The Student Room Group

Celtic or Rangers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by cel93
Celtic are a bigger club than Swansea, Southampton or villa in terms of fan base. Look it up if you don't believe me.

So are Newcastle - doesn't mean they can challenge for the title, does it? Rangers/Celtic have nowhere near the worldwide appeal Old Firm fans think they do. What top players would go to sign for Celtic/Rangers over any of the top six clubs in England right now? None. The Old Firm clubs could, of course, attempt to throw money at this like QPR/Cardiff tried to but ultimately they'd wind up the same as them.

If anybody seriously thinks Celtic could challenge for the PL within 5 years of joining it they are absolutely mad. Over a 38 game season they would be lucky not to finish bottom six currently. Teams like Fenerbahce/Benfica have world-class support and world-wide appeal but if you put them in the PL they'd finish outside the top six too in my opinion.
Reply 61
Original post by Mackay
So are Newcastle - doesn't mean they can challenge for the title, does it? Rangers/Celtic have nowhere near the worldwide appeal Old Firm fans think they do. What top players would go to sign for Celtic/Rangers over any of the top six clubs in England right now? None. The Old Firm clubs could, of course, attempt to throw money at this like QPR/Cardiff tried to but ultimately they'd wind up the same as them.

If anybody seriously thinks Celtic could challenge for the PL within 5 years of joining it they are absolutely mad. Over a 38 game season they would be lucky not to finish bottom six currently. Teams like Fenerbahce/Benfica have world-class support and world-wide appeal but if you put them in the PL they'd finish outside the top six too in my opinion.

I have already highlighted the massive difference between QPR/Cardiff and Rangers/Celtic, please stop comparing them. I am trying to do you a favour as you will just embarrass yourself.

If Rangers or Celtic had the same financial resources as, for example, Man City, then I would say they would be a far more attractive prospect for potential signings. Of the top 6 teams in the Premier League right now, 3 of them are from London. I will admit that living in London is a big draw for a player. The other cities making up the top 6 are Liverpool and Manchester, neither of which holds an advantage over Glasgow.

Playing for an Old Firm team carries a certain prestige, given the history each club has - this is what attracted the likes of Gazza. Nobody is claiming the current Celtic side would win the Premier League and the current Rangers team would struggle in League 1, but they would get there eventually.

The worldwide appeal of the Old Firm is huge and Celtic are already ranked in the top 50 football brands in the world. Rangers were, too, before their demise. Playing in the Premier League would place the Rangers and Celtic brands in or around the top 10.
Reply 62
Original post by pane123
I have already highlighted the massive difference between QPR/Cardiff and Rangers/Celtic, please stop comparing them. I am trying to do you a favour as you will just embarrass yourself.

If Rangers or Celtic had the same financial resources as, for example, Man City, then I would say they would be a far more attractive prospect for potential signings. Of the top 6 teams in the Premier League right now, 3 of them are from London. I will admit that living in London is a big draw for a player. The other cities making up the top 6 are Liverpool and Manchester, neither of which holds an advantage over Glasgow.

Playing for an Old Firm team carries a certain prestige, given the history each club has - this is what attracted the likes of Gazza. Nobody is claiming the current Celtic side would win the Premier League and the current Rangers team would struggle in League 1, but they would get there eventually.

The worldwide appeal of the Old Firm is huge and Celtic are already ranked in the top 50 football brands in the world. Rangers were, too, before their demise. Playing in the Premier League would place the Rangers and Celtic brands in or around the top 10.

Let's be fair - it attracted Gazza when his career was already somewhat diminishing. The Old Firm was a different story back then. Larsson, Hartson, Sutton, Keane, De Boer...there's no way players like that would move there now. That's a fact. Samaras is arguably the league's biggest star and he was a complete flop at City (even before they had their billions).

I'm not arguing that they have more appeal than the likes of QPR/Cardiff but saying that if they had City's money they would be "far more attractive prospect" than City for signings is complete foolishness. What player in their right mind would want to move to Celtic/Rangers over a team one of the Manchester clubs, or Liverpool or Everton?

I'm not talking about the brand of the clubs per se, nobody's questioning how loyal and colossal their support is. I'm just suggesting that this "get there eventually" stuff is complete conjecture - it's like saying what would happen if Nottingham Forest attracted a massive oil merchant owner worth billions of pounds. They have just as enriched history as the Old Firm clubs but can you see players in Europe choosing to play for them if they were in the PL over the top six clubs (arguably five of which are the biggest in the world bar Barcelona and Madrid anyway).
Reply 63
Original post by Mackay
Let's be fair - it attracted Gazza when his career was already somewhat diminishing. The Old Firm was a different story back then. Larsson, Hartson, Sutton, Keane, De Boer...there's no way players like that would move there now. That's a fact. Samaras is arguably the league's biggest star and he was a complete flop at City (even before they had their billions).

I'm not arguing that they have more appeal than the likes of QPR/Cardiff but saying that if they had City's money they would be "far more attractive prospect" than City for signings is complete foolishness. What player in their right mind would want to move to Celtic/Rangers over a team one of the Manchester clubs, or Liverpool or Everton?

I'm not talking about the brand of the clubs per se, nobody's questioning how loyal and colossal their support is. I'm just suggesting that this "get there eventually" stuff is complete conjecture - it's like saying what would happen if Nottingham Forest attracted a massive oil merchant owner worth billions of pounds. They have just as enriched history as the Old Firm clubs but can you see players in Europe choosing to play for them if they were in the PL over the top six clubs (arguably five of which are the biggest in the world bar Barcelona and Madrid anyway).

You keep picking up on just one aspect of the Old Firm and ignoring the rest. Brand is not just about history, it's about the ability for a club to make money. The Old Firm have much bigger potential than the likes of Nottingham Forest. Imagine someone told you 10 years ago that players as good as Aguero would play for Man City.

Rangers and Celtic are much bigger than Man City. Why would anyone move to Everton over Rangers or Celtic? That one literally made me chuckle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by pane123
You keep picking up on just one aspect of the Old Firm and ignoring the rest. Brand is not just about history, it's about the ability for a club to make money. The Old Firm have much bigger potential than the likes of Nottingham Forest. Imagine someone told you 10 years ago that players as good as Aguero would play for Man City.

Rangers and Celtic are much bigger than Man City. Why would anyone move to Everton over Rangers or Celtic? That one literally made me chuckle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are having me on, right?

Why on EARTH would a player choose to move to Celtic/Rangers over Everton? Are you serious? Go and ask Lukaku, Mirallas, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Howard if they'd swap to play for an Old Firm club if they had the chance. The answer will be a resounding, 110% and unwavering "no".
Reply 65
Original post by Mackay
You are having me on, right?

Why on EARTH would a player choose to move to Celtic/Rangers over Everton? Are you serious? Go and ask Lukaku, Mirallas, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Howard if they'd swap to play for an Old Firm club if they had the chance. The answer will be a resounding, 110% and unwavering "no".

No, I'm not having you on. Man City are a very rich club, but that's not to say they are 'big' compared to the Old Firm.

Remember we are working on the assumption that the Old Firm are in the Premier League.

Rangers and Celtic are bigger clubs than Everton and could offer bigger wages, never mind the fact that they would be better clubs to play for in almost every aspect. Without the backing of a billionaire, teams like Man City couldn't begin to compete with the Old Firm for players' signatures.

London clubs will always appeal to players because, well, they are in London, but beyond that only Man Utd and possibly Liverpool would be more appealing than an Old Firm side.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Rangers and Celtic have the fourth and fifth biggest fanbases in British football, in terms of clubs prestige you are seriously deluded if think either are even similar to a club like Swansea
Original post by The Monk
Rangers and Celtic have the fourth and fifth biggest fanbases in British football, in terms of clubs prestige you are seriously deluded if think either are even similar to a club like Swansea

Exactly. Their squads aren't stellar right now due to how rubbish Scottish football is at the moment, but put in the Premier League with big gates and huge commercial success internationally even before the TV exposure of the EPL and they could become as big as any English club, quite feasibly top-4 sides in the long run. Rangers would inevitabally market themselves in Asia as "Quintessentially British" with Union Jacks galore etc, while Celtic would play up being the "Underdogs", "Rebel's Choice" etc.

As to the OP - definitely Celtic. Had I not been bought up a Tottenham fan by my Dad long before I had any real awareness of politics, history or nationhood, I would probably be a Celtic fan. As it is, they're my second team.
Hearts have gone into admin apparently, thought this is slightly relevant to the thread
Reply 69
Original post by The Monk

Celtic are a much more prestigious club than Rangers, Whether you measure it by the fact they've won the European Cup, or by the fact Celtic fans are welcomed for a drink and a sink-song whereas Rangers are feared for the damage they'l; cause.

Swear every Irish-American paddy is on the Celtic train as well? Quite a big train...
Reply 70
Original post by Zürich
Celtic are a much more prestigious club than Rangers, Whether you measure it by the fact they've won the European Cup, or by the fact Celtic fans are welcomed for a drink and a sink-song whereas Rangers are feared for the damage they'l; cause.

Swear every Irish-American paddy is on the Celtic train as well? Quite a big train...

Celtic are not seen as more prestigious - quite the opposite, in fact. They pride themselves on being the rebel club, with poor, Catholic roots.
Reply 71
Original post by pane123
If Rangers or Celtic made it into the Premier League it would probably take about 5 years for them to be challenging for the title.

Where in the football league would they join?
Reply 72
Think that's the funniest thing about 'Orangemen'.

Wish I could be in Ulster just to stand there and say ''ja, oranje katholieke hier maat'' or ''hello, catholic orange guy here!''

They are celebrating a Dutch king who happened to be protestant man, 4 centuries ago. At least the Celtic fans are living in the modern day, :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by pane123
Celtic are not seen as more prestigious - quite the opposite, in fact. They pride themselves on being the rebel club, with poor, Catholic roots.

Maybe they do man, but at Arsenal at least, you know Celtic is going to be a piss up and a sing song. Rangers have a rep for damage.
Reply 74
Original post by Plainview
Where in the football league would they join?

It will never happen, but I suspect if it did they would start down very low.
Reply 75
If you pressed me it would have to be Rangers.
Reply 76
Neither. As someone of Irish catholic descent who is proud to be English (or at least proud of the region I'm from) I would find it hard to support a team followed by either IRA supporters or people who sing about wading up to the knees in my blood.

If I had to pick a team it would be Hibernian.

201141-291949-thickbox.jpg
Reply 77
Original post by mrderp28
Neither. As someone of Irish catholic descent who is proud to be English (or at least proud of the region I'm from) I would find it hard to support a team followed by either IRA supporters or people who sing about wading up to the knees in my blood.

If I had to pick a team it would be Hibernian.

201141-291949-thickbox.jpg

Best response yet!
Reply 78
Original post by zRydo
The only thing we'd bring down there is an atmosphere, the atmosphere in every premier league stadium is piss poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atmosphere would improve if they allowed a certain amount of terraces. It's stupid that every stadium has to be all seater. Just my opinion.
Reply 79
Original post by inniz
Flame me if you will, but Celtic is the bigger club. European Cup is the decider IMO. And before Rangers get back in the SPL, Celtic may break their world record national leagues record (though I think Linfield did, can't remember).

You are wrong. Rangers are domestically the most successful club in the world. Celtic won the European cup but they have never surpassed Rangers in literal success

Quick Reply

Latest