The Student Room Group
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University

Mechanical and offshore engineering?

Hey thinking about applying for this course for next September. Is it any good?
Original post by MegzzKid

I did straight mechanical but mech & offshore is a fantastic course with excellent graduate opportunities.
Moot Law Court, Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University
Reply 2
I've applied for this course too. Now I'm just waiting for offers to come through. I also applied for Petroleum Eng, so I have to decide which is best, it would be great if anyone could give me some info. Cheers!
Original post by JakBeagle
I've applied for this course too. Now I'm just waiting for offers to come through. I also applied for Petroleum Eng, so I have to decide which is best, it would be great if anyone could give me some info. Cheers!

Mech & offshore gives you a lot more opportunities. But if you have your heart set on becoming a petroleum engineer then petroleum engineering would help more, although you can still become a petroleum engineer with a mech degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Mech & offshore gives you a lot more opportunities. But if you have your heart set on becoming a petroleum engineer then petroleum engineering would help more, although you can still become a petroleum engineer with a mech degree.

Thanks for you help, and if for some reason I chose Petroleum Eng, would I still have a good knowledge in Mech Eng?
Thanks for you help, and if for some reason I chose Petroleum Eng, would I still have a good knowledge in Mech Eng?

Nope.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Nope.

Oh, so now I'm a bit lost :frown:
I thought that both degrees were to some extent similar, but I suppose Petroleum focuses more on the extraction, and Mech & Offshore on the construction of rigs and all the pipelines, is that right?
I'm a bit lost at the moment, I'll have to do loads of research to make my mind up :s-smilie:
Oh, so now I'm a bit lost :frown:
I thought that both degrees were to some extent similar, but I suppose Petroleum focuses more on the extraction, and Mech & Offshore on the construction of rigs and all the pipelines, is that right?
I'm a bit lost at the moment, I'll have to do loads of research to make my mind up :s-smilie:

Pet eng focuses on oil reservoirs, how they flow and produce and the most efficient ways to do it.

Mech eng is a degree that teaches mechanical principles, which can be put towards just about anything. In terms of oil & gas, that includes practically the entire platform/rig, as it's essentially just a big mechanical facility, as well as subsea equipment, pipelines, and drilling and downhole equipment. Basically everything in oil & gas, really. So you can see why I said that mechanical gives you a lot more opportunities.
Original post by MegzzKid

Make sure you work hard, it's a popular course choice. I got a conditional this year an I got 4A's at higher in 5th year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
Pet eng focuses on oil reservoirs, how they flow and produce and the most efficient ways to do it.

Mech eng is a degree that teaches mechanical principles, which can be put towards just about anything. In terms of oil & gas, that includes practically the entire platform/rig, as it's essentially just a big mechanical facility, as well as subsea equipment, pipelines, and drilling and downhole equipment. Basically everything in oil & gas, really. So you can see why I said that mechanical gives you a lot more opportunities.

Okay, I really appreciate your help. Just one last question, if I did Pet Eng, would I have the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a field or drilling engineer?
(edited 10 years ago)
Okay, I really appreciate your help. Just one last question, if I did Pet Eng, would I have the necessary skills and knowledge to work as a field or drilling engineer?

I think the companies that hire field engineers (the ones like Baker, Hallliburton and Schlumberger) hire pretty much any engineering discipline, they just want someone with an engineering background that can work hard in harsh conditions.

For drilling engineering it depends. Some companies, like above, recruit almost any discipline into drilling whereas others like a mechanical background, because there is a lot of mechanical engineering in drilling.

I would just do the Mech & Offshore degree, and once you've been studying for a few years and looked into the industry a bit more decide whether you want to continue to MEng level or do an MSc in petroleum engineering.
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
I think the companies that hire field engineers (the ones like Baker, Hallliburton and Schlumberger) hire pretty much any engineering discipline, they just want someone with an engineering background that can work hard in harsh conditions.

For drilling engineering it depends. Some companies, like above, recruit almost any discipline into drilling whereas others like a mechanical background, because there is a lot of mechanical engineering in drilling.

I would just do the Mech & Offshore degree, and once you've been studying for a few years and looked into the industry a bit more decide whether you want to continue to MEng level or do an MSc in petroleum engineering.

Thanks again for your help, you're really knowleadgeable!
To do the Mech & Offshore is probably the best option, and RGU seems like a very cool place, although the Petroleum one (I might be completely wrong) seems fairly easier
Reply 12
Quick update, been offered an unconditional, so it's highly likely that I'll accept it. Anyone else?
Quick update, been offered an unconditional, so it's highly likely that I'll accept it. Anyone else?

hi,
i am thinking of joining RGU for masters in oil and gas engineering,can help me by telling how is the course and university , what are job opportunities

Quick Reply

Latest