The Student Room Group

RAU Students 'dripping in cash'??

I've had an offer from, and would quite like to go to the Royal Agricultural University in Cirencester, however a friend's dad (who went there) told me that everyone there is 'dripping in cash' - rich farmers, heirs to estates and alike. This has completely put me off, as I don't want to spend 3 years feeling financially inferior to other students, my family isn't hard-up, but we aren't loaded either. Any opinions??
Original post by Georgina176
I've had an offer from, and would quite like to go to the Royal Agricultural University in Cirencester, however a friend's dad (who went there) told me that everyone there is 'dripping in cash' - rich farmers, heirs to estates and alike. This has completely put me off, as I don't want to spend 3 years feeling financially inferior to other students, my family isn't hard-up, but we aren't loaded either. Any opinions??

This is exactly the same as me! I have applied to Harper and Royal Agricultural University. Really liked both but people have also told me that everyone is 'dripping in cash' at RAU and that has put me off as like you said I don't want to spend 3 years feeling financially inferior to others, my family isn't hard-up, but we aren't loaded either!

What course have you applied for?
Why British people have such an aversion to success and money? In your position, I would be hungry to go there, make contacts and make a better future.

Maybe not nice, but that is reality now that everybody must compete with Chinese, Russian, Indonesians etc.
Reply 3
I have friends at both Ciren and Harper, and they are both great places. Granted, Ciren may be a little better off but the people I met there were very friendly, as with most agricultural universities, they tend to be more asset rich than 'dripping in cash'. Harper was also a good laugh though, as long as you dont take things too seriously as the banter can be fairly extreme. I attended Harper last year and am re-applying to study a different course at both RAU and HAU
Reply 4
Original post by FarmGirl_6930
This is exactly the same as me! I have applied to Harper and Royal Agricultural University. Really liked both but people have also told me that everyone is 'dripping in cash' at RAU and that has put me off as like you said I don't want to spend 3 years feeling financially inferior to others, my family isn't hard-up, but we aren't loaded either!

What course have you applied for?

I applied for Equine and Agricultural Management, although I'm seriously considering a gap year then reapplying for agric at Ciren and Harper, so confused about what I want to do right now!? How about you?
Original post by Georgina176
I applied for Equine and Agricultural Management, although I'm seriously considering a gap year then reapplying for agric at Ciren and Harper, so confused about what I want to do right now!? How about you?

I applied for agri business but I'm considering doing the same as you taking a gap year and maybe applying for agriculture at Ciren and Harper. But I'm just going to see what my results are in August and decide from there :/ slightly confused at what to to at the moment. I think the school are just busing people into going to uni and I think I may have fallen into that trap!
Reply 6
I'm studying at RAU at the moment. Most of us really aren't the red trouser wearing, land rover drivers but to be honest they are mostly pretty normal too. We're not stupid either, I'm a straight A/A* student and really hate the 'thick' preconception - it is the Oxbridge of the rural world after all. The mix of people has changed massively over the years so be broad minded...you will definitely find similar characters to you there.
Reply 7
Original post by OakTree1
I'm studying at RAU at the moment. Most of us really aren't the red trouser wearing, land rover drivers but to be honest they are mostly pretty normal too. We're not stupid either, I'm a straight A/A* student and really hate the 'thick' preconception - it is the Oxbridge of the rural world after all. The mix of people has changed massively over the years so be broad minded...you will definitely find similar characters to you there.

Is RAU good? I am really keen to get into agriculture but I'm not sure where to apply to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending