The Student Room Group

Warwick or Bath for international management?

Which university would you recommend for taking the Bsc International Management? Both universities have great business schools, but looking at uni stats Bath has better statistics (higher interest in course, better feedback and satisfaction, better graduate prospects, etc...) and I hear that it is a really nice city. I´ve heard Warwick is a bit boring and isolated but has more of a reputation on an international scale.
However, looking at rankings for the course, Bath is rising and is the highest ranked (the complete university guide) and Warwick is dropping down the league tables.

I won't have the opportunity to visit either as I live abroad, so can anyone with experience or knowledge of the course/ uni give me some input or recommendations?
Original post by Gogpo2
Which university would you recommend for taking the Bsc International Management? Both universities have great business schools, but looking at uni stats Bath has better statistics (higher interest in course, better feedback and satisfaction, better graduate prospects, etc...) and I hear that it is a really nice city. I´ve heard Warwick is a bit boring and isolated but has more of a reputation on an international scale.
However, looking at rankings for the course, Bath is rising and is the highest ranked (the complete university guide) and Warwick is dropping down the league tables.

I won't have the opportunity to visit either as I live abroad, so can anyone with experience or knowledge of the course/ uni give me some input or recommendations?

Shame no one replied. I'm stuck between these two courses
Reply 2
I hold a conditional offer (which is already firmed) for International Management and Modern Languages at Bath University, but my best friend has an offer from Warwick. We are both from Bulgaria and it is hard to tell if Bath or Warwick is better.We do not get the chance to visit the both unis .. You could see the ranking in The Complete University Guide or The Guardian. Last time that I've checked Warwick was the second right after Oxford .. Warwick's score is really high because of the Entry Standarts. It is true that if you look closely, you will notice that Bath has higher score in the other components .. Plus - Bath is considered as the top uni for student satisfaction, finding a job 6 months after the course is 86 while Warwick has 79 .. you could check the statistics. If you have An Year Abroad, I could say that Warwick has excellent partner unis all around the world, so does Bath but the choice isn't that big.Other advantage of Bath is that the town is small, it is peacefull, it is situated near Bristol and not that far from London. I am not really informed about Warwick but I think is a bit isolated and boring.Something very appealling is the international reputation of Warwick. I'm not sure but I think Warwick is the 34th uni for business and management in the international ranking. I have never planned on applying to Warwick.I do not consider Warwick offers as "normal" .. They are way too high compared to other unis but this doesn't mean that the university is better than the others. Personally, I think that the first Five unis in the rankings offer almost the same carrer placements,teaching,etc. I think when it comes to choosing the university where we are going to spend the next 4-5 years or more, you should listen to you inner voice .. Check the campus ( Bath offers a 3D "walk"), check the photos of the rooms, check the city, the bars , etc. I consider these two universities as equal.If you are enough motivated you will gain everything which they could offer you and benefit as much as you can.
Reply 3
Also, you should be thankfull that you are not choosing between Staffordshire and Robert Gordon for example :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by darnia
I hold a conditional offer (which is already firmed) for International Management and Modern Languages at Bath University, but my best friend has an offer from Warwick. We are both from Bulgaria and it is hard to tell if Bath or Warwick is better.We do not get the chance to visit the both unis .. You could see the ranking in The Complete University Guide or The Guardian. Last time that I've checked Warwick was the second right after Oxford .. Warwick's score is really high because of the Entry Standarts. It is true that if you look closely, you will notice that Bath has higher score in the other components .. Plus - Bath is considered as the top uni for student satisfaction, finding a job 6 months after the course is 86 while Warwick has 79 .. you could check the statistics. If you have An Year Abroad, I could say that Warwick has excellent partner unis all around the world, so does Bath but the choice isn't that big.Other advantage of Bath is that the town is small, it is peacefull, it is situated near Bristol and not that far from London. I am not really informed about Warwick but I think is a bit isolated and boring.Something very appealling is the international reputation of Warwick. I'm not sure but I think Warwick is the 34th uni for business and management in the international ranking. I have never planned on applying to Warwick.I do not consider Warwick offers as "normal" .. They are way too high compared to other unis but this doesn't mean that the university is better than the others. Personally, I think that the first Five unis in the rankings offer almost the same carrer placements,teaching,etc. I think when it comes to choosing the university where we are going to spend the next 4-5 years or more, you should listen to you inner voice .. Check the campus ( Bath offers a 3D "walk"), check the photos of the rooms, check the city, the bars , etc. I consider these two universities as equal.If you are enough motivated you will gain everything which they could offer you and benefit as much as you can.

Thanks for your input, after quite a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that Bath is the better university. For business and management related courses such as ours, Bath appears to be the best in the UK in many aspects.

The only thing now is that my course includes a study abroad year and Warwich appears to have the better partner universities. Still, I think I'm going to firm Bath. Although I live abroad too, I plan to visit an open day in April to get the "feel" for it. Anyway, might see you there next year :smile:
Reply 5
yes I hope we will. It is true that Warwick has better partner universities but I don't think that this has such a big importance.Where do you come from ?
Reply 6
Original post by Gogpo2
Thanks for your input, after quite a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that Bath is the better university. For business and management related courses such as ours, Bath appears to be the best in the UK in many aspects.

The only thing now is that my course includes a study abroad year and Warwich appears to have the better partner universities. Still, I think I'm going to firm Bath. Although I live abroad too, I plan to visit an open day in April to get the "feel" for it. Anyway, might see you there next year :smile:

I think you've made a great choice! I had to chose between Bath or Warwick for BSc International Management this year and I picked Bath after lots of research! hope you enjoyed
Warwick has a much stronger reputation over the world than Bath and is more prestigious. I'm from the states and nobody really knows about Bath. Bath is good as well so I suggest you visit each Uni first before hand. It isn't actually rising at all, it's a year younger than Warwick yet Warwick has made it to the international news, opening a new campus in California, being connected with the Ivies and other great institutions like the UCs and Monash, Tokyo etc.

In terms of social life, I've had the greatest time at Warwick! It is what you make of it, honestly, it is not boring at all. :smile:
Warwick has a much stronger reputation, but choose on what you feel the most comfortable at.
Reply 9
Warwick has a stronger international reputation as a university, that is clear, but Bath's school of management is becoming known worldwide as well and social life in Bath is fantastic. I know Warwick is far from being boring because I have friends who went there and loved it, but the City of Bath is really a game changer since the cities around Warwick aren't good at all. Both campuses are great. My advice would be pick the place that you like the most.. choose on what you feel is the best. I chose Bath and I am more than happy about it. In fact, I would even say it has been the best decision of my life.
Reply 10
Bored people are boring people. Every university has an onslaught of 6,000+ new faces eager to make friends and connect. If you can't make friends when they're delivered to you on a silver platter - it's not the geography of the university that's the problem, it's you.

I had a great time at Warwick. Graduated from the business school in Management. The business school is nothing short of incredible. The facilities are awesome, the people are smart (sitting next to exchange students from Wharton & Cornell was pretty cool), and you won't get better career prospects. No employer will look at a Warwick Business School degree and think "ah. Shame." As others have said, we're 2nd on Guardian's table, and we hover around the top 5 in others. The general feel is that Bath is our 'competitor'. They're more or less equal. Hypothetically if there were two applicants with a 2.1 from Warwick or Bath, the decision to hire wouldn't be based on education - it'd be on your extra circulars.

With 200+ societies at Warwick and top of the range facilities, there's really no excuse to be bored. It will be a personal problem rather than a systemic one.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogpo2

7 years on this post has not aged well. Warwick Business School is now 24th for Business and Management vs bath 72nd in the world. They opened a new and beautiful state of the art building in 2015. Bath Management/ International Management requires AAA WBS requires A*AA.
For pure Management the only better university than Warwick is LSE.

Best universities for Management IMO

1st) LSE AAA including Maths
2nd) Warwick Business School A*AA
3rd) UCl AAA including Maths
4th) KCL A*AA
5th) Bath/ Durham/Manchester/ Bristol
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest