The Student Room Group

Do you find this is offensive?

Basically I really want to get a t shirt made with the word 'btec' written across it. I've been thinking about it for a while (ever since a friend mentioned it) but someone said to me that people (btec students) could find it offensive.
Now personally I don't see what's offensive about that. It's about as offensive as the 'nerd' and 'geek' t shirts going around and those were annoying more than anything (and that's the point of this shirt, to be stupid/annoying). I just thought that if people can walk around school with nerd/geek t shirts on (when they're clearly not) then why can't I walk around a shirt that has btec printed on it.
BUT I really don't want to offend anyone at all. It's just an in joke my friend made and I thought it'd be funny to get a t shirt.

So people of TSR do you think it's offensive for me to walk around with such a shirt on? (I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I most certainly don't want to get into trouble with teachers).

edit: just realised there's a typo in the title
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it just the word btec? If so I don't see why it should be.
Original post by Cyphrex
Is it just the word btec? If so I don't see why it should be.

yep. It's just the word btec. and that's what I thought but someone mentioned to me that it could be offensive/rude.
No, it's quite a good parody... and seeing people who aren't geeky or nerdy in the slightest wearing "geek" t-shirts is far more offensive.
If your friends will get it and others will take it out of context, maybe only wear it in school? Alternatively, you could not worry about hurting people's feelings and wear the t-shirt anyway? People need to stop getting offended so easily.
Reply 5
Erm why exactly? seems like the most random thing ever to put on a T shirt :confused:
Reply 6
Might be a crime against both fashion and humour, but I don't see any offensiveness.

Having said that, it depends if you apply the TSR standard for offensiveness.
I don't find it offensive. It's like writing a-levels on it - what's so bad about it?
Just do it.
Original post by 2ndClass
Erm why exactly? seems like the most random thing ever to put on a T shirt :confused:

it's not random to me and my friends. it's a joke they made and I know they'd get the reference :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
it's not random to me and my friends. it's a joke they made and I know they'd get the reference :smile:

Sounds like you're poking fun at BTEC students. I don't understand what nerd/geek t-shirts have to do with it.

Why BTEC? Why not the word "horse" or "car" or "lemmings"?
Reply 11
Original post by Clip
Might be a crime against both fashion and humour, but I don't see any offensiveness.

Having said that, it depends if you apply the TSR standard for offensiveness.

Replace 'btec' with the 'Daily Mail'....
Original post by Creat0r
Sounds like you're poking fun at BTEC students. I don't understand what nerd/geek t-shirts have to do with it.

Why BTEC? Why not the word "horse" or "car" or "lemmings"?

I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone. If I was I would've gone ahead and got myself the t shirt already. The whole purpose of this thread is to ask others if they think it's offensive. If it is i'm not going to get it. WHY would I purposefully buy a t shirt that pokes fun at others?

I've been made to feel like **** before by others so why would I want anyone else to feel like that? :confused:
Reply 13
Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
I'm not trying to poke fun at anyone. If I was I would've gone ahead and got myself the t shirt already. The whole purpose of this thread is to ask others if they think it's offensive. If it is i'm not going to get it. WHY would I purposefully buy a t shirt that pokes fun at others?

I've been made to feel like **** before by others so why would I want anyone else to feel like that? :confused:

Sounds to me like it was mentioned during a conversation and it sounded really funny, it probably was funny at the time. It was a joke the joke is now over, you don't actually have to buy a t-shirt with it on, move on now.
Imho although it might seem like a good idea the time you might severely regret doing. You don't know who is going to take offense and what their reaction would be like.
Original post by Creat0r
Sounds to me like it was mentioned during a conversation and it sounded really funny, it probably was funny at the time. It was a joke the joke is now over, you don't actually have to buy a t-shirt with it on, move on now.

okkk, I was merely asking a question. no need to be so rude.
lol no that's not offensive
People who do a BTEC will be too stupid to understand the joke.
I think it's fine... I don't really get why you'd want to have a t-shirt that just says Btec on it but if that's what you want, I don't think it's offensive.
Who cares?

If anyone tells you they're offended just tell them to **** off.

Quick Reply

Latest