The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sugarbelly
I'm really still unsure when I would be booking accommodation for :s-smilie:

Depending on your role, you should be able to guess, for example, your role description will state if you are wanted before games time, that is for example, uniform or a village role. Otherwise you will just book when the games take place.
Reply 241
So I recently received a email saying that I have been successful and I have gone onto the portal to accept the position however I am unable to book a time for my orientation training... Did anyone wise have this problem?
Reply 242
Original post by canvey93
So I recently received a email saying that I have been successful and I have gone onto the portal to accept the position however I am unable to book a time for my orientation training... Did anyone wise have this problem?

If i remember correctly you should get a separate invite to the orientation session a few days ater your offer of a role. Sure that's what happened with me.
Anyone going to the orientation on the 8th March? :h:
Original post by Sugarbelly
Oh awesome! Unfortunately not no, I'd just assumed it was athletics :s-smilie:
Yeah I've emailed them, and they asked for evidence so I sent them my proof of enrollment here and all. I just arrived yesterday !
I'm going on my own, what about you?

ah ok, cool. So are you just going to have to miss the training sessions then?
Yeh I'm going on my own too! But I'm sure there will be lots of people in our position that we can get to know :biggrin:
ah ok, cool. So are you just going to have to miss the training sessions then?

Its been said, that if you miss orientation, you forfeit the right to be a volunteer. Now how true that is, I don't know, but anyone phoning up saying they will not be there, have been asked to supply written proof.
Reply 246
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Anyone going to the orientation on the 8th March? :h:

Yep I am! Afternoon session though! :smile:
Original post by Hero-H
Yep I am! Afternoon session though! :smile:

Same :smile: What area are you working in? I'm in the medical team.
Reply 248
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Same :smile: What area are you working in? I'm in the medical team.

Oh superrrr! I'm in Spectator Services :smile:
Reply 249
Original post by Hero-H
Oh superrrr! I'm in Spectator Services :smile:

Oh hi there! I'm the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250
Original post by BAZ1NGA
Oh hi there! I'm the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant! :smile: which session are you going to?
Reply 251
Original post by Hero-H
Brilliant! :smile: which session are you going to?

Half three on Saturday the eighth, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 252
Original post by BAZ1NGA
Half three on Saturday the eighth, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same session exactly! I'm really looking forward to it - where are you travelling up from? :smile:
Original post by Divingbrit
Its been said, that if you miss orientation, you forfeit the right to be a volunteer. Now how true that is, I don't know, but anyone phoning up saying they will not be there, have been asked to supply written proof.

Well I've supplied the proof, still sort of in touch with the Glasgow 2014 contact team, and after sending them another email to see if that had been okay seeing as I'd received an email regarding Role Training sessions, they told me they'd passed on my proof and that I would be contacted soon. That was last Monday... hopefully they've not forgotten.
Reply 254
A bit of a longshot but unfortunately my training session on the 8th March finishes at 6pm - coinciding with the last train back to Birmingham on that night so I'd have to stay over! I can't get there for the morning session and the 7th I won't be able to get off!

I'm looking at potentially staying in a youth hostel overnight - I was wondering whether anybody on here who has the training session on the 8th too and is considering staying overnight would like to share a room?

Reply 255
has everybody sorted out accommodation for the games yet? anybody got any idea where they are staying? I'm finding it such a headache with not knowing my volunteering schedule.
Reply 256
Original post by raboro
has everybody sorted out accommodation for the games yet? anybody got any idea where they are staying? I'm finding it such a headache with not knowing my volunteering schedule.

I haven't, I was thinking a hostel but unsure where would be best :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raboro

Probably easier to wait til after orientation etc? Hopefully will get more details on dates then, and you might meet people you could book a hostel dorm with? I'm getting funding from the Volunteer Support thing so waiting for them to confirm accom expenses before I book anything, hoping since I'm working the pre-Games period it shouldn't be too hard to find a place to stay.
Luckily I own my flat till end of August so will have somewhere to stay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending