The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Language and Literature Coursework

Hi guys,
I created this forum because there doesn't seem to be much on TSR associated with Edexcel AS and A2 English lang and lit specifically.
The most popular topic for the AS coursework tends to be the 'Gothic and Supernatural' , while at A2 it is 'Caught in the Dilemma of Duty'.
I am struggling to find anything on the Bloody Chamber online in terms on linguistics- help?
Also what are the typical linguistic genre conventions of the Gothic?
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do Lit and Lang but I'm not doing the same topics as you.
For coursework our theme is currently 'Crossing Boundaries'

The only thing I can think of suggesting is the book designed for the course
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-English-Language-Literature-Student/dp/1846902460/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391872924&sr=8-2&keywords=a+level+edexcel+english+literature+and+language
There's an AS version as well. You can most probably find it in the library.
Original post by corax
I do Lit and Lang but I'm not doing the same topics as you.
For coursework our theme is currently 'Crossing Boundaries'

The only thing I can think of suggesting is the book designed for the course
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-English-Language-Literature-Student/dp/1846902460/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391872924&sr=8-2&keywords=a+level+edexcel+english+literature+and+language
There's an AS version as well. You can most probably find it in the library.

Thank you for your suggestion :smile:
Do you own a copy? How useful do you find it.
At my college we are not taught how to approach the coursework at all, we are just told when the deadline is.
What would you consider to be the utmost important when approaching both AS and A2 Coursework ?
Reply 3
Original post by CrazyBookLover
Thank you for your suggestion :smile:
Do you own a copy? How useful do you find it.
At my college we are not taught how to approach the coursework at all, we are just told when the deadline is.
What would you consider to be the utmost important when approaching both AS and A2 Coursework ?

I don't have it but our teacher gives us work from the book occasionally on unseen texts. I'll probably get a copy when I start revising for exams this summer.
Are you doing both AS and A2 in one year?

That's odd, we're told how to approach ours and my teacher gives us advice/help. I presume that despite you doing a different question it'll be the same sort of process..

For both pieces of A2 coursework I have a main stimulus text and then we find our own wider reading which we're supposed to take inspiration from and refer back to in our commentary.
Depending on what coursework it is your doing (article, script, etc) it's important to use appropriate literary and linguistic techniques. We have to refer back to our stimulus text and wider reading and 'emulate' techniques from it in commentary. So I recently did an article and I've just started writing my commentary for it and my other piece. I've started writing about how I've used similar sentence structures and metaphors. I'm also addressing how it links to the theme.

I did a similar thing at AS.

I hope that helps a little, have you spoken to others in your class about what they've done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
I don't have it but our teacher gives us work from the book occasionally on unseen texts. I'll probably get a copy when I start revising for exams this summer.
Are you doing both AS and A2 in one year?

That's odd, we're told how to approach ours and my teacher gives us advice/help. I presume that despite you doing a different question it'll be the same sort of process..

For both pieces of A2 coursework I have a main stimulus text and then we find our own wider reading which we're supposed to take inspiration from and refer back to in our commentary.
Depending on what coursework it is your doing (article, script, etc) it's important to use appropriate literary and linguistic techniques. We have to refer back to our stimulus text and wider reading and 'emulate' techniques from it in commentary. So I recently did an article and I've just started writing my commentary for it and my other piece. I've started writing about how I've used similar sentence structures and metaphors. I'm also addressing how it links to the theme.

I did a similar thing at AS.

I hope that helps a little, have you spoken to others in your class about what they've done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am redoing AS coursework this year.
Our teachers just say 'the fiction piece is due in ***' and thats it
limited feedback so there is nothing to go by either.
I am doing an article too, but my first draft seemed like a wikipedia article tbh...too generic :frown:
What did you get for your AS piece?
Reply 5
I am redoing AS coursework this year.
Our teachers just say 'the fiction piece is due in ***' and thats it
limited feedback so there is nothing to go by either.
I am doing an article too, but my first draft seemed like a wikipedia article tbh...too generic :frown:
What did you get for your AS piece?

I got an A :smile: Hopefully I'll get an A for my A2 coursework as well, annoyingly she never tells us what grade our work is on
She sounds like a rubbish teacher to be fair! Are there any other English teachers you could ask?
Original post by corax
I got an A :smile: Hopefully I'll get an A for my A2 coursework as well, annoyingly she never tells us what grade our work is on
She sounds like a rubbish teacher to be fair! Are there any other English teachers you could ask?

Well done!
Did you do the Gothic and Supernatural?
Lool ours hardly gives us feedback, never mind the mark.
No. Shes the only one. :frown:
By the way, for the exam what topic are you studying? Im doing the individual in society- othello and equus.
Reply 7
Well done!
Did you do the Gothic and Supernatural?
Lool ours hardly gives us feedback, never mind the mark.
No. Shes the only one. :frown:
By the way, for the exam what topic are you studying? Im doing the individual in society- othello and equus.

No my theme for AS coursework was Entrapment
The exam we're doing family relationships, studying Ally My Sons and A Doll's House.
Aha looks like we've been doing completely different topic aha!
LOOOL facepalm, FATE has taken me away from my only english study buddy
How far the course are you?
Original post by corax
No my theme for AS coursework was Entrapment
The exam we're doing family relationships, studying Ally My Sons and A Doll's House.
Aha looks like we've been doing completely different topic aha!
[INDENT]LOOOL facepalm, FATE has taken me away from my only english study buddy
How far the course are you?[/INDENT]

Reply 10
I am also currently studying English language and lit. And I am starting now with A2 coursework...but I am completly lost in what I should write about. I have no clue what topic I should do :frown: Have you decided on what you want to write about?

btw I am also doing Family relationships, and I have finished all the work on All my sons and A Dolls house....
Reply 11
We've finished doing A Doll's House and have now just finished Act 1 of All My Sons. I guess I'm a bit behind but we've been doing the coursework alongside it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by corax
We've finished doing A Doll's House and have now just finished Act 1 of All My Sons. I guess I'm a bit behind but we've been doing the coursework alongside it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of preparation are you doing for the coursework? Could you please help me cause I have no idea of what to do (I am doing distance learning so I don't get any help from teachers) I could help you with All my sons if you have questions...I got an A on the assignment for the texts.
Reply 13
Original post by MagaliMcp
What kind of preparation are you doing for the coursework? Could you please help me cause I have no idea of what to do (I am doing distance learning so I don't get any help from teachers) I could help you with All my sons if you have questions...I got an A on the assignment for the texts.

I've finished the coursework now and I'm doing the commentary.

I wouldn't say I did any preparation really apart from analysing and reading parts of our stimulus text. Have you been given a main stimulus text (book) to get inspiration from?
Reply 14
Original post by corax
I've finished the coursework now and I'm doing the commentary.

I wouldn't say I did any preparation really apart from analysing and reading parts of our stimulus text. Have you been given a main stimulus text (book) to get inspiration from?

Ummm nope I was not...all I have is the information that I have to write a literary piece, a non-fiction piece and commentary. i have a free choice of what I want to read to get inspired :/ I have recently read "The Help" by Katherine Stockett which is about the life of black maids in America during the Civil rights movement and I was thinking of writting something with that inspiration.

What did you write about?
Reply 15
Original post by MagaliMcp
Ummm nope I was not...all I have is the information that I have to write a literary piece, a non-fiction piece and commentary. i have a free choice of what I want to read to get inspired :/ I have recently read "The Help" by Katherine Stockett which is about the life of black maids in America during the Civil rights movement and I was thinking of writting something with that inspiration.

What did you write about?

Sounds like a good idea :smile: I like the film of that.

An article on welfare and a script on a dysfunctional relationship. Our teacher chose Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara for our main stimulus text and then we had to find wider reading. So I read articles in Newspapers and on the internet to do with welfare, which also linked to Motorcycle Diaries.

I didn't realise that our literary piece was supposed to relate to our main stimulus text too because our teacher was giving us examples of work which didn't seem to relate to it the Motorcycle Diaries at all. So I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get that to fit together but there is some relationship scenes in the book so I'll manage somehow.
Original post by corax
Sounds like a good idea :smile: I like the film of that.

An article on welfare and a script on a dysfunctional relationship. Our teacher chose Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara for our main stimulus text and then we had to find wider reading. So I read articles in Newspapers and on the internet to do with welfare, which also linked to Motorcycle Diaries.

I didn't realise that our literary piece was supposed to relate to our main stimulus text too because our teacher was giving us examples of work which didn't seem to relate to it the Motorcycle Diaries at all. So I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get that to fit together but there is some relationship scenes in the book so I'll manage somehow.

Sounds really good
has your teacher marked it?
I cant believe your courseworks finished, I am in the drafting process!
Reply 17
Sounds really good
has your teacher marked it?
I cant believe your courseworks finished, I am in the drafting process!

Aha! and not properly, I'm sure she has an idea about what mark they're on though.
I can't remember whether we find out our coursework marks before the exam, I hope we do!
Original post by corax
Aha! and not properly, I'm sure she has an idea about what mark they're on though.
I can't remember whether we find out our coursework marks before the exam, I hope we do!

The coursework gets internally moderated and then sent to the examiner. You might know what mark your teacher has given you but this may go up or down with external moderation- final marks confirmed on results day
Reply 19
Hi people,im doing A level english literature,and im confused is the coursework topic for both as and a2 provided to us or do we just randomly do it on any topic (mentioned in specification ofcourse)

Quick Reply

Latest