The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by antonyzac
Not at all. I'd say they'll stop giving out interviews in 3/4 weeks which a month left! :smile:

What makes you think that?! Have you had an interview already? I mean, that's awesome if it's true but I'm just a little skeptical! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 881
They will keep giving interviews until they don't have places left! So it depends on how good the other interviewees have been.
What are the odds of an offer at the interview stage? Eg 50%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 883
Are many people still waiting to hear back? (pre-interview) If so, what are your stats?

Good luck to everyone with interviews next week! :smile:
Reply 884
Original post by Username12213131

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year it was 69% but I think they're making a few less offers this year.
Original post by Paradox.
Last year it was 69% but I think they're making a few less offers this year.

Thanks. Why is that?
Reply 886
Thanks. Why is that?

I vaguely remember at an open day that Brenda Cross said more people are firming UCL now than in the past so they can't make as many offers. :redface: I doubt it'll reduce that much, probably just 65% this year or something
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 887
Original post by kajal909
Are many people still waiting to hear back? (pre-interview) If so, what are your stats?

Good luck to everyone with interviews next week! :smile:

I'm still waiting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 889

If you got offers from ICSM and UCL, which will you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

according to the stats on the 2012 cycle about 60-70% chance
Reply 891
Does anybody know what the success rate is for applicants from outside the UK? I guess it must be much lower since there are limited places for international students.
Can someone please remind me the BMAT essay topic about surgeons. It seems like a a lifetime ago that I took this test. To be honest, I erased BMAT from my memory after those awful scores, had no hope that I'll get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 893
Offer!!!!!! Interviewed on 5/2/2014

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mli26
Offer!!!!!! Interviewed on 5/2/2014

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've also got an offer! Interviewed on 4/2/2014

I'm happy to give advice to any who needs it regarding the interview and what to expect but the key aspects of what the interview is about have already been covered by several people on this thread:
Basically know your personal statement- read through it objectively as if you were the interviewer and try to anticipate what they could ask based upon the content. You should be comfortable elaborating on any part of the statement.
Expect to be asked at least one question on the BMAT essay (I was only asked one-to summarise the main arguments regarding the surgeons' league tables but there were others on the day who were asked a lot more. Some weren't asked anything about it but do expect some questions). I found it useful to jot a few key points next to the copy of the BMAT essay that you are given when you first arrive so I had a clear idea of what I wanted to say.
It's good to be aware of current medical issues too- I was asked a question which I answered using knowledge taken from a recent article about problems with not treating elderly cancer patients because of their age.
Be prepared for the basic questions though I wasn't asked why medicine only why UCL- but the interviewer wanted me to talk a bit about UCL's history so it's worth knowing that e.g. about Jeremy Bentham etc.
Finally be relaxed and be yourself (I know it's easier said than done). Based upon my experience and everyone else there, the interviewers are really friendly and just want you to show them what you can do.

Good luck everyone! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ke299
Oh I haven't got any information about accommodation either! I'm hoping we'll get something soon.. maybe we have to firm ucl first

It's all on the UCL website if you want to have a look:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation
Reply 897
Congrats on all the offers!! Does anyone have any advice on how I should prepare for my interview? I really want to ace it and get an offer, ucl is my dream uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 898
Original post by great life
Can someone please remind me the BMAT essay topic about surgeons. It seems like a a lifetime ago that I took this test. To be honest, I erased BMAT from my memory after those awful scores, had no hope that I'll get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was about mortality rates, a question if they should be published so that everyone can access it, sth that it could discourage good surgeons who often take risky cases and thus have high mortality rate, sth like that. Hope I helped even just a little bit :smile:
Original post by great life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its along the lines of " Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on more difficult cases. Publishing their mortality rates may deter them from doing so. Discuss........"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending