The Student Room Group

How important is being 'funny'?

I'm just curious.

I don't consider myself as funny and I would like to know how much this would affect my relationship with a girl. I'm really academically motivated and I'm not really funny at all tbh. I'm one of the guys who smiles a lot, but don't really make others laugh. Well maybe small, tiny laugh, but not really those that will burst others into laughter.

I'm 17 and I have had a couple girls (maybe 5-6) being interested in me over the years, and I also kinda get told that I'm cute from girls.

Just character wise, I think I'm quite nice and caring, but when it comes to joking, I'm not really good at it. How much would this affect my relationship?
Reply 1
You've got no chance, mate.
Funny + Money = Honeys.

Naah, I kid.
Who knows :wink:
Reply 2
So what. The girl can be funny, you can laugh at all her jokes and the world will keep spinning :wink:.

I'm reasonably funny, as long as he can laugh along with me he doesn't have to be 'funny'.
Reply 3
looks and being funny are everything
I don't know as I've only ever dated funny guys so I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone who wasn't that humorous. Maybe they'd have it make up for it in other areas :smile:
Reply 5
Laddish banter gets tiring as you get older.
Well if your a looker as you seem to make out it doesn't really matter , just be confident.
I don't think it will hinder your relationships much at all. Personally I sometimes find guys that constantly try to be funny exhausting and too in your face.
i think everyone is funny in their own way, without realizing.
I love guys who can make me laugh, and I love making them laugh :smile: I couldn't really be with someone who was too serious or didn't get my sense of humour
tbh I like funny guys, there's always something to talk about and its nice to have a good laugh...
I don't think I've ever met someone who can't make somebody else laugh every now and then.

It's one of those weird terms, 'a funny guy'.
You don't even have to be 'funny' to make someone laugh. You don't need to be an undiscovered comedian, you don't even need to be witty.

It's another one of those terms that really don't mean anything.
If you spend ten minutes with a group of friends/people, you'll all chip in to the conversation and you'll all say something that gets a laugh off everyone else. Does that mean you're all 'funny guys' that girls seem to want?

Unless they seriously mean a guy (we all know at least one) who makes a 'joke' out of everything anyone says, which gets annoying very fast.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by chocolatesauce
tbh I like funny guys, there's always something to talk about and its nice to have a good laugh...

This just made my day :biggrin:
Original post by jay2013
This just made my day :biggrin:

awww really now? maybe I should remove my post then :tongue: what do I get in return for making your day?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
UNM
OP
Wow thanks for all of your lovely replies.

When I said I'm not funny, I wasn't saying that I'm always dead serious :redface: I was just saying that I'm not the comedian type. Whenever someone said they like a funny guy, I wasn't sure if they meant really laughing out loud or just small giggle.

I can of course small talk and all, but I was just wondering if being the class comedian is really necessary for a good or healthy relationship. Guess it's all fine :smile:
Reply 15
Reply 16
Original post by chocolatesauce
awww really now? maybe I should remove my post then :tongue: what do I get in return for making your day?

I big fat wet :kiss2:
Original post by jay2013
I big fat wet :kiss2:

:colondollar: perhaps I shouldn't take my post down then lol
you'll find a girl who appreciates you for who you are, and will probably find you funny regardless. Being funny doesn't necessarily mean you come out with witty jokes/comments all the time. To be honest, i know a few guys like that and i actually find it annoying. Yet, I still like 'funny' guys. So, the definition varies depending on who you are.
Reply 19
So long as you don't try to force out really bad jokes (I mean, some bad jokes are HILARIOUS and some are just bad) you should be fine. Of course it's nice when someone can make you laugh. Though it's just as nice when team effort is involved in the creation of a joke, and I'm sure everyone can do it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending