't consider "rigorous" my academic formation. I'm Italian, and we are second to none as far as our high school system is concerned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arminb
IR is the most competitive course at LSE, even more competitive than economics. You'd expect lots to be rejected.

Econ history and Econ looks insanely competitive too!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5186
Original post by #Unknown
they've given me a 7 week deadline. By the way, may I ask your grades and what emails they have sent you

Of course you can. :smile:) I was not very good last year, so I got AAB for AS levels. For my predicted grades, they are A*A*A. And LSE has sent me '2 weeks' letter, then '7 weeks' letter ( including Xmas holiday...). Actually, I should have heard from LSE yesterday, but I didn't recieve anything.... Wondering if you could tell me your grades as well? :smile:
Original post by Caesar95
The point I was trying to make is that they stated deadlines they themselves didn't respect; that's unfair. Oxford said we would get an answer on the 8th, we got an answer on the 8th.

I don't expect anything from them. At this point of the game, I just want to know if I would get an offer from them or not. That's it.

P.S. If they had given me a decision earlier, I would probably have considered them along the others. That was the point in waiting for them, but now it's got late. I don't want to go somewhere where they weren't that sure about me and, above all, they didn't consider "rigorous" my academic formation. I'm Italian, and we are second to none as far as our high school system is concerned.

LOL don't you think your last sentence was rather arrogant? I'm 100% sure the Italian educational system is not the best one in the world. Just look at your economic state, where would you get the funding from? And I have friends in Italy whom have told me about the corruption of teachers/headmasters. Oh and btw, since Italian educational system is so advanced, "second to none" it should have educated your former Prime Minister, Berlusconi, not to be a pedophile.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5188
LOL don't you think your last sentence was rather arrogant? I'm 100% sure the Italian educational system is not the best one in the world. Just look at your economic state, where would you get the funding from? And I have friends in Italy whom have told me about the corruption of teachers/headmasters. Oh and btw, since Italian educational system is so advanced, "second to none" it should have educated your former Prime Minister, Berlusconi, not to be a pedophile.

what the matter with you:s-smilie: relax man.
Reply 5189

Regarding your last statement, you obviously haven't heard of the Singapore education system. Singapore is second and third in all three measures of Maths, Reading and Science in the PISA 2012 assessment - Italy is merely average in the overall ranking and loses out to Singapore in every possible measure and benchmark of academic performance that the OECD bases it's results on.

Source: http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/pisa-2012-results.htm

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but please do verify before stating something as fact. This shall be my last post here.

Peace.

Original post by zendesk
Regarding your last statement, you obviously haven't heard of the Singapore education system. Singapore is second and third in all three measures of Maths, Reading and Science in the PISA 2012 assessment - Italy is merely average in the overall ranking and loses out to Singapore in every possible measure and benchmark of academic performance that the OECD bases it's results on.

Source: http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/pisa-2012-results.htm

I'm not trying to be a prick here, but please do verify before stating something as fact. This shall be my last post here.

Peace.

I am glad I was able to utterly clarify what I meant about LSE being "unfair". I assume the fact you didn't add anything to that point means you understand (though probably not share) my view.

I guess that saying "second to none" in English is kind of a rhetoric way to say "very good", and it's quite different from "the best". Anyway, this shall be my last post on this issue, so here follow my ramblings, if anyone is interested.

1- Regarding the Italian economic state, corruption and Berlusconi.

I have the impression that bad financial choices and corruption are not (only?) related to the education received at school/university. It seems like we should watch out for bankers rather than for blue collars.
Berlusconi is someone to be ashamed of. Did you watch "Judgement at Nuremberg"? In times of crisis, people often put their hopes on foolish demagogues, i.e. Hitler.

2- The PISA assessment

This attitude of "quantifying culture" is to my mind one of the evils of our western society. It comes to mind the headmaster of the "History Boys".

We have been governed by criminals, chose the wrong side in the WW2, cannot look after our richness and seem to have given up on our ancient thoughts of greatness. That's undeniable.
But in Italy we had a complex civilization with the Romans when most of Europe was inhabited by barbarians. We had the Renaissance, and most of the global artistic heritage is in Italy, while a big part of what is not in Italy is still Italian. We have one of the greatest cuisines in the world and an amazing literature. T.S. Eliot defined Dante's "Divine Comedy" as the last miracle of Western literature.

I should add that ending your posts with "peace" is incredibly offensive to me. I am perfectly able to discuss calmly. Thank you.
I am glad I was able to utterly clarify what I meant about LSE being "unfair". I assume the fact you didn't add anything to that point means you understand (though probably not share) my view.

I guess that saying "second to none" in English is kind of a rhetoric way to say "very good", and it's quite different from "the best". Anyway, this shall be my last post on this issue, so here follow my ramblings, if anyone is interested.

I have the impression that bad financial choices and corruption are not (only?) related to the education received at school/university. It seems like we should watch out for bankers rather than for blue collars.
Berlusconi is someone to be ashamed of. Did you watch "Judgement at Nuremberg"? In times of crisis, people often put their hopes on foolish demagogues, i.e. Hitler.

2- The PISA assessment

This attitude of "quantifying culture" is to my mind one of the evils of our western society. It comes to mind the headmaster of the "History Boys".

We have been governed by criminals, chose the wrong side in the WW2, cannot look after our richness and seem to have given up on our ancient thoughts of greatness. That's undeniable.
But in Italy we had a complex civilization with the Romans when most of Europe was inhabited by barbarians. We had the Renaissance, and most of the global artistic heritage is in Italy, while a big part of what is not in Italy is still Italian. We have one of the greatest cuisines in the world and an amazing literature. T.S. Eliot defined Dante's "Divine Comedy" as the last miracle of Western literature.

I should add that ending your posts with "peace" is incredibly offensive to me. I am perfectly able to discuss calmly. Thank you.

HEY! Remember me? I mentioned a few months ago I met you at Worcester College? I thought you were ABSOLUTEY lovely! Right now, you are seriously not doing yourself any favours! Please everyone (including you) calm down. We are tense, we are all waiting for important decisions in our life. I think coming on here at throwing sparks will only lead to flames.

No matter which country, which education system, which dodgy politicians or whatever we are all amazing people, with individual talents and ultimately we are all clever as hell. So let's act like the intelligent people we all truly are and diffuse the tension here.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST LOVE EACH OTHER AND BE HAPPY

Look the LSE crest is a beaver. Lol.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391947464.941523.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessBlessing
HEY! Remember me? I mentioned a few months ago I met you at Worcester College? I thought you were ABSOLUTEY lovely! Right now, you are seriously not doing yourself any favours! Please everyone (including you) calm down. We are tense, we are all waiting for important decisions in our life. I think coming on here at throwing sparks will only lead to flames.

No matter which country, which education system, which dodgy politicians or whatever we are all amazing people, with individual talents and ultimately we are all clever as hell. So let's act like the intelligent people we all truly are and diffuse the tension here.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST LOVE EACH OTHER AND BE HAPPY

Look the LSE crest is a beaver. Lol.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1391947464.941523.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile:

Did you get into Worcester at the end? I hope to see you there :smile:

I know the atmosphere is tense, and I apologize if I made it even worse. However, I believe I kept calm and simply expressed my ideas. The argument has anyway ended :wink:

2- The PISA assessment

Look, I was born in Italy and have both close cousins and half siblings there. I love the place a lot more than I love England - it undoubtedly has the best fashion designers, cuisine and furniture and apartment designs. I agree that the lifestyle in continental Western Europe is far more relaxed and enjoyable than for example in the UK. Nevertheless, you cannot claim that Italy has got a lot good going on in socioeconomic terms. Because if it did you, me and everyone else who knows how freaking amazing the place is would be lining up to go study there and look at job prospects there.

In regards to the school system being second to none, just because it is rigorous doesn't mean that it's actually productive and good. Having to go to school on a Saturday, getting insane amounts of homework and barely any holidays throughout the year does mean that you study A LOT. But it doesn't mean that you learn a lot. My little cousin spent his whole christmas holidays translating Latin - what in the world good will that do him? Whereas a kid from England was probably developing his communication and thinking skills in some way.

Therefore I wouldn't make those sweeping statements when/if you come and study here.

And in regards to LSE, yeah it was bad for them to set deadlines and not stick to them but they get like 20 000 applications each year - if they haven't replied to yours yet it's probably because it's in the piles waiting to be considered further. Again, if you're gonna come to university here you'll have to deal with that kind of crap regularly too.
Reply 5194
You have all got to chillax.

Can I just say that I love the beaver mascot lol.
Reply 5195
Original post by Alwaysannoyed
Look, I was born in Italy and have both close cousins and half siblings there. I love the place a lot more than I love England - it undoubtedly has the best fashion designers, cuisine and furniture and apartment designs. I agree that the lifestyle in continental Western Europe is far more relaxed and enjoyable than for example in the UK. Nevertheless, you cannot claim that Italy has got a lot good going on in socioeconomic terms. Because if it did you, me and everyone else who knows how freaking amazing the place is would be lining up to go study there and look at job prospects there.

In regards to the school system being second to none, just because it is rigorous doesn't mean that it's actually productive and good. Having to go to school on a Saturday, getting insane amounts of homework and barely any holidays throughout the year does mean that you study A LOT. But it doesn't mean that you learn a lot. My little cousin spent his whole christmas holidays translating Latin - what in the world good will that do him? Whereas a kid from England was probably developing his communication and thinking skills in some way.

Therefore I wouldn't make those sweeping statements when/if you come and study here.

And in regards to LSE, yeah it was bad for them to set deadlines and not stick to them but they get like 20 000 applications each year - if they haven't replied to yours yet it's probably because it's in the piles waiting to be considered further. Again, if you're gonna come to university here you'll have to deal with that kind of crap regularly too.

LSE only accepts IB and A level, not even the american qualifications. I am not so sure whether its much about the quality of education.
But i do really think that guy should withdraw his application when he is not going to firm it. Its a bit selfish. He just wants to brag about having all 5 offers but if he withdrew from 1 another guy who really beeds it can get in. Besides they never really set deadline they say we try to respond within 4 weeks and thats not a dealine.
Hey :smile:

Did you get into Worcester at the end? I hope to see you there :smile:

I know the atmosphere is tense, and I apologize if I made it even worse. However, I believe I kept calm and simply expressed my ideas. The argument has anyway ended :wink:

Oh I didn't get in the end! But I'm so cool about it, I was narrowed down to 1 of 4 for His Pol interviews so yay me! :smile:
Congratulations on your offer my dear, I hope you have fun no matter where you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessBlessing
Oh I didn't get in the end! But I'm so cool about it, I was narrowed down to 1 of 4 for His Pol interviews so yay me! :smile:
Congratulations on your offer my dear, I hope you have fun no matter where you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry to hear this :frown:

Thank you! I'm sure you'll shine wherever you go :wink:
Reply 5198
Original post by arminb
LSE only accepts IB and A level, not even the american qualifications. I am not so sure whether its much about the quality of education.
But i do really think that guy should withdraw his application when he is not going to firm it. Its a bit selfish. He just wants to brag about having all 5 offers but if he withdrew from 1 another guy who really beeds it can get in. Besides they never really set deadline they say we try to respond within 4 weeks and thats not a dealine.

What do you mean by saying that LSE does not accept other qualifications than IB or A levels. Of course they do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Got rejected from LSE for Law on Friday, I'm a bit annoyed I had to wait so long for it but they weren't my first choice (I have offers from UCL and Cambridge) so not too gutted. Good luck to the rest of you!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending