The Student Room Group

Greatest Superhero Film?

Greatest, favourite, whichever. I think there will be some obvious ones popping up here, but I think it's safe to say that Batman and Robin won't be one of them.

For me, it's a close call between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, with The Dark Knight probably just sneaking into the lead slightly.

Feel free to share your suggestions for the most overrated superhero film as well: for me, that would be The Avengers. Hardly a bad film, but I wouldn't say it meets the praise that most people give it, for most of the action only seems to happen in the latter third of it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My favourite is probably the original Spiderman (the Tobey Maguire one). Mostly down to when it came out and me being the right age for it. I'm not a huge fan of the genre though.

Most overrated would be The Dark Knight.
Reply 2
Kick Ass, if that counts.
My favorite would be Batman: The Dark Knight

Although i do love Kick Ass, just because it's so funny :tongue:

Most overrated would probably be the new Man of Steel which i personally thought was not good at all:unimpressed:
My favorite would be "Spiderman".
Reply 5
Difficult to say - for me, it's between Man Of Steel, The Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 (Tobey Maguire). :smile:

In the future I'm looking forward to Captain America 2, Guardians Of The Galaxy, X-Men Days Of Future Past and Amazing Spider-Man 2.

IMO, most over-rated = Thor
(edited 10 years ago)
Kick Ass
Hancock
Super
Jumper.
That is the definitive list. you need none of that Marvel/DC CU nonsense, especially the avengers. But Watchmen is good.
Reply 7
The Dark Knight
Reply 8
Original post by Tom_green_day
Kick Ass
Hancock
Super
Jumper.
That is the definitive list. you need none of that Marvel/DC CU nonsense, especially the avengers. But Watchmen is good.

I haven't seen any of those, and I probably need to. So did you not like The Dark Knight trilogy? I can understand why you wouldn't like Marvel though - some are really rather good, but many only seem to act as ways of introducing the characters for the next Avengers film.
Original post by Handles
I haven't seen any of those, and I probably need to. So did you not like The Dark Knight trilogy? I can understand why you wouldn't like Marvel though - some are really rather good, but many only seem to act as ways of introducing the characters for the next Avengers film.

I saw Dark Knight and thought it was only alright. I want to see Begins though for Murphy and Neeson.
I like Iron Man quite a bit but the others... Meeeeh.
Reply 10
Original post by Tom_green_day
I saw Dark Knight and thought it was only alright. I want to see Begins though for Murphy and Neeson.
I like Iron Man quite a bit but the others... Meeeeh.

Each to their own, I guess. I seem to like Begins a lot more than many of my friends, but that might be because I love origin stories. Neeson and Murphy are excellent in it, though I should warn you that Murphy's part isn't actually as big as you might expect for a villain like the Scarecrow.

I think I'd agree with you, Iron Man is probably the best of the Marvel bunch.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't think I've ever seen one better than Batman Begins.
Reply 12
Kickass (1 or 2)
The batman trilogy
the Iron man trilogy
Reply 13
Original post by Aoide
Kickass (1 or 2)
The batman trilogy
the Iron man trilogy

The Iron Man trilogy? First one could be a contender, but the second one isn't that great. I haven't seen the third, but it doesn't sound brilliant from what I've heard about it.
Reply 14
The dark knight wins
hancock and the avengers :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm a Marvel fan, so Thor is the best for me. I think the Nolan Batman trilogy is overrated.

Before people tear me apart for hating the Batman films, I'll give you a heads up on why my opinion is probably worthless (:frown:):
1. I hate long films so I was always going to hate the Batman films
2. I actually enjoyed the Green Lantern movie, so clearly I have terrible taste in films
Reply 17
Original post by Handles
The Iron Man trilogy? First one could be a contender, but the second one isn't that great. I haven't seen the third, but it doesn't sound brilliant from what I've heard about it.

I really enjoyed all three, although I think they are best when viewed as one long story. I agree 2 was the weakest but I thought 3 was great. I can understand it not being to everyone's tastes as it's more about tony as a person than ironman.
Batman begins. The Dark Knight was good although I watched it back the other day and don't particularly feel at ease with the seemingly conservative undertones of the film (about the telling of lies to 'protect' the people who can't cope with the truth and then the Returns narrative of the failure of society to thrive without the Batman as their guardian). The Dark Knight Returns was too big and too flash for my taste and the nuke over the sea was so unbelievably stupid I couldn't get past it.
Reply 19
Between Batman Begins and Spiderman, I tend to prefer the first one and then they tail off very quickly in the sequels. The most overrated for me was Superman Returns, for me it was the first indication that the superhero franchises had become too CGIed, visually it was good but I didn't think the plot was.

Latest

Trending

Trending