The Student Room Group

AS Biology coursework/Report

I'm doing about the conservation of tigers and I have to find a biological method to conserving them the only one I found was breeding tigers. I don't know what to write for breeding or what i'm supposed to write on it ? anyone help please?
Reply 1
Original post by Dopeasstvd
I'm doing about the conservation of tigers and I have to find a biological method to conserving them the only one I found was breeding tigers. I don't know what to write for breeding or what i'm supposed to write on it ? anyone help please?

It's an interesting topic to choose. I suppose you could briefly mention some stats about the epidemiology of tigers. The main things you'd need to talk about are breeding them, but also mention the preservation of habitat, ease of access to food/water, separating them from potential predators. Breeding is basically getting the females and forcing them to mate with males or injecting male sperm into the female, forcing the females to produce offspring. I suppose you could discuss how this is done, what centers around the world perform this, and it's impact on the conservation of tigers.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
It's an interesting topic to choose. I suppose you could briefly mention some stats about the epidemiology of tigers. The main things you'd need to talk about are breeding them, but also mention the preservation of habitat, ease of access to food/water, separating them from potential predators. Breeding is basically getting the females and forcing them to mate with males or injecting male sperm into the female, forcing the females to produce offspring. I suppose you could discuss how this is done, what centers around the world perform this, and it's impact on the conservation of tigers.

Hope this helps :smile:

HI my teacher suggested that I should write about how the mates are selected for breeding tigers. I talked about the kinship value a low kinship value basically is a good thing as it means you breed tigers who aren't closely related to other tiger mate. The problem is right now is I can't really find graphs showing the effect of breeding on the conservation of tigers. I searched everywhere can you please help??
Reply 3
HI my teacher suggested that I should write about how the mates are selected for breeding tigers. I talked about the kinship value a low kinship value basically is a good thing as it means you breed tigers who aren't closely related to other tiger mate. The problem is right now is I can't really find graphs showing the effect of breeding on the conservation of tigers. I searched everywhere can you please help??

Ahh ok, I've just looked up what a kinship value is (link at the bottom). You won't really find any graphs on the effects of breeding on animal conservation, because it's pretty obvious that breeding has a positive impact on their conservation. If you need to include data, I'd recommend looking at a different variable's effect on fertility of tigers (or similar). I think that would be hard to find data for, because we're obviously trying to conserve them and thus would want to avoid any risks or experiments which do tigers harm. It's difficult, maybe you could look for other data/graphs eg. the birth rates of certain species. Here's a really useful page you might want to look at http://www.tigerlink.org/husbandry/husman5.htm

I've also listed some other pages which might aid you. If you're still stuck then quote me and I'll get back to you.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/EndangeredSpecies/GLTProgram/ZooLife/Science/MeanKinship.cfm

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/tigers/about_tigers/breeding_family/
Reply 4
Ahh ok, I've just looked up what a kinship value is (link at the bottom). You won't really find any graphs on the effects of breeding on animal conservation, because it's pretty obvious that breeding has a positive impact on their conservation. If you need to include data, I'd recommend looking at a different variable's effect on fertility of tigers (or similar). I think that would be hard to find data for, because we're obviously trying to conserve them and thus would want to avoid any risks or experiments which do tigers harm. It's difficult, maybe you could look for other data/graphs eg. the birth rates of certain species. Here's a really useful page you might want to look at http://www.tigerlink.org/husbandry/husman5.htm

I've also listed some other pages which might aid you. If you're still stuck then quote me and I'll get back to you.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/EndangeredSpecies/GLTProgram/ZooLife/Science/MeanKinship.cfm

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/tigers/about_tigers/breeding_family/

Thank you so much I'm new here so I don't know if there's like ways of rewarding someone who helps you on here. If there is just let me know. I'm going to use one of those graphs thank you. Since this is a coursework there are other things I need to consider , like implications of my method ( breeding ) the implications could be either ,ethical, social ,economical and environmental. I need to have two detailed implications and I also have to have two alternatives. So if you could just help me with those I'm doing about tigers in general not a specific specie of tigers.
Reply 5
Thank you so much I'm new here so I don't know if there's like ways of rewarding someone who helps you on here. If there is just let me know. I'm going to use one of those graphs thank you. Since this is a coursework there are other things I need to consider , like implications of my method ( breeding ) the implications could be either ,ethical, social ,economical and environmental. I need to have two detailed implications and I also have to have two alternatives. So if you could just help me with those I'm doing about tigers in general not a specific specie of tigers.

It's no problem :smile:

I see, yeah there's the ethical side by which you're selecting which individuals are chosen to breed (and forced to against nature). You'd have to consider the impact on the environment that keeping this species alive would have eg. the impact on other species populations, prey for tigers will increase. As for alternatives, how about increasing awareness to the public (so asking for donations on adverts). You can also have environmental conservation, removing pollutants, preserving habitats. That's all I can think of at the moment :smile:
Reply 6
It's no problem :smile:

I see, yeah there's the ethical side by which you're selecting which individuals are chosen to breed (and forced to against nature). You'd have to consider the impact on the environment that keeping this species alive would have eg. the impact on other species populations, prey for tigers will increase. As for alternatives, how about increasing awareness to the public (so asking for donations on adverts). You can also have environmental conservation, removing pollutants, preserving habitats. That's all I can think of at the moment :smile:

Thank you that was very helpful. Last thing I promise! You know for the implications it doesn't always have to be negative right? like you was saying how I could mention the impact the tiger will have on the enviroment if we conserved it. I saw some information on how conserving them your saving the ecosystem because they are that the top of the food chain. So is that one implications? Thank you so much btw
Reply 7
Thank you that was very helpful. Last thing I promise! You know for the implications it doesn't always have to be negative right? like you was saying how I could mention the impact the tiger will have on the enviroment if we conserved it. I saw some information on how conserving them your saving the ecosystem because they are that the top of the food chain. So is that one implications? Thank you so much btw

That's true, the environment would change drastically should tigers go extinct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending