The Student Room Group

How "detailed" should your notes be?

My "notes" are basically supposed to be a copy of the textbook. They're completely useless and I will never use them before the exam however I still do them to please my teacher.

How detailed are your (useful) notes?, i.e. do you just write down keywords, simple diagrams and various exam technique stuff? Because once I started doing that my grades got so much better. However I'm still expected to virtually copy out the textbook which is essentially a massive waste of time.
Reply 1
It might be worth having two lots of notes. Notes for teacher and your own.
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC
My "notes" are basically supposed to be a copy of the textbook. They're completely useless and I will never use them before the exam however I still do them to please my teacher.

How detailed are your (useful) notes?, i.e. do you just write down keywords, simple diagrams and various exam technique stuff? Because once I started doing that my grades got so much better. However I'm still expected to virtually copy out the textbook which is essentially a massive waste of time.

Have a copy of the specification and I write down keywords from that and explanations/definitions, and stuff that's likely to help me later on
Reply 3
Original post by Old_Simon
It might be worth having two lots of notes. Notes for teacher and your own.

Yeah that's what I'm doing. Just wondering about whether or not other people have the same problem
In maths I try to write down the bare minimum such that I could relearn the topic again only using notes, if I were to forget it entirely (which is more than likely). I don't take any notes in computing.
Reply 5
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah that's what I'm doing. Just wondering about whether or not other people have the same problem

A good student is likely to be self learning ahead of the syllabus anyway so will have their own notes pretty much complete long before the "lesson".
Original post by TajwarC

I usually wrote down the basics (e.g definitions, key words) and things like percentages that would come in useful for the exam. But I made sure that they also made sense so when I revised, I could understand them. To copy out the textbook is a waste of time, it's just passive learning.

Quick Reply

Latest