The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Choosing between unis

I am currently in my gap year and have unconditional university offers from Durham, LSE and Goldsmiths. I am torn between Goldsmiths and LSE, but I would also like to know what it's like living in London whilst at uni. I feel like I'd be more suited to Goldsmiths but my parents desperately want me to go to a uni which is high on the league table. Any advice?
Reply 1
What have you applied for? Well having LSE's offer and choosing Goldsmiths over it is a bit vague for me :biggrin:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Depends on the subject really but I am guessing LSE would be higher on the league table for most subjects it offers than Goldsmith.

Now though league tables are not everything is there a particular reason you want to go to Goldsmiths UoL over LSE? Its a serious life decision and must not be based on trifles such as commuting, friends going there etc.

Make the most informed choice based on your priorities.
Reply 3
Original post by eloo
What have you applied for? Well having LSE's offer and choosing Goldsmiths over it is a bit vague for me :biggrin:

Anthropology
Reply 4
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
Depends on the subject really but I am guessing LSE would be higher on the league table for most subjects it offers than Goldsmith.

Now though league tables are not everything is there a particular reason you want to go to Goldsmiths UoL over LSE? Its a serious life decision and must not be based on trifles such as commuting, friends going there etc.

Make the most informed choice based on your priorities.

Studying Anthropology and the importance of league tables seem a bit artificial to me. I worry that I will struggle in the competitive environment of LSE but I'm not sure
Original post by EmzElizabeth
Studying Anthropology and the importance of league tables seem a bit artificial to me. I worry that I will struggle in the competitive environment of LSE but I'm not sure

Ok as somebody in the last year of 4 years long BA, let me offer some frank advice gathered from experience.

Its natural to feel daunted by university life. I was too initially. However, you must not assume that you would flounder in the academic environment at LSE. After all they gave you an offer after determining that you would be a good fit for their programme. All I am saying is that do not throw down your weapons and surrender before the battle has even begun. You are very likely underestimating yourself. Most people do.

Secondly, even though you worry about your ability to cope now, years later you will thank LSE for pushing you harder than other universities. You will emerge from it very polished, very employable and able to manage difficult situations with ease. Hard work always pays off. It will be more beneficial for you in the longer run.

This difference in exertion does not rely so much on teaching quality (thats pretty much the same in most Russell group unis), but on the academic potential of your peers. They will work hard and that will push you to do so too. If you are not pushed you will find that others who worked harder at uni are better placed to avail post-uni opportunities than you. Its not a certainty but a likely possibility.

Thirdly, though one or two points on the league table do not matter very much, the difference between LSE's reputation and that of Goldsmiths is huge. Goldsmiths is good but LSE is an international ambassador for British Higher Education (especially in social sciences like Athropology). Since your concerns are not based upon cost (same for both since its London) nor actual degree plan, you should go for one which you feel will better equip you for whatever career path you choose, whether a job or postgraduate study. I am no expert but I suspect that its LSE in all likelihood.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
Ok as somebody in the last year of 4 years long BA, let me offer some frank advice gathered from experience.

Its natural to feel daunted by university life. I was too initially. However, you must not assume that you would flounder in the academic environment at LSE. After all they gave you an offer after determining that you would be a good fit for their programme. All I am saying is that do not throw down your weapons and surrender before the battle has even begun. You are very likely underestimating yourself. Most people do.

Secondly, even though you worry about your ability to cope now, years later you will thank LSE for pushing you harder than other universities. You will emerge from it very polished, very employable and able to manage difficult situations with ease. Hard work always pays off. It will be more beneficial for you in the longer run.

This difference in exertion does not rely so much on teaching quality (thats pretty much the same in most Russell group unis), but on the academic potential of your peers. They will work hard and that will push you to do so too. If you are not pushed you will find that others who worked harder at uni are better placed to avail post-uni opportunities than you. Its not a certainty but a likely possibility.

Thirdly, though one or two points on the league table do not matter very much, the difference between LSE's reputation and that of Goldsmiths is huge. Goldsmiths is good but LSE is an international ambassador for British Higher Education (especially in social sciences like Athropology). Since your concerns are not based upon cost (same for both since its London) nor actual degree plan, you should go for one which you feel will better equip you for whatever career path you choose, whether a job or postgraduate study. I am no expert but I suspect that its LSE in all likelihood.

Good Luck :smile:

okay thank you for your advice so kind :smile: it has definitely helped me in coming to a clearer decision
Reply 7
I am currently in my gap year and have unconditional university offers from Durham, LSE and Goldsmiths. I am torn between Goldsmiths and LSE, but I would also like to know what it's like living in London whilst at uni. I feel like I'd be more suited to Goldsmiths but my parents desperately want me to go to a uni which is high on the league table. Any advice?

I think this league table says it all

50% employment rate means it is a truly worthless degree.
Reply 8

LSE is a vastly better department and university. You'll get more out of your subject and will be more employable after a course in which it can be quite tricky to find employment in afterwards. The workload is manageable if you're willing to try.

LSE is a competitive place, but you could always pick University of London halls to get a wider circle of friends. Anthropologists at LSE are generally markedly different from the neo liberal, investment banker-wannabe economist types anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending