The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Help! Sussex or Southampton? (History and film course)

I'm on my year off and have received unconditional offers from both Sussex and Southampton to study history and film studies (combined honours). I literally cannot decided between the two but must make a decision before I go travelling (in two weeks time!)

On paper I'm more up for Southampton , its better in the league tables , drama/film societies look better , overall seems to be a more respected university and i much prefer the course - especially as film has some practical aspects.

However sussex seems better socially and in terms of location? (i'm from london) Hows the social life at southampton?

Societies (esp drama / film) are important to me but I can't figure which uni is best for me? I'm very social but not so big on clubbing type nights out (but then that's all unis?)

HELP!

(Apologies for rambling but i'm having such a dilemma!)
Reply 1
I applied to both Sussex and Southampton so saw both on the open days. I'm now a first year at Southampton studying geography so I can't tell you much course wise but I have an idea of what both are like as I'm living in one and I know people in the other.

Southampton is a typical city really, not to big but not small, although it doesn't feel like you're living on the coast like Brighton does. A lot of your first your first year experience will ride on what accommodation you're in. Big more enclosed blocks like monte or glen eyre are great if you're the quieter type and want somewhere close to campus but aren't as good if you're into the club scene or want a walkable distance to reach the city centre like Liberty Point accommodation is.

Sussex is a lot further out from the city centre than Southampton and near enough all of it's accommodation is situated on campus so it's a 5 minute walk to anywhere there. Brighton is obviously a very vibrant and lively place (although more expensive than Southampton) whereas Southampton has a nice large shopping centre and all you're typical high street shops but it doesn't really stand out from any other city. Societies wise I can't give a huge insight into both so I'd recommend just looking on there websites they both have them up.

Reputation wise, Southampton is higher (Russell group) and Sussex has gone downhill since I applied so southampton edges it there but don't let that be much of a factor in swaying your decision.

So to conclude, in my opinion if you want to spend most your time on campus (e.g. For societies, library etc) then either choose Sussex or accommodation like glen eyre or Wessex lane at Southampton. If you're more into the club scene southampton is bigger and cheaper, or if you just want to be closer to the city centre southampton is better there too.

Hope that helps :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by samtheman18
I applied to both Sussex and Southampton so saw both on the open days. I'm now a first year at Southampton studying geography so I can't tell you much course wise but I have an idea of what both are like as I'm living in one and I know people in the other.

Southampton is a typical city really, not to big but not small, although it doesn't feel like you're living on the coast like Brighton does. A lot of your first your first year experience will ride on what accommodation you're in. Big more enclosed blocks like monte or glen eyre are great if you're the quieter type and want somewhere close to campus but aren't as good if you're into the club scene or want a walkable distance to reach the city centre like Liberty Point accommodation is.

Sussex is a lot further out from the city centre than Southampton and near enough all of it's accommodation is situated on campus so it's a 5 minute walk to anywhere there. Brighton is obviously a very vibrant and lively place (although more expensive than Southampton) whereas Southampton has a nice large shopping centre and all you're typical high street shops but it doesn't really stand out from any other city. Societies wise I can't give a huge insight into both so I'd recommend just looking on there websites they both have them up.

Reputation wise, Southampton is higher (Russell group) and Sussex has gone downhill since I applied so southampton edges it there but don't let that be much of a factor in swaying your decision.

So to conclude, in my opinion if you want to spend most your time on campus (e.g. For societies, library etc) then either choose Sussex or accommodation like glen eyre or Wessex lane at Southampton. If you're more into the club scene southampton is bigger and cheaper, or if you just want to be closer to the city centre southampton is better there too.

Hope that helps :smile:

Hiya! I applied for BSc Geography for 2014 and got an offer yay. I really like Southampton but am stuck choosing between soton and kings college, I live in London at the moment. Just wondering if you could give some details about the course? How different is it to a levels? (I do Edexcel) oh and what hall you staying at? I really like glen Eyre, but its quiet expensive. Do you prices may go down a bit this year, as 2 new halls will be opening, Mayflower and the other one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lala121
Hiya! I applied for BSc Geography for 2014 and got an offer yay. I really like Southampton but am stuck choosing between soton and kings college, I live in London at the moment. Just wondering if you could give some details about the course? How different is it to a levels? (I do Edexcel) oh and what hall you staying at? I really like glen Eyre, but its quiet expensive. Do you prices may go down a bit this year, as 2 new halls will be opening, Mayflower and the other one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I personally do BA Geography but in first year BSc and BA do the same core modules. For me this year there's 7 modules, 3 that run through first semester, 3 that run through second semester and 1 module which runs through both. They split it pretty evenly between human and physical geography in first year whereas I'm aware some other unis often sway more to either physical or human so best to check that out. I remember when I was first applying most Russell Groups share similar course structures and modules, but all of that can be found online.

In terms of how it differs from A levels there's some noticeable differences you've probably heard several times before. Yes it is true no one is there too push you to do the work and guidance is limited unless you actively seek it out (emails, other geography students etc.). For me the hardest thing to get round has been referencing. Unlike A level where you may of done a little research on the web or in a textbook and you can make some really good points in an essay, at degree level, if you don't have valid references to back up your points you may as well not write them at all, which can be frustrating. It's down to you to set yourself a routine, it can be work intensive if you want it to be or you can literally go for months without attending a lecture or looking at a book/journal/power point until exams come around. Obviously that isn't advised seen as it piles on the work just before exams and is really better just to do it as you go along. Another difference is a reasonable percentage of the exams are multiple choice which sounds better than it is cause they just make the questions harder but still a big difference to A level.

I would say workload wise it's similar perhaps a little less, the one thing about A levels I do miss is how clear and guided everything is. Although it's a lot of work you know that everything you need to know you're either taught in lessons or is in the textbook whilst at degree level although the backbone of it is in lectures, you really have to sort through the further reading to be certain of what you're talking about which can be very time consuming.

Again I hope that helps :smile:
Don't EVER make a Uni decision based on a League Table! If the course doesn't interest you then no League Table is going to make it interesting is it?

Read this - all of it - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Original post by returnmigrant
Don't EVER make a Uni decision based on a League Table! If the course doesn't interest you then no League Table is going to make it interesting is it?

Read this - all of it - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices

Are you an administration tutor at Sussex?
And what is an 'Administration Tutor'?

I think you've just illustrated that you think you know a great deal more than you actually do.
And what is an 'Administration Tutor'?

I think you've just illustrated that you think you know a great deal more than you actually do.

I don't see where you got that assumption from, I meant admissions* tutor! I've seen you promoting Sussex quite a lot around here. I had a few questions about Sussex
(edited 10 years ago)
What do you think an 'Administration Tutor' is - someone who teaches administration?

[For the record, I did my first degree at Sussex, plus post-grad and subsequently taught there.]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I go to Southampton, and the social life is great! The Student Union is fantastic, there will definitely be something for you there.

This might sound boring, but reputation is a lot more important than people give it credit. You might want to live it up and party, but at the end of the day you're going to university to work and get a good degree. It will impact your life more having a fantastic degree at a Russell Group rather than an okay degree at another. What's three years to the rest of your life? (Not saying Sussex is bad in any way, this is just the way the world works).

But you wouldn't be sacrificing your social life at Southampton! People here are clubbing addicts and really friendly. All the societies are really engaging, too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gemma345
It will impact your life more having a fantastic degree at a Russell Group rather than an okay degree at another.

How many graduate jobs have you actually applied for?
Reply 11
How many graduate jobs have you actually applied for?

Through internships I've applied to I've received a lot of positive feedback from the fact that I go to the university that I go to. Furthermore, members of my family say that when they employ people one of the first things they look at is what university the applicant went to.

It does also depend on what you want to go into, of course. It's not a snobbery thing - I applied and seriously considered going to non-Russell Group universities, it's just the way the world works. I just think that if you're going to be paying over 30k for your university you should try and go to the best one you can.
Reply 12
Through internships I've applied to I've received a lot of positive feedback from the fact that I go to the university that I go to. Furthermore, members of my family say that when they employ people one of the first things they look at is what university the applicant went to.

It does also depend on what you want to go into, of course. It's not a snobbery thing - I applied and seriously considered going to non-Russell Group universities, it's just the way the world works. I just think that if you're going to be paying over 30k for your university you should try and go to the best one you can.

What would your opinion be on Kings or Southampton? Btw I applied for Geography :colondollar::mmm::biggrin:
What do you think an 'Administration Tutor' is - someone who teaches administration?

[For the record, I did my first degree at Sussex, plus post-grad and subsequently taught there.]

Apologies, I meant admissions.
Reply 14
Original post by lala121
What would your opinion be on Kings or Southampton? Btw I applied for Geography :colondollar::mmm::biggrin:

Firstly, which type of Geography (BSc/BA)?

The good thing about those two choices is that they're both in the Russell Group, but then Kings is still slightly better than Southampton in terms of graduate prospectuses and prestige.

My boyfriend does BSc Geography at Kings, but he says there is more module variety for BSc Geography at Southampton, so that might be the better choice if you're doing BSc. If you're doing BA then he recommends Kings.

Have you visited either of them? What did you think?
Reply 15
Firstly, which type of Geography (BSc/BA)?

The good thing about those two choices is that they're both in the Russell Group, but then Kings is still slightly better than Southampton in terms of graduate prospectuses and prestige.

My boyfriend does BSc Geography at Kings, but he says there is more module variety for BSc Geography at Southampton, so that might be the better choice if you're doing BSc. If you're doing BA then he recommends Kings.

Have you visited either of them? What did you think?

Hiya! Yes I'm doing BSc. I have visited both. I did a research placement at kings for 2 weeks which was fun and the course is quiet interesting. I also went to Southampton but I feel that their course is more varied in terms of module choices, especially the new language programme one can do alongside.

My heart was initially on Southampton, but then all my friends and family (We live in London) are saying that Kings is much better and people would die to go there! Maybe its because they are narrow minded and see nothing else other than London. Also people have gotten this reputation thing really in my head, apparently Kings will improve my employability chances and Southampton would decrease them.

Gosh I'm only 17!!! Making this decision now is sooo stressful and annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by lala121
Hiya! Yes I'm doing BSc. I have visited both. I did a research placement at kings for 2 weeks which was fun and the course is quiet interesting. I also went to Southampton but I feel that their course is more varied in terms of module choices, especially the new language programme one can do alongside.

My heart was initially on Southampton, but then all my friends and family (We live in London) are saying that Kings is much better and people would die to go there! Maybe its because they are narrow minded and see nothing else other than London. Also people have gotten this reputation thing really in my head, apparently Kings will improve my employability chances and Southampton would decrease them.

Gosh I'm only 17!!! Making this decision now is sooo stressful and annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I knowww but it's so exciting at the same time! Kings does have a better reputation, but you're right, Southampton has more module choice and is more sciency (not a word but w/e). I personally would be really unhappy at a city university, I think. I love campus life.

Plus, the staff at Southampton are really lovely. I know my boyfriend have had some issues with the Geography staff at Kings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending