The Student Room Group

differentiating trig

find dy/dx of siny=xcos2x

No idea where to start :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma201295
find dy/dx of siny=xcos2x

No idea where to start :frown:

Do you know about implicit differentiation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by majmuh24
Do you know about implicit differentiation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not unless it can be called something else too :/ I've done integration by parts, by inspection, by substitution but that's all
Not unless it can be called something else too :/ I've done integration by parts, by inspection, by substitution but that's all

It allows you to differentiate functions of y with respect to x by defining the derivative of y WRT x as dy/dx and then using the chain rule on these functions of y.

Are you talking about integration or differentiation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have sort of already done implicit differentiation; you do it whenever you normally differentiate something. Basically, wherever you would differentiate something containing a y, differentiate it as if it contains an x instead, but then multiply it by dy/dx. A normal equation where the subject is y gives a differentiated equation with dy/dx as the subject. In this case, you will then need to rearrange to find dy/dx in terms of both x's and y's.

I hope that makes some sense!
Reply 5

Those are integration things, this is differentiation. If you haven't done implicit differentiation then this question is much more difficult, I would wait untill you cover it in class.
Reply 6
It allows you to differentiate functions of y with respect to x by defining the derivative of y WRT x as dy/dx and then using the chain rule on these functions of y.

Are you talking about integration or differentiation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha sorry differentiation the stress is clearly sending me stupid :P
Reply 7
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You have sort of already done implicit differentiation; you do it whenever you normally differentiate something. Basically, wherever you would differentiate something containing a y, differentiate it as if it contains an x instead, but then multiply it by dy/dx. A normal equation where the subject is y gives a differentiated equation with dy/dx as the subject. In this case, you will then need to rearrange to find dy/dx in terms of both x's and y's.

I hope that makes some sense!

Sorry none at all, could you lay it out as steps.
I man surely the equation needs to be layed out as y=.. or x=...etc how can you dfferetiate when it is split as it is?
hahaha sorry differentiation the stress is clearly sending me stupid :P

So do you understand what implicit differentiation is then?

Basically, the derivative of y WRT x is dy/dx and you treat all functions of y as a function of a function and use the chain rule on them to get a function of dy/dx, which you can then rearrange to get the derivative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
could someone lay out steps of how to go about this as all the mathsy language is just confusing me I'm afraid :frown:
could someone lay out steps of how to go about this as all the mathsy language is just confusing me I'm afraid :frown:

I'll start it off.

Using implicit differentiation, you can get

\dfrac{dy}{dx} (sin(y)=x \cos(2x)) \\ \\ = (cos(y) \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \cos(2x) - 2x \sin(2x))

by using the product rule on the RHS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I'll start it off.

Using implicit differentiation, you can get

\dfrac{dy}{dx} (sin(y)=x \cos(2x)) \\ \\ = (cos(y) \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \cos(2x) + 2x \cos(2x))

by using the product rule on the RHS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where you've used product rule does cos2x not differentiate to -2sin2x? Sorry
Sorry none at all, could you lay it out as steps.
I man surely the equation needs to be layed out as y=.. or x=...etc how can you dfferetiate when it is split as it is?

Implicit differentiation lets you deal with the weird cases like in your OP. I don't like calling it implicit differentiation though. It's just an application of the chain rule.

So suppose I have y2=cos(x)y^2=\cos(x) and I need to differentiate it. Well then:

ddxy2=ddxcos(x)\dfrac{d}{dx}y^2=\dfrac{d}{dx} \cos(x).

Take u(x)=y(x)2u(x)=y(x)^2 . Then we use the chain rule and get dudx=dudydydx=2ydydx\dfrac{du}{dx}=\dfrac{du}{dy} \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2y\dfrac{dy}{dx}.

Since u(x)=y(x)2u(x)=y(x)^2, we have ddxy2=2ydydx\dfrac{d}{dx}y^2=2y\dfrac{dy}{dx}.

So going back, we find the derivative is 2ydydx=sin(x)2y\dfrac{dy}{dx}=-\sin(x).

Of course that's not explicitly written, but you can rearrange.. You can't do any better than having y's around either. Hopefully you now see how to apply this to your problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Got it thanks everyone :biggrin:
where you've used product rule does cos2x not differentiate to -2sin2x? Sorry

Whoops sorry :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got it thanks everyone :biggrin:

What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the answer in the text book which is cos2x-2xsin2x/cosy
the answer in the text book which is cos2x-2xsin2x/cosy

If you mean cos(2x)2xsin(2x)cos(y)\dfrac{\cos (2x)-2x \sin (2x)}{\cos (y)} , that looks good to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Any idea how to integrate 2/x -1/(x+1)^2 -2/x+1 ?
Any idea how to integrate 2/x -1/(x+1)^2 -2/x+1 ?

What do you mean? That equation is pretty ambiguous, any chance you could use
Latex or place brackets around the parts that you mean :redface:

Do you mean 2x1(x+1)22x+1 \dfrac{2}{x} - \dfrac{1}{(x+1)^2} - \dfrac{2}{x+1}

I assume it's something to do with natural logarithms though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest