The Student Room Group

Restrictive lung disease - reduced residual volume

Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
Thank you
Original post by jsmith6131
Why does residual volume decrease in restrictive lung disease?
Thank you

Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.
Original post by Rob da Mop
Restrictive lung disease literally decreases the volume of the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis replaces the sponge-like, air-holding lung tissue with scarring, reducing volume. This reduces all lung function numbers.

I'm not sure whether other diseases sometimes classified as restrictive (or with restrictive pictures) like musculoskeletal problems would reduce residual volume, but pulmonary fibrosis is the big, common, important one.

Thanks so much.
I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused :smile:
Original post by jsmith6131
Thanks so much.
I just thought elasicity was affected so was confused :smile:

Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.
Original post by Rob da Mop
Thinking about it some more I'm not sure residual volume would be reduced - are you sure it is? I mean, it will be very slightly, but compared to the changes to FEV1 and FVC I wouldn't expect it to be particularly noticeable myself - I'm with you in your confusion.

But if your lecturers/textbooks are telling you that then what I've said before is the reason I'd go with.

I have been told it would either stay normal or would be reduced. My question was aiming towards understanding why the latter could/would be true.
But it is comforting that you had the same confusion as I had. Nonetheless it is nice to have a plasuable explanation. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending