The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Natural Sciences 2014 entry Open Day invitation

Hi! I got a letter last week inviting me to an interview at UCL for natural sciences on 6th February 2014. The plan for the day has a 1.5 hour slot for "discussion with an academic and tour of facilities."
Has anybody been to this open day? Is the discussion a longer formal interview or shorter informal one? Also, what is the dress code/ what were other people wearing?

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Got the same letter and same date a few weeks ago too, and as far as I can tell from whats on TSR it is fairly informal. I would still go through your personal statement and get ready for some questions obviously.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
How was it guys??
Reply 3
I went for this yesterday :biggrin: The weather was really depressing... The students bringing us around to see the facilities were not very good at introducing what being a natural science student was about- they more or less just showed us around the place. One of the students mentioned that if you were invited to an open day you "fit the criteria" and were "probably going to get an offer", not sure how accurate that was.

As for the "interview", I talked to the physics stream coordinator who, as his title suggests, knew a lot about the physics side but couldn't really give any advice on the other streams (Life Sciences & Chemistry). He was really friendly though and constantly apologised for "selling" UCL too much :rolleyes:

One thing that he said about the natural science degree really appealed to me- that nowadays science operates across single disciplines, and that future employers would recognise how this degree makes the student more capable of tackling problems from a range of perspectives.

Woah, I wrote a lot :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by nghz
I went for this yesterday :biggrin: The weather was really depressing... The students bringing us around to see the facilities were not very good at introducing what being a natural science student was about- they more or less just showed us around the place. One of the students mentioned that if you were invited to an open day you "fit the criteria" and were "probably going to get an offer", not sure how accurate that was.

As for the "interview", I talked to the physics stream coordinator who, as his title suggests, knew a lot about the physics side but couldn't really give any advice on the other streams (Life Sciences & Chemistry). He was really friendly though and constantly apologised for "selling" UCL too much :rolleyes:

One thing that he said about the natural science degree really appealed to me- that nowadays science operates across single disciplines, and that future employers would recognise how this degree makes the student more capable of tackling problems from a range of perspectives.

Woah, I wrote a lot :colondollar:

Haha sounds good!

But did he ask any questions about your ps or any academic questions?
Reply 5
Original post by Pras123
Haha sounds good!

But did he ask any questions about your ps or any academic questions?

Well he just said the PS was really good and so were the references... No academic questions unfortunately- I'm one of those weird people that enjoy those.
Reply 6
Upate: Just got a letter from UCL saying that as a RESULT of meeting me they are going to RECOMMEND (these words were bolded) that I get an offer and to expect it soon.

I guess this means that the open day did matter?
Reply 7
Hey, yeah I was a bit thrown off by the emphasis on the word 'recommending' - does it mean we have a definite offer or...? :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by TDS13
Hey, yeah I was a bit thrown off by the emphasis on the word 'recommending' - does it mean we have a definite offer or...? :colondollar:

It means they'll give you an offer :biggrin:

I got the same letter. Guess I'll see you next year :biggrin: :P
Reply 9
I'm one of those people that just wants to go to UCL to get into Investment Banking LOL. Natural Sciences isn't necessarily the best subject to choose for me, but nevertheless I love studying sciences :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by AnharM

I didn't want to get my hopes up too soon aha, but yaaaaaay :yay: Well done! See you then haha :shakehand:
Reply 11
Original post by AnharM
I'm one of those people that just wants to go to UCL to get into Investment Banking LOL. Natural Sciences isn't necessarily the best subject to choose for me, but nevertheless I love studying sciences :biggrin:

How do you get into investment banking from going to UCL? I'm semi-interested in going into consultancy after the degree- I love the sciences too, couldn't give it up to go for economics or law.
Reply 12
Original post by nghz
How do you get into investment banking from going to UCL? I'm semi-interested in going into consultancy after the degree- I love the sciences too, couldn't give it up to go for economics or law.

The target universities for most Investment Banks are: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham and possibly Bristol and Bath I think.

What I mean by target universities is that certain IB's target graduates from these universities. These IB's also visit these universities, and allow students from these universities to form networks with employers.

Of course, a potential Investment Banker who studies X still needs experience in the field of IB, so you'll need internships in the summer. Join Investment Banking societies in UCL if there is one, people will help you out there.

It's very common for graduates from Oxbridge etc. that studied non-Mathematical degrees (such as Natural Sciences, Languages, the Arts) to get a job in Investment Banking.
Reply 13
Original post by AnharM
The target universities for most Investment Banks are: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham and possibly Bristol and Bath I think.

What I mean by target universities is that certain IB's target graduates from these universities. These IB's also visit these universities, and allow students from these universities to form networks with employers.

Of course, a potential Investment Banker who studies X still needs experience in the field of IB, so you'll need internships in the summer. Join Investment Banking societies in UCL if there is one, people will help you out there.

It's very common for graduates from Oxbridge etc. that studied non-Mathematical degrees (such as Natural Sciences, Languages, the Arts) to get a job in Investment Banking.

That's great news :biggrin: Thanks for that!
Reply 14
Original post by TDS13
I didn't want to get my hopes up too soon aha, but yaaaaaay :yay: Well done! See you then haha :shakehand:

have you received an official offer yet from UCL? I still haven't, and I'm getting slightly worried haha. Although my UCL Portico has changed to ''Currently being processed by admissions''.
Reply 15
Hey guys! I was just wondering how long after going to the open day you got the email about your "recommendation" :smile:

Original post by AnharM

Original post by nghz
Upate: Just got a letter from UCL saying that as a RESULT of meeting me they are going to RECOMMEND (these words were bolded) that I get an offer and to expect it soon.

I guess this means that the open day did matter?
Reply 16
Original post by jo7777
Hey guys! I was just wondering how long after going to the open day you got the email about your "recommendation" :smile:

A few days after- got the offer a few weeks after :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by nghz
A few days after- got the offer a few weeks after :smile:

It came through today! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jo7777
It came through today! Thanks for your help :smile:

Congrats!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest