The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3: Revolution, Republic and Restoration, 1629-67 (JUNE 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
God this exam more then anything reminds me how much I despise the whole Russian roulette of exams. Heck, many colleges don't even cover the whole spectrum.

If you get a topic that you are very potent at then you will excel, if you just happen to get your Achilles heel your ****ed. :s-smilie:
Anything pre- King's execution & I'll be happy for section A. Not keen at all on Commonwealth, partially because I've avoided revising it :/
Reply 102
Section A has 2 possible questions so hopefully pre-execution question :biggrin:
Original post by cam.2013
Section A has 2 possible questions so hopefully pre-execution question :biggrin:

Yeah I think at least 1 is guaranteed - unless they do the restoration again, at which point i'll be royally screwed. Who knows, we could be lucky & get something on the personal rule and settlement. I'd be spoilt for choice haha!
Reply 104
Good luck to everyone!
So how did everyone find it?
Original post by henrysaunders1
So how did everyone find it?

Hey ,

So I have just finished unit 4 , the coursework module.I got 25/25 for Part b and 23/25 for part a.

I am concerned about unit 3. Im doing the same tpic as you did , England and Charles etc. but I cant find any decent textbooks.When you were doing this unit last year how did u learn for it? where did u make ur notes from? in addition , ,if u have any good notes or essays would u mind sending them to me as at the mo im in a bit of a pickle regardin gthis unit.

Many thanks in advance ,

Peter X
Original post by peter qwert
Hey ,

So I have just finished unit 4 , the coursework module.I got 25/25 for Part b and 23/25 for part a.

I am concerned about unit 3. Im doing the same tpic as you did , England and Charles etc. but I cant find any decent textbooks.When you were doing this unit last year how did u learn for it? where did u make ur notes from? in addition , ,if u have any good notes or essays would u mind sending them to me as at the mo im in a bit of a pickle regardin gthis unit.

Many thanks in advance ,

Peter X

Hi Peter,

I have to say the textbook selection for that unit was poor. I purchased The English Civil Wars by Blair Worden. It, as you probably guessed, only covered the civil war section but is quite useful and obviously you could mention Worden as a part of historiography. I would send you all the stuff I have but I have had a bit of a dig around and appear to have lost all of my A-level work. Maybe I deleted it all off my computer in some spur of unbridled relief.

Re the text book. If you wanted to pay for the postage I can send it to you as I have no use for it whatsoever any more!

I wouldn't get too worried about it though. I was getting C's in practice essays we were doing and came out to my delight with an A in the exam. Although now being at Uni I wish I could go back to the days of A-Levels!

Henry
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 108
Hi Peter,

I have to say the textbook selection for that unit was poor. I purchased The English Civil Wars by Blair Worden. It, as you probably guessed, only covered the civil war section but is quite useful and obviously you could mention Worden as a part of historiography. I would send you all the stuff I have but I have had a bit of a dig around and appear to have lost all of my A-level work. Maybe I deleted it all off my computer in some spur of unbridled relief.

Re the text book. If you wanted to pay for the postage I can send it to you as I have no use for it whatsoever any more!

I wouldn't get too worried about it though. I was getting C's in practice essays we were doing and came out to my delight with an A in the exam. Although now being at Uni I wish I could go back to the days of A-Levels!

Henry

Hi Henry
I would just like to ask how would/did you revise for this topic. (I have an awful history teacher... who doesn't really teacher and I wouldn't say I'm feeling good for this upcoming mock...)

Kira
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 109
Also how was the exam (even if it was a while ago)- were the questions ok?
Hi Peter,

is it a massive risk to only learn 1 controvosy and only 1 part for part a being the Charles part?? not sure pls reply
Henry
, what have u done
Let's continue this thread guys for this summer's exam (2014) if anyone had any notes/tips feel free to post and I will do the same.

One question I have for you guys is the importance of mentioning different historical interpretations for section B (I will defo be doing side tacking) ie. Marxist perspective. It obviously has to fit in with the sources given but according to my teacher its really not that important to mention?! Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by gooner4ever
Let's continue this thread guys for this summer's exam (2014) if anyone had any notes/tips feel free to post and I will do the same.

One question I have for you guys is the importance of mentioning different historical interpretations for section B (I will defo be doing side tacking) ie. Marxist perspective. It obviously has to fit in with the sources given but according to my teacher its really not that important to mention?! Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick reply
erm I mention Whig/Marxist interpretations in intro saying there's a debate around the question then emphasise the important of Revisionist.

Then start linking and analysing sources - better if any could apply to any interpretations, but still conclude Revisionist argument is the most valid.
Reply 113
Original post by KiraM23
Quick reply
erm I mention Whig/Marxist interpretations in intro saying there's a debate around the question then emphasise the important of Revisionist.

Then start linking and analysing sources - better if any could apply to any interpretations, but still conclude Revisionist argument is the most valid.

Is it possible for a 30 marker on the Protectorate despite it being the topic of the 40 markers?
Original post by KiraM23
Is it possible for a 30 marker on the Protectorate despite it being the topic of the 40 markers?

What you guys predicting to come up ?
Original post by peter qwert
What you guys predicting to come up ?

A couple of questions.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KiraM23

No, they can't ask a question on the same topics as the controversy questions in the first half of the paper. But they could ask stuff immediately before or immediately after; for example, though a 40 marker might ask about side-taking in the civil war, a 30 marker could ask why Parliament won the civil war. Similar kind of area, but not quite the same!

How is everyone feeling for the exam? Gotta say, I'm a little worried. What do you reckon are the chances of a question on the Rump/Barebones coming up?
Reply 117
Original post by ellepotter
No, they can't ask a question on the same topics as the controversy questions in the first half of the paper. But they could ask stuff immediately before or immediately after; for example, though a 40 marker might ask about side-taking in the civil war, a 30 marker could ask why Parliament won the civil war. Similar kind of area, but not quite the same!

How is everyone feeling for the exam? Gotta say, I'm a little worried. What do you reckon are the chances of a question on the Rump/Barebones coming up?

YAAAY an actual answer! :biggrin: (I may not revise for the Protectorate that much...) They could ask the Rump but I doubt a question could pop up with Barebones. However, a question could cover both? I.e why did they fail?
Original post by KiraM23
YAAAY an actual answer! :biggrin: (I may not revise for the Protectorate that much...) They could ask the Rump but I doubt a question could pop up with Barebones. However, a question could cover both? I.e why did they fail?

My teacher said that they wouldn't ask a question that limited - focusing on 1649-53, it's better to just revise it as background knowledge for the protectorate controversy. Rather, they're asking why there was no settlement to take place :smile: - the army, the king, parliament and religious extremists.
Reply 119
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
My teacher said that they wouldn't ask a question that limited - focusing on 1649-53, it's better to just revise it as background knowledge for the protectorate controversy. Rather, they're asking why there was no settlement to take place :smile: - the army, the king, parliament and religious extremists.

Could they ask a question revolving radical sects like Quakers or fifth monarchists? Just seems too...horrid as a subject? Or Levellers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending