The Student Room Group

Do I need science at GCSE?

Hey I really want to become a computer science teacher and already have my maths and English GCSE. But im really bad at science and am predicted a D. Can I become a secondary computer science teacher without GCSE science because I have been told that it is possible.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ICTlover
Hey I really want to become a computer science teacher and already have my maths and English GCSE. But im really bad at science and am predicted a D. Can I become a secondary computer science teacher without GCSE science because I have been told that it is possible.

It's possible, but applying to CS with low GCSE science grades doesn't look fantastic. What subjects are you planning on taking at A-Level?
It is possible, but a D grade in GCSE is not exactly going to help you. What did you get for Maths?
Reply 3
It is possible, realistic on the other hand... If you're applying to CS then you should have a decent grade at a science at GCSE. I did physics and hated it so I know where you're coming from. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
It's possible, but applying to CS with low GCSE science grades doesn't look fantastic. What subjects are you planning on taking at A-Level?

Original post by Chlorophile
It is possible, but a D grade in GCSE is not exactly going to help you. What did you get for Maths?

Im planning on taking a BTEC level 3 in gaming computing. I also got a C for maths.
Im planning on taking a BTEC level 3 in gaming computing. I also got a C for maths.

I'm not really sure that's good enough. Computer Science is a branch of Mathematics, not computing. I don't know for certain, but I'm not really sure if a BTEC in Gaming computing is going to get you into a degree level Computer Science course. The fact that you got a C for Maths is worrying bearing in mind that Computer Science is Maths.
Reply 6

Computer science is a very mathematical subject, and having maths at no higher than a GCSE grade C is going to hinder your application far more than a D at GCSE science. Have you considered either taking a less specific BTEC (gaming computing does not translate well to computer science later on) or applying to IT instead? There's a huge difference between CS and IT.
Reply 7
Original post by Damask-
Computer science is a very mathematical subject, and having maths at no higher than a GCSE grade C is going to hinder your application far more than a D at GCSE science. Have you considered either taking a less specific BTEC (gaming computing does not translate well to computer science later on) or applying to IT instead? There's a huge difference between CS and IT.

My main goal was to become an ICT teacher but apparently they are not called that any more.
Reply 8
My main goal was to become an ICT teacher but apparently they are not called that any more.

You'll be able to do your PGCE in whatever the job title is called by the time you graduate having taken IT or Computer Science, so if I were you, I'd apply for IT. You'll enjoy it more.
Reply 9
Original post by Damask-
You'll be able to do your PGCE in whatever the job title is called by the time you graduate having taken IT or Computer Science, so if I were you, I'd apply for IT. You'll enjoy it more.

IT is mainly what I want to do. I did not realise there was such a difference between computer science and IT.
Reply 10
IT is mainly what I want to do. I did not realise there was such a difference between computer science and IT.

Very simply speaking, IT is using the hardware and software to do things and CS is learning the logic and science that enables you to build the software in the first place.
Have a look at the entrance requirements for some computer science degrees, your level 3 BTEC and maths GCSE may not meet them. If the websites don't say explicitly then email the admissions departments.
Reply 12
Original post by Damask-
Very simply speaking, IT is using the hardware and software to do things and CS is learning the logic and science that enables you to build the software in the first place.

Thank you. You have been very helpful and I now have a better understanding of what I have to do. And Ive decided to do an IT course now rather than computer science.
Reply 13
Thank you. You have been very helpful and I now have a better understanding of what I have to do. And Ive decided to do an IT course now rather than computer science.

Glad I could help. :smile:
Reply 14
Well I've applied for a Computer Science PGCE, and got a C in Maths and D in Science.

Most universities require a C in Maths and English, as well as a related degree at 2:2 or higher.

Time will tell. :smile:

Most secondary PGCE courses will be Computer Science based these days, rather than ICT/IT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

IT is being phased out of the curriculum and replaced with computer science. By the time you graduate most pgces will be computer science, not IT. Just something to think about...
Reply 16
Original post by Shelly_x
IT is being phased out of the curriculum and replaced with computer science. By the time you graduate most pgces will be computer science, not IT. Just something to think about...

Why is it being phased out?
Reply 18
That is ridiculous!!

That's your opinion but it isn't shared by politicians or IT professionals. ICT has already been disapplied from the National Curriculum and is likely to be eradicated from schools in the very near future. Computer Science/Coding, on the other hand, has the highest level of political support (it has been added to the list of English Baccalaureate subjects) and is likely to feature centrally in the majority of school curriculums.

Quick Reply

Latest