The Student Room Group

Is 'Europe' in Asia?

A friend of mine was telling me that Europe is an imaginary continent that is technically in Asia as they are on the same tectonic plate. Is this true? Are places like France, Germany Russia etc... in Asia?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Back To School
A friend of mine was telling me that Europe is an imaginary continent that is technically in Asia as they are on the same tectonic plate. Is this true? Are places like France, Germany Russia etc... in Asia?

Some places like Russia are in both continents.
a load of poo
Reply 3
Original post by 391iady
Some places like Russia are in both continents.

Yeah I know that. But technically speaking, is Europe really a continent or did we just make it up? Aren't European countries on the same tectonic plate as Asia?
They are both on the Eurasian plate I think, but then couldn't it go both ways? Maybe Asia is in Europe
Reply 5

Back To School you go.
Reply 6
Both Europe and Asia are on one plate - the Eurasian Plate. Continents aren't always defined by tectonic plates, as India and Saudi Arabia are on their own plates but still part of the continent of Asia.
Continents are a load of bull in general tbh.
This video sort of explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34
i dont know the technicalities and dont want to, but its nice to know that you can actually reach the capital of south korea from spain or portugal by train.
Reply 9
Original post by MidnightDream
They are both on the Eurasian plate I think, but then couldn't it go both ways? Maybe Asia is in Europe

But the Asian continent was established first because it has its own tectonic plate. Apparently white Europeans wanted their own continent separate from the Asians and created Europe, which is imaginary and is really Asia.
Is Asia in Europe?

Is Britain in Eurasia?

Is Iceland?
But the Asian continent was established first because it has its own tectonic plate. Apparently white Europeans wanted their own continent separate from the Asians and created Europe, which is imaginary and is really Asia.

okay :smile: I see
Reply 12
No. The boundaries of continents has nothing to do with tectonic plates, it is just another way to separate regions. There are many tectonic plates, some correspond to a single continent others share continents and some have no continent at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Europe is not in Asia :facepalm:
Original post by flyyoufools
Continents are a load of bull in general tbh.
This video sort of explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBcq1x7P34

Thanks, great video! So he was right then.
[QUOTE=Aoide;46332394]No. The boundaries of continents has nothing to do with tectonic plates, it is just another way to separate regions. There are many tectonic plates, some correspond to a single continent others share continents and some have no continent at all.

According to the video that has been posted, in geology, continents are described by means of tectonic plates.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Europe is not in Asia :facepalm:

Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.
Geologically, Europe isn't a continent because it isn't on its own tectonic plate and there is mo ocean separating us from Asia. Some very rich, angry and powerful white men probably wanted their own continent that went against geology and made one called Europe.

Well I guess it's how humans have chosen to define a continent. I don't think to be a continent something has to be on its own tectonic plate...

Regardless, claiming Europe is in Asia clearly isn't true.
Reply 18

I don't see why that tectonic plate 'belongs' to Asia and not Europe. The terms Asia and Europe existed before people really knew anything about tectonic plates. So Asia doesn't have 'it's own' tectonic plate, it's the Eurasian plate.

So no, Europe is not in Asia. It's in Eurasia. If you are going to consider them the same continent (which does make sense, and in fact they do consider them a single continent in many countries), then Eurasia is the accepted name rather than saying Europe is part of Asia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by KICHMYARSE
i dont know the technicalities and dont want to, but its nice to know that you can actually reach the capital of south korea from spain or portugal by train.

Or Inverness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending