The Student Room Group

Latin AS results, what did people get?

Hi everyone, hope you all got all the results you were hoping for!
I just got back from holiday haha so posting this a while after results, I got mine via email most nerve-wracking experience waiting for it to come through!

I got an A at AS and did better in lang than lit, how about you guys? Did you get what you wanted, and I was wondering if the general consensus was that people found lang harder or lit?

Would be great to hear from people, and talk to people planning on taking latin to A2 :smile:
78 in lit, 79 in lang

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A, 99 in Language and 98 in Literature. I knew I'd done well in the Language paper, but I was a tad surprised to get such a high mark in the lit paper - must have written some good stuff :smile: I'm applying for Classics, though, so I was delighted with the result as I think it definitely strengthens my application.

Has anybody else started the A2 literature yet? I'm halfway through the Virgil, and I've really enjoyed it so far. Definitely better than the Ovid last year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Darth_Newdar
Has anybody else started the A2 literature yet? I'm halfway through the Virgil, and I've really enjoyed it so far. Definitely better than the Ovid last year.

no crap should I have started it!? I haven't done any work over the summer except to work on some FP1 just to keep it up to standard, ah man
Original post by avoxgirl
no crap should I have started it!? I haven't done any work over the summer except to work on some FP1 just to keep it up to standard, ah man

No, it's fine :smile: I'm doing Latin with a tutor outside school - because they don't offer Latin - so we wanted to use the summer to get some lit done, because I only have an hour's tuition per week. But don't worry, I know somebody who's going to Oxford this year to read Classics, and at his grammar school they only started the Virgil in January. He got an A* in Latin, so it didn't do him any harm!
78/0100(b) in Latin Language
84/0100(a) in Latin Verse and Prose
An A (162) overall. I didn't even finish the last 10 marker on the lit. paper and somehow managed to do better in the literature than the language, can't quite get my head around it. I'm carrying on for A2 so I'll just re-take language next year so i'll actually stand a chance of getting an A overall.
An 80-something and a 90-something: can't remember which way around...

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the A2 so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleMissDancer
An 80-something and a 90-something: can't remember which way around...

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the A2 so far?

I've really enjoyed it so far. Virgil is finished, and I didn't find it too hard, relatively speaking. It was great to read a little bit of one of the most famous poems ever written! :smile: I've just started Tacitus, which is seriously tough - the sentences are so long! I did some unseen work before the Oxford CAT (Classics Admissions Test), but I'm mostly leaving it until closer to the exam; although I am continuing to learn more vocab, as they could throw anything at you in the A2 exam... :tongue:
I've really enjoyed it so far. Virgil is finished, and I didn't find it too hard, relatively speaking. It was great to read a little bit of one of the most famous poems ever written! :smile: I've just started Tacitus, which is seriously tough - the sentences are so long! I did some unseen work before the Oxford CAT (Classics Admissions Test), but I'm mostly leaving it until closer to the exam; although I am continuing to learn more vocab, as they could throw anything at you in the A2 exam... :tongue:

I've finished the Virgil too and I loved it! I really dislike Dido, but the language is beautiful and the description of 'Fama'...
I'm half way through the Sallust who wrote similarly to Tacitus and seems to have an aversion to verbs: but the plot of the story painted is quite interesting.

Ooh, how did the CAT go? I did the PAT on the 6th...
I've only just started doing unseens this half term and literally started properly learning vocab this week - it's a little bit annoying that there isn't a vocab list, in my opinion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've finished the Virgil too and I loved it! I really dislike Dido, but the language is beautiful and the description of 'Fama'...
I'm half way through the Sallust who wrote similarly to Tacitus and seems to have an aversion to verbs: but the plot of the story painted is quite interesting.

Ooh, how did the CAT go? I did the PAT on the 6th...
I've only just started doing unseens this half term and literally started properly learning vocab this week - it's a little bit annoying that there isn't a vocab list, in my opinion!

Definitely agree, Virgil's poetry is every bit as good as it's supposed to be.

Yes, I know what you mean - it often seems to me that Latin prose authors worked on the assumption that the longer the sentence, the better it must be! Tacitus is all about the misdemeanours of Nero, which is quite fun.

CAT went reasonably well, thank you. It didn't seem massively difficult, and I certainly understood the gist of both poetry and prose well enough. I know I made a couple of errors (a few vocabulary items I didn't know), so I don't think it was particularly amazing, but I hope it was good enough to get me an interview. 96% of applicants are interviewed for Classics anyway, so the odds are in my favour (The Hunger Games pun not originally intended!)

How was the PAT? I'm very impressed that you take Latin alongside science-maths subjects - I'm quite a traditional humanities/arts person, as I take English Lit and History alongside Latin at A2 (and also play violin and piano).

The lack of a vocab list certainly makes it hard to know what to learn, but I guess the idea of A2 is that you can read unadapted extracts (i.e. not altered to suit a defined vocab list)...
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitely agree, Virgil's poetry is every bit as good as it's supposed to be.

Yes, I know what you mean - it often seems to me that Latin prose authors worked on the assumption that the longer the sentence, the better it must be! Tacitus is all about the misdemeanours of Nero, which is quite fun.

CAT went reasonably well, thank you. It didn't seem massively difficult, and I certainly understood the gist of both poetry and prose well enough. I know I made a couple of errors (a few vocabulary items I didn't know), so I don't think it was particularly amazing, but I hope it was good enough to get me an interview. 96% of applicants are interviewed for Classics anyway, so the odds are in my favour (The Hunger Games pun not originally intended!)

How was the PAT? I'm very impressed that you take Latin alongside science-maths subjects - I'm quite a traditional humanities/arts person, as I take English Lit and History alongside Latin at A2 (and also play violin and piano).

The lack of a vocab list certainly makes it hard to know what to learn, but I guess the idea of A2 is that you can read unadapted extracts (i.e. not altered to suit a defined vocab list)...

That's a perfect description of how a Roman history writer's mind seems to work. It's irritating when we're translating, but I suppose they didn't have us in mind when they were writing it :P

The Sallust is the Catiline conspiracy which is entertaining, compared with last year's 'In Verrem' but I'd have Virgil's Aeneid over it any day!

That sounds like good odds to me! I imagine everyone will have made some kind of error with vocab...

I've applied for physics and philosophy, and they interview 45% of the candidates. Cue panic! The PAT wasn't too bad, but I can't really tell if it was good enough for an interview; I guess time will tell.

I take English Lit, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A2 alongside Latin (and also play the oboe, alongside various other 'hobbies').

I like the idea of being able to read real Latin and it is more rewarding when you know that you're translating exactly what was written, but a general idea that wasn't just "know all the words" would be very nice at the moment!
That's a perfect description of how a Roman history writer's mind seems to work. It's irritating when we're translating, but I suppose they didn't have us in mind when they were writing it :P

The Sallust is the Catiline conspiracy which is entertaining, compared with last year's 'In Verrem' but I'd have Virgil's Aeneid over it any day!

That sounds like good odds to me! I imagine everyone will have made some kind of error with vocab...

I've applied for physics and philosophy, and they interview 45% of the candidates. Cue panic! The PAT wasn't too bad, but I can't really tell if it was good enough for an interview; I guess time will tell.

I take English Lit, Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A2 alongside Latin (and also play the oboe, alongside various other 'hobbies').

I like the idea of being able to read real Latin and it is more rewarding when you know that you're translating exactly what was written, but a general idea that wasn't just "know all the words" would be very nice at the moment!

You're probably right in terms of the CAT - I just imagine lots of stereotypical terrifyingly-intelligent privately-schooled Oxford applicants who have been studying Latin since they were 5 years old...

Physics and Philosophy sounds like an amazing and really interesting course... and you sound like the sort of person who should get an interview! Your combination of subjects is pretty impressive; I'm not sure I could do five A2s (well, four-and-a-half I suppose with FM). I do English Lit, History and Latin, and I'm working towards Grade 8 violin and piano next summer, which is easily equivalent to another A2 - so I consider myself to be doing four. You still trump me though! :wink:
You're probably right in terms of the CAT - I just imagine lots of stereotypical terrifyingly-intelligent privately-schooled Oxford applicants who have been studying Latin since they were 5 years old...

Physics and Philosophy sounds like an amazing and really interesting course... and you sound like the sort of person who should get an interview! Your combination of subjects is pretty impressive; I'm not sure I could do five A2s (well, four-and-a-half I suppose with FM). I do English Lit, History and Latin, and I'm working towards Grade 8 violin and piano next summer, which is easily equivalent to another A2 - so I consider myself to be doing four. You still trump me though! :wink:

Haha, if it helps, I'm privately schooled and have been learning Latin since I was 11 and I probably couldn't manage the vocab on an A2 paper never mind a CAT! Though I certainly wouldn't put my school on par with those in the picture you seem to be imagining!

I count my subjects as 5 even though it's really just 4 with extra maths, the maths is a LOT of work! I'm also taking grade 6 oboe, an advanced certificate in ballet and a foundation degree in teaching dance alongside my A2s... How many A-levels is that equivalent to? :wink:

Seriously though, I can't imagine how much work grade 8 is - and to have it on 2 instruments...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha not a generalisation there at all :wink:

I did latin from GCSE and A-level (got an A overall for AS), at a state school, maybe I'll be one of the few non-toffs not applying then? ;P

I don't think CAT was as bad as I've seen it be in other papers, its mainly hope and pray on some of the vocab though :L
I got 100 in language and 80 in literature when I took my AS back in the day (two years ago now). State schooled as well, so you're not alone, poster above!
Original post by masonboyowen
Haha not a generalisation there at all :wink:

I did latin from GCSE and A-level (got an A overall for AS), at a state school, maybe I'll be one of the few non-toffs not applying then? ;P

I don't think CAT was as bad as I've seen it be in other papers, its mainly hope and pray on some of the vocab though :L

Haha, I know it's not really like that :wink: Just scared of my relative performance compared to everyone else in the CAT... And in case you hadn't guessed, I do go to a state school.
Caecilius est in horto and all that jazz one suspects!
Haha, I know it's not really like that :wink: Just scared of my relative performance compared to everyone else in the CAT... And in case you hadn't guessed, I do go to a state school.

Haha don't worry, it'd be weird to disregard all your a-levels and personal statement for one not brilliant test on one day :P
Original post by LuxVeritatis
I got 100 in language and 80 in literature when I took my AS back in the day (two years ago now). State schooled as well, so you're not alone, poster above!

Any advice for getting a mark like that on the language paper? Language is my strong point but I got a lower mark in it than in literature
Original post by dtin
Any advice for getting a mark like that on the language paper? Language is my strong point but I got a lower mark in it than in literature

Yep, be absolutely meticulous. With AS, they release vocab lists and exact specifications of grammar that can come up in the exam. They CANNOT USE any vocab not on that list unless they tell you what it means in the exam paper. If you know, inside out, every single word on that vocab list, and every single piece of grammar on the spec, there is no chance that you can get anything but 100%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending